1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
58,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Carrying an extra mag or two,

1. where are they carried
2. projectiles forward or to the rear
3. do you practice reloading/recharging the firearm
4. can you make a mag change from where you carry the spare/s in 1 second; 2 seconds

· Registered
447 Posts

4. can you make a mag change from where you carry the spare/s in 1 second; 2 seconds
1. 9:00,10;00 AND WEAK SIDE BACK POCKET
2.REAR
3. Sometimes
4. Beats me. When needed, I just change them. No idea on time.

· Registered
7,923 Posts
1. where are they carried. Weak side at 9:00 or pocket (Kahr CW .380 only)
2. projectiles forward or to the rear Hahahahahah. I made you write that one from the other thread! Forward. No idea how anyone can carry backwards but if it works for you….
3. do you practice reloading/recharging the firearm. Yes but not all the time as normal range won‘t allow it. I do home practice for that.
4. can you make a mag change from where you carry the spare/s in 1 second; 2 seconds. Great question and I‘ve honestly never timed myself but that gives me something to think about and ply with now. Thanks.
5. How many spare mags/rounds do you carry? That is dependent on the EDC at that time. G45 will have a total of three mags. One in gun and two on weak side hip 9:00. They are fitted with the Taran +6 base plates giving me a total of 70 rounds with that platform. Next would be P365 with a 12 round mag in the gun and two 17 round mags weak side hip 9:00. That platform gives me 47 rounds. The last EDC which is regulated to my golf days or need for deep concealment in a pocket carry is my
Kahr CW .380. That has a six round mag in the gun and two 7 round mags in off side pocket. (My least favorite but necessary at times). 21 rounds on that platform.

· Registered
9,644 Posts
I always carry two spare mags ammo facing forward in mag carrier made by the holster maker Andrews custom leather at 8 o'clock weak side . I do practice reloading quickly but have never timed it but I could make the 2 second reload . I mostly carry a government size S&W 1911 or a Glock 21SF .

· Registered
15,084 Posts
Carry 2 spare mags weak side at 9:00. Magazine front towards the front. Practice mag changes all the time. 1-2 seconds always.

· Registered
2,158 Posts
9:00, but, sometimes left pocket.
rear
somewhere between 1 an 2, only timed it between shoot, reload, shoot drills.

Reactions: brownie

· Registered
10,717 Posts
1. Two reload mags, usually carried in the mag pouches sewn into the cargo pockets on my pants and shorts. I normally carry them in my weak side cargo pocket. Thats obviously not as fast as reloads carried in mag carriers on the belt; but it works well, is hidden, and very secure.
2. Mags are always carried bullet tip forward.
3. Yes, regularly.
4. I can reload pretty fast in matches or IDPA practices. I don’t know how long it takes, but I’ve been complimented on my reloads by the match director. Coming out of the pocket pouches would be a little slower, as one needs to raise the velcro-secured pocket flap first (which I would do prior to the gun running dry).

Depending on what gun I carry; my available ammo capacity for a loaded gun and two reloads runs from 34 (Sig SAS) to 55 (Canik Rival) with others in between running 46 and 52 rounds. And yes; I do carry the five inch, 18 round Canik concealed at 3:00, IWB.

· Administrator
33,044 Posts

1) two (2) reload mags (taught and believe "two is one and one is none"), both carried in OWB mag carrier(s) at 9:00.
2) ALWAYS with projectiles forward.
3) Yes, frequently.
4) Yes, I believe in between 1 and 2 seconds, if not more quickly, but haven't timed myself lately.
🤠

· Registered
1,906 Posts

1. where are they carried Usually in a Pitbull mag carrier just to the left of the gun/holster, inside the belt
2. projectiles forward or to the rear Forward, since day one
3. do you practice reloading/recharging the firearm Yes
4. can you make a mag change from where you carry the spare/s in 1 second; 2 seconds Yes
Joint Hand Shoulder Leg Human body

· Registered
58,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's hard to imagine those who carry semi's not carrying at least one spare mag. It's hard to understand the mentality behind no spare carried when mags are the bane of semi's to begin with.

· Administrator
33,044 Posts
It's hard to imagine those who carry semi's not carrying at least one spare mag. It's hard to understand the mentality behind no spare carried when mags are the bane of semi's to begin with.
"Two is one and one is none!" 🤠

· Registered
17,046 Posts
I carry a spare mag with bullets facing forward in my weak-side front pocket in a "mag packer" (like a pocket holster).

Time for a mag change? Honestly don't know. I'd have to test myself and get back to you. I don't think it will be 1-2 seconds, since it's in my pocket rather than a mag carrier on my belt.

But, I carry one!

· Registered
2,196 Posts

1. where are they carried. carry two, one at 730 in a belt pouch or concealed , the other on the right by my wallet.
2. projectiles forward or to the rear. Forward
3. do you practice reloading/recharging the firearm. Yes but probably not as much as I should.
4. can you make a mag change from where you carry the spare/s in 1 second; 2 seconds. Not sure never timed it.

· Registered
1,995 Posts
For the G27 I carry a spare 10 & 15 rnd mag, plus one 6 rndr for the .380, all in my Fanny bag. Should I bail with only the .380, in store dash, spares in back or cargo weak side pocket. If IWB G27, I make the call of the 10 or 15 rndr depending upon the surrounding area & .380 is in strong rear pocket a BUG. Yes I practice mag swaps with empty mags

· Registered
26 Posts

1. One spare mag in support side lower pocket of cargo-style shorts or pants.
2. I was taught that projectiles should point forward, although in pocket, orientation can become random.
3. Yes, some practice, but infrequently.
4. Don't know the exact time, but the FBI qual test has a stage that involves a reload, so I try to make the par time on that.
According to John Correia at Active Self Protection, who has watched thousands of videos of violent encounters, the chances of a private citizen needing a reload in a critical event are almost zero.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts