Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a proud new owner of an M&P 2.0 compact (9mm) that fits my hand well and reduces my innaccuracy already with just 100 rounds through it. I picked up a cheap Uncle Mike's OWB Kydex just to start with dry-fire practice while I identify the best EDC holster I can train with before I start carrying the new gun instead of the old. But with the 2.0 I'm leery of love-handle chafe from the aggressive stippling (which I love when training & firing) (the stippling, not the chafe). Yes, I'm reducing body mass right now, making my wife happy that her nagging worked, but also looking for a good IWB holster for the 3:30/4:00 position that will combine the following:

1) stable and appropriate for fast presentation (after training)
2) minimal printing
3) comfortable, so I actually carry the thing, and
4) a one-clip solution, for easy on and off.​

I know there are many experienced Panther owners here who swear by those, and also "dress around the gun" with undershirts that would solve the chafe problem. My respect for their opinion may lead me here, but undershirts of any material I've tried make me sweat more, so I'm investigating other options.

The N82 professional (with the Kydex, not the soft shell) seems comfortable and gets rave reviews from owners, but I'm concerned about accessibility, getting my thumb down between the pad and the grip quickly. Can any owners comment on this?

Aliengear also seems promising but the only option now is a two-clip version, which I'm hoping to avoid. The Shapeshift and its IWB option is not available for the M&P9 2.0 compact yet.

Thanks for any input and I'll post what I eventually choose with my thoughts.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Panther concealment for the holster! 3000 grit emery cloth to knock down the points of the stippiling. That's what I did with my Shield 45.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I have the 2.0 Compact and feel your pain. I haven’t carried it for the same reason as you are stating. I used to run the hybrid style holsters but, one: they are too hot (makes my fat rolls sweat), two: the thumb issue while drawing. I went to Panther years ago and will never go anywhere else. In fact, their OWB holsters hug so close that I don’t even use the IWB one anymore. I will be sanding down the grip texture on mine soon. Personally, I think that’s the Compact’s only flaw. Good luck in your search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,887 Posts
I put a bicycle innertube around my grip, but some don't like that, and you'd stated you like the stipling when shooting. (I don't notice a difference as my grip is unaffected.)

Obviously try Panther but if you don't like it, go with a regular cut (not combat cut) Crossbreed. You won't beat the comfort. None of the gun will touch you. Upgrade to the horsehide and maybe consider a mag holder, too, if you're really going for comfort.

-on Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I put a bicycle innertube around my grip, but some don't like that, and you'd stated you like the stipling when shooting. (I don't notice a difference as my grip is unaffected.)

Obviously try Panther but if you don't like it, go with a regular cut (not combat cut) Crossbreed. You won't beat the comfort. None of the gun will touch you. Upgrade to the horsehide and maybe consider a mag holder, too, if you're really going for comfort.

-on Tapatalk
Thanks. I have one for my Beretta 92, and took one of Bob Harvey's courses with it. The repetitions of drawing and firing, live or dry, started chafing my thumb knuckle, making it hurt & bleed, which wasn't conducive to further training. I razor-bladed it (holster, not knuckle) to modify the cut, but there was still enough horsehide friction on the down stroke to continue the problem. I think softer fabrics wouldn't chafe as much. Maybe that should have been one of my parameters above! I think I'm rolling the dice on an N82 or new undershirts that might not sweat me as much.

·
Registered
9,887 Posts
Thanks. I have one for my Beretta 92, and took one of Bob Harvey's courses with it. The repetitions of drawing and firing, live or dry, started chafing my thumb knuckle, making it hurt & bleed, which wasn't conducive to further training. I razor-bladed it (holster, not knuckle) to modify the cut, but there was still enough horsehide friction on the down stroke to continue the problem. I think softer fabrics wouldn't chafe as much. Maybe that should have been one of my parameters above! I think I'm rolling the dice on an N82 or new undershirts that might not sweat me as much.
I thought you meant the holster chafing your side, not your hand. Try a Panther.

Anyone near him who can let him try one?

-on Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought you meant the holster chafing your side, not your hand. Try a Panther.

Anyone near him who can let him try one?

-on Tapatalk
Sorry, the OP referred to my side, yes, and the side chafe reported from 2.0 owners. I have specific training experience with the Crossbreed, though, and repetitive draw strokes did chafe my thumb.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a feeling you didn't possibly read my post of a few days back by any chance??
I found no holster meeting your requirements. Certainly not for mine.
So we change the gun.
Same issue same problems. I was just going to provide my final solution before maybe canning the 2.0 Compact.
Besides being a dyed in the wool 1911 guy. No fan of plastic guns.
But wanted some more capacity so Ive given 4 a try in the last 3 months.
1: Canik TPS9 great gun best trigger of anything except a 1911 in over 35 years of carrying a handgun. But too big. Im keeping as a house gun just the same.
2 SAR B6P Compact. Ok gun crappy trigger and safety. Under $300 whats to complain about?? Junk safe.
3: S&W M&P 2.0 9mm compact. OK but stippling painful. Might keep it probably wont.
4: Perfect plastic gun in my opinion. But expensive for plastic. FNS-9 Compact terrific gun in every category plastic or not..............Better trigger then the Canik and oodles of capacity choice. Grips don't bother me against my skin one bit.
Here is what worked finally for me with the S&W 2.0
Simple sleeve same as an inner tube but with some pattern to it.
Pachmayr Tactical sleeve. Some surgical tape too.

DSC01351.jpg

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I have a feeling you didn't possibly read my post of a few days back by any chance??
I found no holster meeting your requirements. Certainly not for mine.
So we change the gun.
Same issue same problems. I was just going to provide my final solution before maybe canning the 2.0 Compact.
Besides being a dyed in the wool 1911 guy. No fan of plastic guns.
But wanted some more capacity so Ive given 4 a try in the last 3 months.
1: Canik TPS9 great gun best trigger of anything except a 1911 in over 35 years of carrying a handgun. But too big. Im keeping as a house gun just the same.
2 SAR B6P Compact. Ok gun crappy trigger and safety. Under $300 whats to complain about?? Junk safe.
3: S&W M&P 2.0 9mm compact. OK but stippling painful. Might keep it probably wont.
4: Perfect plastic gun in my opinion. But expensive for plastic. FNS-9 Compact terrific gun in every category plastic or not..............Better trigger then the Canik and oodles of capacity choice. Grips don't bother me against my skin one bit.
Here is what worked finally for me with the S&W 2.0
Simple sleeve same as an inner tube but with some pattern to it.
Pachmayr Tactical sleeve. Some surgical tape too.

View attachment 53586
What’s the white thing on the grip under the rubber sleeve?

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
What’s the white thing on the grip under the rubber sleeve?

Surgical tape

·
Registered
824 Posts
I am a fat piggy and am trying to drop poundage without going to the butchers too!
The Alien Gear 2nd and 3rd gen combat or not won't work for me. The crossbreed Is what I use currently iwb. I sweat intensely due to the medications I'm on to keep me alive. I usually have a cotton thin tee on or Under Armor tee to protect my side. As far as drawing, my hands are basically skin over nerves over tendons and bones. The drugs make my skin fragile and I hemorrhage under the skin, like old man skin. Working on the draw and presentation of the weapon has after many hours of work given me a sort of callous and a bone spur to work with. I toned down the stippling and made a couple edges smooth. Use a "tuff skin" band aid on the rub spot till It become a callous. Other than that, you can do what the idiots told me...man up.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just a report. I bought the N82. I find it very, very comfortable in the 3:30 position, seated or standing. The holster requires a small (10 degree?) clockwise turn to remove the gun from the holster (right-handed) but this is something others said can be trained and doesn't seem to modify a "normal" drawstroke. I tend to agree, but in two mornings of dry fire practice, about 50 drawstrokes each, I'm developing the same chafe on the top left side of my thumb where it dives in between the top of the grip and the holster pad to ensure a decent hold on the gun. So I seem to be faced with modifying my thumb (with a callous) to keep the N82 or modifying my clothing (undershirt) with a Panther. It's comfortable enough that I'll work on the thumb for a bit before shelling out for the Panther and trying undershirts again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts