Florida Concealed Carry banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
That's by choice. If I'm in a situation where I'm being attacked, I really don't care what my employer "allows." I'm going to defend myself and let the chips fall where they may (as it pertains to the job). I really don't get that mentality.
So that brings up a question. :unsure:

So if employers are supposed to have some reasonable level of work place safety for their employees, how does that apply to employees that are sent out in the field to work in an “uncontrolled” environment? If the employer is not providing “security” for the employee when they are ‘off the reservation’ and the employee is on their own, how can an employee be fired for defending themselves when attached while on the job? Seems to me that would be a wrongful termination that would gather an immediate lawsuit from the termed employee?

If you were to go to a conference at a hotel somewhere that was job related and you were being paid to attend, your carrying your firearm as you are not on company property and you use your weapon legally to defend yourself. What grounds do they really have to terminate you? I know my HR is almost unbelievable in terms of ”forgiveness” and not wanting to terminate unless all the I’s are dotted and all tht T’s are crossed and the paper trail on the person is really a lot as they are scared of being sued. I know there are offenses that are grounds for immediate termination but I can’t see how someone that is being attacked gets the axe for defending themselves?

What says the legal eagles on here? :unsure:

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Long story. In Florida, we are an employment at will state. They can fire you for any reason at all. Your employment rights are established by statute, contract, collective-bargaining agreement or some of the federal protections against discrimination based upon the sex, religion, national origin etc.

So, a lot would depend on your contract or agreement.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
They can also fire you for no reason. Correct?
They don't have to articulate any basis for the termination.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Different states have different rules. Florida, as I mentioned, is an at-will employment state. In Florida your employer can fire you if you fart. Many of them do. I can’t tell you how many people came to me tearful after being canned right before their 20 years vested which entitled them to retirement.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
I’ve always heard the same thing. They can fire you for anything...at will employment...and as an hourly employee for the beginning half of my career I believed that very much. However, my believes changed once I go into management and had employees I wanted to fire for many reasons. Boy did I find out in a hurry how protective of the employee HR all of a sudden got and all the paperwork hoops I as management had to go through and document and council and coach....and then take them back to HR and talk some more. Unless they do something terribly egregious its like an act of congress to get rid of them. HR is always saying how they don’t want to get sued for wrongful termination...

That’s the part I don’t understand. My company is terrified, or so they make it seem, of getting sued by a terminated employee and other companies don’t seem to care or worry at all and can/will fire you for any reason or no reason at all? Confused. :unsure:

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Joecarry

Some Some companies are worried about employees making a colorable argument that they were discriminated against because of race, age, sex, color of their skin etc. The first thing that happens in those cases is an EEOC complaint. They do an investigation and then they issue a “right to sue“ letter if justified. That may be an explanation for some of the concern you see.

If your employees have contracts of employment or some sort of collective-bargaining agreement It’s just a little more complicated.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I can’t tell you how many people came to me tearful after being canned right before their 20 years vested which entitled them to retirement.
I would think that any company that does this on a regular basis would be setting themselves up for an age-discrimination lawsuit. No?

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
Joecarry

Some Some companies are worried about employees making a colorable argument that they were discriminated against because of race, age, sex, color of their skin etc. The first thing that happens in those cases is an EEOC complaint. They do an investigation and then they issue a “right to sue“ letter if justified. That may be an explanation for some of the concern you see.

If your employees have contracts of employment or some sort of collective-bargaining agreement It’s just a little more complicated.
Thank you. 👍

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
.... In Florida your employer can fire you if you fart. ...
I almost did once. I spent 10 years literally in a broom closet used as a darkroom developing X-Ray film most the day. I mean tiny little room. No windows, very little ventilation. Dark as blackest of black. (Darkroom light burned out years earlier, I knew my way around by touch and muscle memory) My boss was in there one day w/me, helping to run a crap ton of images when it just happened. One of those “had vending machine food for lunch” room-floggers.

Did I mention it was a film darkroom? You can’t exactly open the door with all that undeveloped film.

Good times! :ROFLMAO:

21 - 31 of 31 Posts