Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently using (and wearing) a 1.5 inch belt for my IWB holster, weapon and spare mag.

Gov't Model .45

The problem is, is that I'm using a nylon holder for my spare magazine. It serve's it's purpose but I'm looking for something better.

Thoughts and/or suggestions?

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
Try this Kydex mag holder from Comp Tac. It's $25 bucks.

·
Registered
11,197 Posts

·
Registered
5,581 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
deadeyedick - is that Desantis molded to .45 Mags ( I use Chip McCormick, single stack 8rd. ) or do the adjustment screws do it?

Red Dawg - Same question about those from: High Noon Holsters

And once again, thanks for all the advice.

·
Registered
11,197 Posts
deadeyedick - is that Desantis molded to .45 Mags ( I use Chip McCormick, single stack 8rd. ) or do the adjustment screws do it?
Yes, it's molded specifically for 1911 mags...the screws allow for tension adjustment.

Edit: When I say molded, it's not tightly fitted in the same way that a molded holster is, but it is made specifically to fit 1911 mag dimensions.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Wraith,

I went with a safariland single mag paddle type. I just mentioned High Noon because are a Florida store, their service for me has been impeccable, and I didn't have to wait a long time for my holster.

Good luck in your hunt for one.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
(Just bought all of this stuff.)

I love shopping when it's ONLY for me. Not her as well. :)

I went with the DeSantis, double mag holder. Black on Black and nothing fancy. $43

Also bought some Chip McCormick "Power Mags" for the .45 Eight-round, single stacks, with butt bumpers. $23 each for those. Got three.

Already ordered, and paid for, the Versa Max II from Milt Sparks. But won't see that thing until early January. For now, I'm using my Galco.

....now all I need is a new belt. I've ordered everything in black. And my belt is brown. LOL!

P.S. - On a side note; you people have been nothing less than fantastic. I truly appreciate all your help, and making me THINK. Greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
11,197 Posts
I went with the DeSantis, double mag holder. Black on Black and nothing fancy. $43

Also bought some Chip McCormick "Power Mags" for the .45 Eight-round, single stacks, with butt bumpers. $23 each for those. Got three.

Great minds think alike. :thumsup :D

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea, you have the bumpers I want on the Mags. CMC is sending me the ones I use, but I'll have to trade those in. $1 a piece. I can deal with that.

Hell, CMC took the order and shipped with 60 min. I'm not going to argue with that, either.

Back to the belt...............I am NOT going to spend over $50 for a belt. Thoughts?

Wal-Mart, Meijers, Levi Straus?

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
take a look at 5.11 tactical. They usually have deals going on on belts. If nothing else, check the local cop shop. You'll need something that is a little stiff and can support the weight of the gun.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
take a look at 5.11 tactical. They usually have deals going on on belts. If nothing else, check the local cop shop. You'll need something that is a little stiff and can support the weight of the gun.
We do have a local Cop-Shop "One Stop" store in town. I'll check that out first, but I like the one Swamp Rat linked, too.

We shall see.

On a side note: Got home from work today and the the CMC mags for the .45 were sitting in the mailbox. Ordered on Friday and received on Monday. Nice work, CMC! (The DeSantis shipped on Monday, so hopefully receive that this week as well.) :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
On another "side note".........

With the seven round mags, you could run 7+1. Seven in the mag, one in the pipe.

Is 8+1 acceptable for the eight round mags, or should I just stay with a full eight and feed the pipe from that?

-Wraith

·
Registered
11,197 Posts
8+1...there's no advantage in downloading your magazine by one round.

The ideal way to load a 1911 (IMO) is to load the chamber with a round from what is often referred to as a "Barney mag" (so called because the magazine contains only one round, just like Barney Fife's gun :D) and then insert a fully loaded magazine. That way you won't be cycling the rounds from the fully loaded magazine through the pistol. Do NOT load a cartridge by hand directly into the chamber and drop the slide, as this may place unnecessary stress on the extractor (so I'm told).

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Grand idea, the "Barney" mag. :thumsup

Now that I've got these CMC power mags, I won't be unloading them as often as I used to with the older ones, to try and preserve the spring tension. I'll use one of the old ones as the Barney.

-Wraith

1 - 19 of 19 Posts