Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not specifically gun-related, but my son just purchased a new boat and I want to get him a set of binoculars suitable for marine use as a "boat-warming" gift. I'm not looking to drop big bucks on a set of Steiners, just something decent in the $150-$200 range. Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
29,474 Posts
Don't own them myself but Athlon seems to have some great optics that perform well above their price point. I can say my Athlon Optics scopes on my long range rifles bear that out. Worth a look at least. :unsure:

·
Registered
55,088 Posts
I like my Nikon bino's, great glass, not all that expensive. Also have a nikon monocular that's amazing for one handed operation. I actually prefer the monocular.

·
Registered
5,503 Posts
You will want 10x50 for decent view boating/offshore. He will need waterproof so they survive. When we fish birds for Tuna, we commonly use 10x50 for decent field of view. I use Steiners with a compass. Looking thru a monocular on a floating boat will make you seasick pretty quick. When I captained a charter boat for years, binocs were used daily.

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
I can verify shark’s comment re. getting seasick with a monocular. Only time I’ve ever been seasick in my life was when I took mine out to sea. Huge mistake. 🤮

Any one who has been seasick before can testify, once you open that door, it’s damn hard to close and get straight again.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
I can cut you a deal on Athlon Optics. I am a dealer, they are amazing. This is what I recommend.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I'll 2nd or is it 3rd the wide field of view.
With a narrow field of view it is hard to find your target and easy to lose it once found when rocking and rolling.

·
Registered
5,503 Posts
Another thing you might consider if he doesn’t have one is a PLB, personal locator beacon. It’s a smallish emergency position indicating radio beacon that could save his life. Might be a few more bucks but definitely worth it if he doesn’t have one. Then make sure he registers it.

·
Vendor
1,004 Posts
There are great options from cpmanies such as Athlon, Kowa or Hawke. Please give us a call to discuss this. As a long standing supporting vendor here on the forum it would be our pleasure to discuss this with you and help figure out which would suit your intended use the best. If you've got a few minutes give us a call, 516-217-1000
Thanks

·
Registered
5,503 Posts
It just struck me that there is another gift in your price range. ACR makes a nice electronic Killswitch that you wear on your wrist. I just ordered a couple.

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
Seasickness, it’s been said is the only Malady that can convert the fear of dying into the fear of living within a few minutes.
I wasn’t a happy camper for sure. I managed to get myself cleared up enough to get in some fishing. The sea wasn’t angry that day, but definitely a little sporty. What really got the Universe spinning was when I opted to lie down for a spell while we trolled. I decided the upper fly bridge looked comfy enough and out of everyone’s way.

Any of y’all that know boats knows just how bright that was.

I was young. And stupid. :cautious: 😬

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
As a Native Floridian growing up on the water on boats and being a life long scuba diver, I can honestly say that the only time I felt myself getting sea sick was anytime I was on the back of a diesel dive boat and I started breathing in the exhaust fumes it was spewing out. That would make me sick in a hurry. I very quickly put my regulator in my mouth and breathed off the tank. But the waves and motion never bothered me, lucky I guess.

I actually like when I get off a cruise ship because for the next few days as I’m walking on land my feet are still wanting to move on their own. It’s kind of a weird pleasure. :LOL:

Reactions: RadTek

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
I actually like when I get off a cruise ship because for the next few days as I’m walking on land my feet are still wanting to move on their own. It’s kind of a weird pleasure. :LOL:
Yep. I agree. I kind of look forward to it.
My grandfather had a center console we used to take out deep sea fishing. It was a diesel. I think he did some charters as well. I loved the smell. Still do. Looking through that monocular was the only time I ever felt bad.

My first cruise was a treat from my parents. The Mrs. and I got to the port very early. Early enough we got to board, with all the special people with priority boarding. About an hour or so before my parents would be there. We hit up the buffet. By the time we were getting underway, my stomach wasn’t feeling great. (I had over indulged a bit at the food trough) My mom forced one of her sea sickness patches on me. Worried that could be it.

Out of respect for mom‘s advice, we’ve always had some patches packed on subsequent cruises. Never used them though.

·
Registered
11,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do you guys think it's worth getting a pair with a compass/illuminated reticle feature?

Another thing you might consider if he doesn’t have one is a PLB, personal locator beacon. It’s a smallish emergency position indicating radio beacon that could save his life. Might be a few more bucks but definitely worth it if he doesn’t have one. Then make sure he registers it.
Didn't they used call those things EPIRBs? I seem to recall back in the boating days of my youth (some 40 years ago) they were ridiculously expensive.

·
Registered
55,088 Posts
Yes, a PLB is a mini EPIRB, 250 to 300 bucks these days. It can easily attach to a vest.

Compass would be nice, lighted not really helpful.
Is this something I could take on my extended motor trips. Or is this just for water craft

1 - 20 of 20 Posts