Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since we mentioned it in another thread I thought I would pass along a little Rifleman trivia. It was probably my favorite show growing up and it always seemed to end with Lucas as the single father telling his son Mark ( Johnny Crawford )that he loved him.

There’s always been a big debate over the number of rounds fired in the opening scene. He was carrying a Winchester 1892 in caliber 44–40. That caliber was a holdover from the black powder days where you used a 44 caliber bullet with 40 grains of black powder. After they switched to modern powders, the description stuck.

In the opening scene he fires 12 rounds from a rifle with the capacity of 10 in about 5 seconds. Lots of folks thought it was Hollywood magic and complete BS. The reality is that he was firing blanks which were shorter than the normal round therefore he actually did fire 12 blanks from a 10 round capacity carbine.

The other debate was whether or not he could actually be so quick to fire the carbine. In actuality as I understand he was. He was a high-level athlete, having played basketball and baseball at a semi professional level before he did the show. He was also 6 foot five which explains how he could spin the rifle around so easily. He was a switch hitter in baseball so he was ambidextrous which explains the ease with which he tossed the rifle from one hand to the other.

Even though I’m only 5’10” I kind of think of myself as the Rifleman and Brownie is Micah (Paul Fix) the sheriff. Caleb, of course, would be Mark, the loving son innocently looking to guidance from his single father or as he said “Pa”

·
Registered
21,080 Posts
mark was a cool kid...

Reactions: Marilyn

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Chuck Conners was great in that role. Loved “Old Yeller” too. I think I first watched “The Rifleman” when I was 10 or 11. Always looked forward to it. :)

My other favorite, around that time, was Richard Boone as Paladin.

·
Registered
55,434 Posts
I have the full series on dvd. If you tape one of the shows [ now on every day on one of my channels ] you can slow mo his opening scene. 13 levers, 13 sound bites but ya gotta count em quick, it's that fast.

Yes, he used an 1892 in 44-40. And yes, Paul Brown tried to recruit him into the Cleveland Browns at one time. They remained good friends over the decades. When my dad took myself and my brother to the first game of the then new Bengals play against Boston, we got passes to get into the locker room after the game.

Paul Brown, the past owner of the Browns and then the Bengals was a relative. Dad wrote him about my brother and I being named after his two sons. My name sake owned radio stations in Arkansas and my brothers name sake was the equipment manager for his father.

Chuck Connors was in the locker room visiting with Paul Brown when we arrived and were let in. We waited of course, but it was really exciting to see the rifleman in person.

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
I think I am correct in saying that he was at one time associated with the Brooklyn Dodgers.

Reactions: Marilyn

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
As a kid in the early 70s I watched reruns regularly. I recall my father telling me that Mr. Connors played a couple of seasons with my father’s favorite Cuban team. My dad attended a few of these games. The internet can be a wonderful thing. Below is a link to an article I just found which mentions Mr. Connors playing first base for the Almendares club.

·
Registered
55,434 Posts
I stand corrected, Shark was correct. It's 12 cycles of that 44-40; but there is 13 sound bites. IIRC, I read somewhere quite a while ago the producer added more sound shots than were cycled, for effect.

I just slow mo'd the show opener again, review it in slow mo for the levering numbers, it's 12 levers. I recounted the sound bites, 13 several times.

Just thought I'd clarify the above. Sorry about that shark

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
VanCleef.........always a MEAN M/F! :LOL:

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Of course, then VanCleef did that horrible show “the master” where he was an old gray-haired ninja. Kind of the AARP version of “kung fu”

We called it “Shriv Ninja”

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
Of course, then VanCleef did that horrible show “the master” where he was an old gray-haired ninja. Kind of the AARP version of “kung fu”

We called it “Shriv Ninja”
Seems,for me,he was always the villian you had to love!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts