Florida Concealed Carry banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

Registered
I didn鈥檛 realize yours was smaller than mine. 馃お馃槀
I do like the extra space in my pocket compared to the Benchmade Contego I carried for years though. Top one was my last EDK.
White Knife Tool Everyday carry Blade

Registered
OK... did it 10 times. Yeah... the textured / stepped button can get a bit rough on the thumb after several deployment / retraction cycles. It's that stepped texture that's really got some sharp edges. Not a problem for deploying and retracting for normal usage. But, for playing over and over? Yeah... gets uncomfortable.

So, I will agree... not nearly as easy / fun as flipping a Spyderco over and over.
It鈥檚 retracting it that gets hard for me after a few times.

Registered
Are you guys still talking about knives? :unsure:

馃お

Super Moderator
Now that I've had a little more time to play with the Troodon...

One downside is the smaller size. It's not a big knife. It's almost a bit too small in my medium-size hand.

The upside is... the smaller size. That makes it the perfect EDC size.

Another popular Microtech is the Combat Troodon, which is a beast of a knife. Of course, I like me some big knives, too. But, from what I've read, the Combat Troodon is quite the presence in your pocket should you decide to carry it.

Here is a size comparison of the Microtech OTFs.
View attachment 74098

The Scarab is a nice size, too, since I have a fake one to evaluate size. I'd probably get that size next time.
But then when a lady says to you, "Is that a Combat Troodon in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?" You'd just have to fess up and say, "Nah, it's just a Combat Troodon!" 馃ぃ馃お

• Haha
Reactions: racer88

Registered
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
"Is that a Combat Troodon in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"
Her: "Is that a Combat Troodon in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"

Me: Yes.

• Haha
Reactions: BeerHunter

Registered
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Um? It鈥檚 on the blade in the pic? Guess you went blind from rubbing your new pardner too much. 馃槵
Just looked... that photo is DARK and the print is tiny. So, I opened in a new tab and enlarged the hell out of it. Ultratechs are for girls. 馃槣 The Troodon is a man's knife.

Registered
Just looked... that photo is DARK and the print is tiny. So, I opened in a new tab and enlarged the hell out of it. Ultratechs are for girls. 馃槣 The Troodon is a man's knife.
Yet, it鈥檚 smaller鈥.? 馃槀
Pic is perfect. I can see it clearly on my phone. Stop rubbing that thing you鈥檒l go blind

Super Moderator
So you haven't met artemis, then! ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Rick McC.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Yet, it鈥檚 smaller鈥.? 馃槀
Pic is perfect. I can see it clearly on my phone. Stop rubbing they thing you鈥檒l go blind
Will it get hairy, too?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
no. But that鈥檚 probably why your palms are.
If you switch hands, it feels like someone else is doing it. Opening your knife, of course.

Registered
I was looking for an auto in D2 tool steel just under 4" so the benchmade Infidel is 3.96" hoping for common pocketknife size. I think there is a break in time, mine is a little easier to open after a year.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
I was looking for an auto in D2 tool steel just under 4" so the benchmade Infidel is 3.96" hoping for common pocketknife size. I think there is a break in time, mine is a little easier to open after a year.
My new MicroTech is 204P steel, which is some high-end steel, supposedly.

But, yeah... it's the jimping or whatever the little steps are called on the button that are pretty aggressive on the MicroTech. Or it's my tender thumbs!

Also... @7.62Kolectr - have you noticed the pocket clip is quite snug / tight? Advantage: Expensive knife not likely to fall out of your pocket. Disadvantage for those who consider their knives a defensive weapon... slower deployment from pocket.

Registered
My new MicroTech is 204P steel, which is some high-end steel, supposedly.

But, yeah... it's the jimping or whatever the little steps are called on the button that are pretty aggressive on the MicroTech. Or it's my tender thumbs!

Also... @7.62Kolectr - have you noticed the pocket clip is quite snug. Advantage: Expensive knife not likely to fall out of your pocket. Disadvantage for those who consider their knives a defensive weapon... slower deployment from pocket.
Clip is nice. But I didn鈥檛 notice it really being much better than the Benchmades? Both stay clipped into my work slacks pocket well.

Registered
I started carrying on it my left side so in an emergency I might buy some time or space to draw the 45, it is not really for self defence if I'm useing it everything has gone wrong. I hope you have a year without stupid new Kung-Flu rules Racer.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
I bought a Combat Troodon years ago, still in the box.
Any reason? Just preserving it as a collector piece? Or just don't think it's practical as a carry piece? Too big? Or simply prefer something else you have?

I'm going to carry the Troodon... or at least give it a go.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Clip is nice. But I didn鈥檛 notice it really being much better than the Benchmades? Both stay clipped into my work slacks pocket well.
I wasn't implying the clip is "better" or "worse." I'm referring to how TIGHT it is. For better or worse, so to speak.

I'm carrying it today... clipped to my dress slacks. Clipping it on is very deliberate (and difficult), because the clip is SO tight. Same goes for removing it.

I can see it eventually causing some tearing of the pocket over time (and maybe sooner rather than later) with slacks. Maybe not so much with jeans (and wouldn't care as much). I haven't tried it with jeans, yet. But, with the thicker material, I'm sure it will be even tighter.

So, yeah... tight is good in terms of securing the knife. It's not going anywhere! It won't slip out, that's for sure. But....

Reactions: 7.62Kolectr
21 - 40 of 69 Posts