Florida Concealed Carry banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
11,048 Posts
If you want a SIX shot lightweight carry revolver, you could hardly do better than a Colt Cobra or Agent, which were basically alloy frame variants of the Detective Special. They're a little hard to come by, but I did manage to acquire a S&W Model 12, which is basically an alloy frame Model 10. I couldn't find a photo of mine, but it is identical to this one, right down to the Tyler T-Grip:

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I had never heard of a model 12. Great to know. (y)

·
Registered
54,674 Posts
I carried two J frame smiths [ 5 shooters ] on the streets in my back pockets during the heat of the summer for several years. Now that wasn't just a "I'll carry a gun", it was an informed decision that two in the back pockets was better than one on the belt when wearing just a T shirt. That choice was made knowing I walked into a lions den [ the projects nearly daily and the chances of having to retrieve and fire on someone or a few bangers was actually a reality, not just a low possibility.

After some practice, I could retrieve either from either side and fire under a second. NO tell tale sign of a gun on the waist, and infinitely easier to retrieve that sticking one down my pants with a hip grip.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I know most of us like “nice” guns, but Rock Island is making colt clones for less that $300. I shot one and was pretty impressed. I did not look inside of it.

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
I saw one of the RIA snubbies a few years ago.

I can’t say it looked like a Colt, much less was “a clone.” I don’t believe that it was light weight (had an alloy frame) either.

·
Registered
54,674 Posts
They are all steel, well made, but heavy for daily carry. I carried all steel J frames until I picked up two LW J's, never to go back to steel for carry.

·
Registered
7 Posts
my first carry was a Rossi snub .357. put mostly 38’s thru it as .357’s were uncomfortable to
say the least. inexpensive and went bang every time. lent it to my daughter and she won’t give it back....

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am in the market for a new revolver. I would like a six shot snub type that would be small and light enough for concealed carry.

suggestions please.
IMHO, it depends on your experience with firearms and what you are comfortable shooting. A .38 snubby can be brutal and if you are not experienced in handling one, you may decide that it's too much for you and not carry or practice with it. Or...not.
There are several good options in revolvers out there such as the Ruger LCR in .327/32 mag, the LCR in 22mag, or SW scandium model in .22 mag or .22 lr. I know the argument about smaller calibers but also know that in my 3 decades of being a firefighter/emt in very large city, that I've seen lots of dead guys with .22 slugs in them.

I'm not advocating carrying any certain caliber an am suggesting that you visit a trusted firearms dealer to help decide what revolver and caliber is best for your personal circumstance. BTW.....there is nothing wrong with a hammerless pistol and if you pocket carry, a hammer spur may get caught up when you draw. Worth thinking about.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I have a little Taurus 617 in .38 SP. It's 7 shots, but otherwise meets your specifications. It's light, with an aluminum frame. It was my EDC before I got my G-19.

I don't really agree with the firepower argument. I'm certainly no expert, but I would guess that most SD encounters are over pretty quickly, one way or the other. I can't remember seeing any news stories in which the GG fired more than 3 or 4 rounds.
Hoew did the Taurus hold up, did you have any malfunctions with it? I am now considering the 617.

·
Super Moderator
10,656 Posts
Hoew did the Taurus hold up, did you have any malfunctions with it? I am now considering the 617.
The only problem that I've had with it is when I was taking it to the range for long shooting sessions- say 100 rounds. The spacing between cylinder and forcing cone is close. When the gun got hot, the front of the cylinder would graze the rear of the barrel and not turn freely. It doesn't happen if I only fire a couple dozen rounds at a time. The gun survived a serious over-charge (my fault) without damage. That was impressive.

I'm not impressed with Taurus as a company. My inquiries about the spacing issue went unanswered. The gun is guaranteed forever, but a guarantee is only as good as the service that goes with it. Since I stopped using it as a busy range gun after getting my G19, I've had no problems, so I just let things be.

·
Registered
54,674 Posts
The only problem that I've had with it is when I was taking it to the range for long shooting sessions- say 100 rounds. The spacing between cylinder and forcing cone is close. When the gun got hot, the front of the cylinder would graze the rear of the barrel and not turn freely. It doesn't happen if I only fire a couple dozen rounds at a time. The gun survived a serious over-charge (my fault) without damage. That was impressive.

I'm not impressed with Taurus as a company. My inquiries about the spacing issue went unanswered. The gun is guaranteed forever, but a guarantee is only as good as the service that goes with it. Since I stopped using it as a busy range gun after getting my G19, I've had no problems, so I just let things be.
The gun was out of time slightly. Heating it up by firing it changed the tolerances enough to impeded the cylinder slightly. S+W stopped making .02-.03 cylinder gap revos, just slightly out of time would bind the cylinder. Today, smith revo's can leave the factory with up to .07 gap and they rarely get guns back due to timing issues.

You couldn't give me a Taurus revo. We got so many back when I had the shop, I stopped carrying the, special order order after the customer was warned it may one day have issues.

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
I would not consider a Taurus for self defense, seen a fair amount of failures. Smith, Ruger, older Colt or newer Kimber are preferable.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Think .327
Small as a J frame and the knock down of a .357. All in 6 rounds

For range time use .32 longs of ..32 magnum

AFS

·
Registered
54,674 Posts
Think .327
Small as a J frame and the knock down of a .357. All in 6 rounds

For range time use .32 longs of ..32 magnum

AFS
No such thing as knock down power. And the 327 fires a 100 grain bullet to get the velocities advertised. Not quite the same smack as a 125 or 158 grain 357 mag.

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
It might knock down a plate on the plate rack if you were 5 feet away but, knock down is a myth with handguns. In these days of ammunition shortage, there might be an advantage to an unusual caliber. Personally, I would stick with 38 special and the newest federal micro ammunition.

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
No such thing as knock down power. And the 327 fires a 100 grain bullet to get the velocities advertised. Not quite the same smack as a 125 or 158 grain 357 mag.
If I could shoot a "Brownie" at the bad guy... THAT would be "knock-down power."

Reactions: brownie

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
The gun was out of time slightly. Heating it up by firing it changed the tolerances enough to impeded the cylinder slightly. S+W stopped making .02-.03 cylinder gap revos, just slightly out of time would bind the cylinder. Today, smith revo's can leave the factory with up to .07 gap and they rarely get guns back due to timing issues.

You couldn't give me a Taurus revo. We got so many back when I had the shop, I stopped carrying the, special order order after the customer was warned it may one day have issues.
That’s the best free advice anyone will get!

The two Taurus guns I got in the last 15 years (one an auto, the other a revolver) both had to go back, and the CS was, to put it mildly; horrible.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts