Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for quality CCW training for a complete newb, especially one that is women friendly. I work with a young, conservative woman who is interested in learning about firearms and concealed carry. She would like a class that is soup to nuts firearms training for a beginner, and that supplies the firearms. Is there any in the Tampa area?

TIA!

Dan

·
Super Moderator
19,792 Posts
Check out SoutherExposureTraining. Irv sponsors some of the best instructors in the country. They're in Lakeland....just a stone's throw down the road. Randy Cain is offering his Lady's Handgun course again in November. It is excellent 'soup to nuts' as you say.

http://www.southernexposuretraining.com

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Although I haven't taken the women's class, lacking the proper anatomy, I've taken his Tactical Handgun 101, which is essentially the same course. I'd recommend his courses very highly to anyone, no matter what their skill level. Randy always starts at the very beginning and is very accommodating to beginners. As Randy says, it's all about the fundamentals. And I've heard from women who have taken the women's course that it's a great experience. The only thing is that, as far as I know, they don't provide any equipment. Everyone provides all their own gear and supplies.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Although I haven't taken the women's class, lacking the proper anatomy, I've taken his Tactical Handgun 101, which is essentially the same course. I'd recommend his courses very highly to anyone, no matter what their skill level. Randy always starts at the very beginning and is very accommodating to beginners. As Randy says, it's all about the fundamentals. And I've heard from women who have taken the women's course that it's a great experience. The only thing is that, as far as I know, they don't provide any equipment. Everyone provides all their own gear and supplies.
Ok, thanks. That's good to know.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I took a course back in the early- to mid-90's from a guy with the last name of Thrasher, who had a gun shop on Dale Mabry, right around the intersection with Bay to Bay. I'm pretty sure his gun shop moved or closed before or around 2000. Not sure if he's still selling/teaching in the area.

-JT

·
Super Moderator
19,792 Posts
My wife took the Lady's Handgun last year, and will be taking H101 in the fall. She enjoyed the training very much, and improved her skills exponentially. She had a ball, for sure.

I've taken H101. Yes, as you stated it is a basic class, but one thing I have to say about Randy Cain....The man knows how to teach! The structure and flow of his class shows that he takes the imparting of knowledge to his students vary seriously. I've been an 'instructor' in one form or another for well over 20 years. It's not something that is easy to do in an effective manner.

Randy nails it. There's a good review of his H101 class from Concealed Carry Magazine. If I can find the durn thing, I'll post a link.

:drinks to all my fellow windolickers. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've not taken the women's class, as I'm not. But, I've taken th101 twice. After the first time, I realized if I learned as much as I did: what did I miss?
So, I took it again. Sure enough, I graduated from windowlikker to sleevebiter.
Hopin to take it again soon. Randy is a master at diagnosing flaws in even the best shooters. A number of folks in both my classes were just returning from very advanced Thunder Ranch or other big name schools' classes. When I asked them why take a 101 again, they said advanced classes are just basics at speed. Better the basics, better the results at speed.
Makes sense.

Dan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My wife took the Lady's Handgun last year, and will be taking H101 in the fall. She enjoyed the training very much, and improved her skills exponentially. She had a ball, for sure.

I've taken H101. Yes, as you stated it is a basic class, but one thing I have to say about Randy Cain....The man knows how to teach! The structure and flow of his class shows that he takes the imparting of knowledge to his students vary seriously. I've been an 'instructor' in one form or another for well over 20 years. It's not something that is easy to do in an effective manner.

Randy nails it. There's a good review of his H101 class from Concealed Carry Magazine. If I can find the durn thing, I'll post a link.

:drinks to all my fellow windolickers. :D
Thanks, your recommendation is great. Look forward to reading the article/link.

·
Super Moderator
19,792 Posts
Thanks, your recommendation is great. Look forward to reading the article/link.
I searched two machines looking for the link to the article....
Well DUH (he sez to himself...) It's on Cain's Website (Rvrctyrngr hangs head in shame).

http://randycain.com/tactical101.pdf

The article pretty much mirrors my experience there...except the night shoot. I went in June...doesn't get dark till wayyyyyy late.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts