Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

Registered
Nice blade. Now open and close it a dozen times and tell me how your thumb feels. 馃槀
I鈥檓 good for about 4-5. 馃槵

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice blade. Now open and close it a dozen times and tell me how your thumb feels. 馃槀
I鈥檓 good for about 4-5. 馃槵
It's pretty stiff, but I would submit a good thing for safety reasons. Like a heavy double action trigger.

Reactions: 7.62Kolectr

Registered
It's pretty stiff, but I would submit a good thing for safety reasons. Like a heavy double action trigger.
Mine has 鈥榣oosened鈥 up a bit but it certainly isn鈥檛 something I can sit around and play with like my Benchmades. Used to just sit and flip.

Registered
Congratulations鈥. That鈥檚 a fancy package opener.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Mine has 鈥榣oosened鈥 up a bit but it certainly isn鈥檛 something I can sit around and play with like my Benchmades. Used to just sit and flip.
I got a "Microtech" as a gift a while back from a well-meaning person. It's a fake, but I don't think he knew it. It broke within a few flicks of the blade. It LOOKS like a Microtech, but it ain't one. The box is one give-away...

Rectangle Font Cosmetics Metal Gun accessory

Granted, they are different models (Scarab vs Troodon), so a direct comparison is not possible. But, the fake on the left broke the same day I got it. I never told the person who gave it to me, of course. I was grateful for the gesture. I can tell you the overall feel of quality and workmanship is quite different between the two, now that I've held a real one in my hand.

Note the blade that won't retract in the fake on the bottom. It also won't deploy unless I whip the handle in my hand to use centripetal force to get the blade out of the handle.

Brown White Rectangle Font Everyday carry

Interestingly, the fake was not cheap. He forgot the receipt in the box. He paid $212 for it. A long time ago, think... as the receipt is quite faded. I can barely read the date on it... but maybe 2005. That's a lot less than the real thing, but way too much for a fake that broke on the first day.

Registered
A real microtech is a work of art and when opened can be hammered thru a 2x4 no worries. They are stout and will last. That I鈥檓 sure of. I鈥檓 just finding that I used to use my Benchmade for more things than cutting and I may switch back to it when the coolness wears off.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A quick video of some Microtech OTF action!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I only counted two cycles. Do it ten times. 馃お
Oh, I already have! It's not that bad, really. It's stiff, but entirely tolerable. I like it!

I'm thinking I'll call Microtech tomorrow and see if I can send them the fake. Though I think it's fake, it's a pretty good fake, based on what I learned on their "how to tell a fake" videos. Some of the fakes are super-obvious low-quality toys. My fake is cosmetically very close to the real deal... down to the screws and the button.

Super Moderator
  • Haha

Super Moderator
  • Haha
Reactions: joecarry

Registered
Yep... three in this video.

Is your Microtech really that hard / stiff, @7.62Kolectr ?

That's what she said!
like I said it鈥檚 not something you sit around and play with. It鈥檚 a lot harder to open than a flipper. First couple times ain鈥檛 bad at all but it progressively gets worse. I鈥檓 good for about 6-8 and then I鈥檓 using a different grip or side of my thumb to close it. At that point you鈥檙e struggling with a loaded razor which is kinda scary.
I like it. Just not sure if in a panic situation I鈥檇 be able to focus hard enough to open it though?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
like I said it鈥檚 not something you sit around and play with. It鈥檚 a lot harder to open than a flipper. First couple times ain鈥檛 bad at all but it progressively gets worse. I鈥檓 good for about 6-8 and then I鈥檓 using a different grip or side of my thumb to close it. At that point you鈥檙e struggling with a loaded razor which is kinda scary.
I like it. Just not sure if in a panic situation I鈥檇 be able to focus hard enough to open it though?
Let's see video! Mine's just not that hard to deploy. I'll try 10 in a row later and see how it feels.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
OK... did it 10 times. Yeah... the textured / stepped button can get a bit rough on the thumb after several deployment / retraction cycles. It's that stepped texture that's really got some sharp edges. Not a problem for deploying and retracting for normal usage. But, for playing over and over? Yeah... gets uncomfortable.

So, I will agree... not nearly as easy / fun as flipping a Spyderco over and over.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Now that I've had a little more time to play with the Troodon...

One downside is the smaller size. It's not a big knife. It's almost a bit too small in my medium-size hand.

The upside is... the smaller size. That makes it the perfect EDC size.

Another popular Microtech is the Combat Troodon, which is a beast of a knife. Of course, I like me some big knives, too. But, from what I've read, the Combat Troodon is quite the presence in your pocket should you decide to carry it.

Here is a size comparison of the Microtech OTFs.
Product Tool Font Line Metalworking hand tool

The Scarab is a nice size, too, since I have a fake one to evaluate size. I'd probably get that size next time.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts