Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this sight, what a wealth of info.
Anyway, I had a question on the MagSafe rounds. Are they all that is advertised? I have my first three rounds loaded with the madSafe ammo but just would like to hear ya'lls opinion. Also i would like to know your opinions on it being used in a KelTec PF9. I've heard many pros and cons.
I'm sure this has probably already been talked about so i apoligize in advance.
thanks

·
Registered
115 Posts
MagSafe rounds are very controversial as you know and for good reason. In my humble opinion if you are not worried about over penetration in your home then don't even think about this round. This round can be effective under ideal circumstances but that's the problem. In a defense situation everything is not going to be ideal. Types of clothing, a hand and such can reduce the effectiveness and dept penetration. You have to be a good shot for maximum effectiveness but with regular ammo you have a better chance.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Just carry some nice defensive hollowpoint rounds. If you are determined...or have other reasons to carry the MS rounds...even though they are very expensive...take some to the range and make ABSOLUTELY certain that your PF9 will cycle them.

Federal Hydroshoks or Winchester Rangers would be good rounds to try. When I had my Kel-Tec the Ranger ammo is what I carried in it.

·
Registered
11,170 Posts
After asking my friend Massad Ayoob (OK, he wouldn't help me get rid of a body, but we are on a first-name basis :D) about MagSafe ammo, he told me that unless you have some very specialized tactical considerations (e.g., you're a Federal Air Marshall), you should stick with good quality conventional hollowpoint ammunition.

He also said that the recoil impulse of MagSafe rounds is very different than that of conventional ammo, and some semi-auto pistols may require modification in order to reliably cycle them.

He did concede that in revolvers, they are ideal for contact-distance, "Jack Ruby" style shootings, as long as there are no obstacles (like a limb) in the bullet path. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts