Florida Concealed Carry banner

magnets in your car

16K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  bladenbullet 
#1 ·
I read the other day about A magnet to hold your gun under the dashboard of your car. Is this legal for a ccp holder?

Technology Room Electronic device

See less See more
#4 ·
I don't know, but I have a 2"x1"x1" neodymium (rare earth) magnet that would do this job nicely.
Maybe too nicely?

That sucker is strong! (Strong enough it is not a toy, that's for sure.)
I'd be worried my Glock would stay stuck to the dash. :grin

As for being concealed, my view (which has nothing to do with the law), is that if the firearm isn't obviously visible on the seat, or on the dashboard, then it ought to be considered "concealed".
Otherwise, arrest the viewer for prowling. (i.e., peeking into my car)

That's my thinking anyway.
Too bad the law thinks otherwise.

#6 ·
A simple, small, black drape would fix any issues of it being visible. Or better yet, a small drape the color of your dash/carpet. I would say that while you're in the vehicle the gun will not be visible and therefore would be concealed. If you're not in the vehicle then the gun is not "on or about your person" so it doesn't really matter that it is visible - it's not open carry if it's not on or about your person. That said, if it's visible when you're not in the vehicle then people may see it and break in to take it. But again, a little drape might solve that.

Concealment aside, though I am definitely a Glock fan (all of my carry guns are Glocks), I don't think I'd do it with a Glock. I'd want something with a manual safety to help keep the gun from going bang in a collision, etc. I was stopped once and got hit from behind so hard that it knocked me out and knocked my shoes off (they were "slides", but still). Such an impact would almost surely dislodge a magnet-mounted gun and having a Glock floating around your foot well seems like a recipe for disaster.

Those are my thoughts anyway.

#11 ·
A simple, small, black drape would fix any issues of it being visible. Or better yet, a small drape the color of your dash/carpet. I would say that while you're in the vehicle the gun will not be visible and therefore would be concealed. If you're not in the vehicle then the gun is not "on or about your person" so it doesn't really matter that it is visible - it's not open carry if it's not on or about your person. That said, if it's visible when you're not in the vehicle then people may see it and break in to take it. But again, a little drape might solve that.

Concealment aside, though I am definitely a Glock fan (all of my carry guns are Glocks), I don't think I'd do it with a Glock. I'd want something with a manual safety to help keep the gun from going bang in a collision, etc. I was stopped once and got hit from behind so hard that it knocked me out and knocked my shoes off (they were "slides", but still). Such an impact would almost surely dislodge a magnet-mounted gun and having a Glock floating around your foot well seems like a recipe for disaster.

Those are my thoughts anyway.
The bolded would be my concern as well; where does that handgun go in a collision?

#8 · (Edited)
I thought without CWL it had to be 'securely encased'... With CWL either on your person or 'securely encased' or 'fully concealed'.. i.e. not visible from outside the vehicle.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong... :)

#9 ·
OP stipulated the mode would be for someone with a carry permit, so my answer was predicated upon that.

With or without a CWFL, in a private conveyance, if it is securely encased (of which "snapped in a holster" would qualify) then you're fine - even if it is in plain view. OP's suggestion is not securely encased so that's out.

With a CWFL it need not be securely encased so long as it is hidden from the ordinary view while it is on or about your person. While you're sitting in the vehicle most likely the OP's suggestion would be hidden from the ordinary view. If he exits the vehicle it would most likely be in plain view, but it is no longer on or about his person so not a violation of 790.053. That said, in plain view it is a theft risk, hence my suggestion for a drape (or alternatively, stow the gun or transition to on-body carry when exiting the vehicle).

#10 ·
A bad place because your gun will be well exposed when you open your car door to get in or out.
It is as bad as the under the steering wheel bracket to hold a gun.
If your gun is small enough, Put it onto the top of the sun visor
Ronnie

#13 ·
Interesting question as to effects on reliability of the gun. Don't think I'd want the internals of my handgun becoming magnetized.

#18 ·
I knew I could put my hands on the holster pretty quick, so here's some pics for your edification. This leather holster could be set up with velcro or straps and stuck about anywhere for easy access yet hidden.

The sig 227 is shown attached to the magnet, not a lightweight gun, but you couldn't shake the gun off without some brute strength, and it would never unarse from the magnet while carrying it on the belt.

For carry, the general consensus with customers and the shop guys was it wasn't acceptable.

Attachments

#19 ·
Always the great educator, you are! :thumsup

BTW, if you ever decide to get rid of that P227 SAS Gen2, let me know. When my DPRofMD house sells, hopefully within a month or so, I'm buying myself a present for all the work on it I'm currently doing to get it ready. :grin

#25 ·
Don't know if I missed it somewhere here but my biggest concern with a magnet on the slide is the possibility of pulling the gun out of battery on the draw...every time i see the video of the underpass magnet and using it to rack the slide all I can think of them riding the slide...not good....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.