Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a new revolver. I would like a six shot snub type that would be small and light enough for concealed carry.

suggestions please.

Reactions: Caleb

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
I am in the market for a new revolver. I would like a six shot snub type that would be small and light enough for concealed carry.

suggestions please.
Not to mock your choice in an EDC, but I thought the objective of EDC was to have as much firepower as possible. Thus, a semi-auto pistol with 15+ capactiy and extra mags. Why would you want a weapon with only 6 shots and then a required re-load that takes some time, no matter how proficient you could be with "speed loaders")? I know this because I have my uncle's Smith & Wesson Model 10 (38sp) and speed loaders for it. it's a great gun to shoot, but in a SHTF scenario? I want all the firepower I can muster and quickly. Maybe I'm missing something but what would be the advantage of a revolver as EDC over a semi-auto pistol?

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
I think your choices in revolvers would come down to either Smith & Wesson J frames or the Ruger LCR. 38 Special would probably be the caliber of choice as 357 magnum rounds will really rock your teeth when fired out of a small revolver.

My suggestion would be to try to find a nice older model 60 Smith & Wesson. It’s a five shot J frame in stainless steel. They were very popular with pilots in Vietnam and the advantage stainless steel has is significant in the Florida heat. If you’re looking at newer stuff the Smith and Wesson bodyguard 38 is hammerless double action only but has a very nice trigger and there are models that have a built-in laser.

The ones I discussed above are five shot models and are very small. For a six shot small revolver you’re getting into either the Colt or Kimber brand. I agree with the post above that more capacity would be nice but, you wanted revolver advice, you got it.

Best of luck in your search.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
What ever you get, Get one with an exposed hammer.
Unless you have very strong wrists and trigger finger, The ones that you can not cock are A PITA to shoot and hit anything.
Go see if your gun range has a rental section so you can try before you buy.
Ronnie.

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
Not to mock your choice in an EDC, but I thought the objective of EDC was to have as much firepower as possible. Thus, a semi-auto pistol with 15+ capactiy and extra mags. Why would you want a weapon with only 6 shots and then a required re-load that takes some time, no matter how proficient you could be with "speed loaders")? I know this because I have my uncle's Smith & Wesson Model 10 (38sp) and speed loaders for it. it's a great gun to shoot, but in a SHTF scenario? I want all the firepower I can muster and quickly. Maybe I'm missing something but what would be the advantage of a revolver as EDC over a semi-auto pistol?
That's one of many choices, but it may not be the choice for any one person.

Every choice involves some sort of compromise. A semi-auto with 15+ capacity is no exception. The compromise there is size and weight.... and concealability.

My primary EDCs are a FIVE-shot snubby (642 Airweight) with no reload.... or a 9+1 capacity Glock 27 (.40-cal) and a spare 9-round mag in a pocket mag carrier. Depends on how I'm dressed.

Sure... it would be "better for SHTF scenarios" if I carried my FNP-45 Tactical which has a 15+1 capacity of .45-ACP goodness. But, it's a freakin' BEAST!

·
Super Moderator
27,762 Posts
What racer said! (y) (y)

Reactions: Shark1007

·
Super Moderator
10,656 Posts
I have a little Taurus 617 in .38 SP. It's 7 shots, but otherwise meets your specifications. It's light, with an aluminum frame. It was my EDC before I got my G-19.

I don't really agree with the firepower argument. I'm certainly no expert, but I would guess that most SD encounters are over pretty quickly, one way or the other. I can't remember seeing any news stories in which the GG fired more than 3 or 4 rounds.

·
Registered
20,498 Posts
i owned a taurus titanium .357 for a while....i'm not a wheel gun guy, but the gun was light and packed a helluva punch...real easy to conceal...

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I'll say it (even though it's probably NOT true in a very few situations).
(Plus, I'm a Glock fanboy, so there's that....)

Striker-fired polymer handguns have made revolvers technically obsolete.
(Hey, how come we don't have a "duck-n-cover" icon?) :)

By comparison, it's almost to the level of where the internal combustion engine displaced the steam engine; the automobile replaced the horse and buggy, or when word processing displaced the typewriter. Or when email displaced regular snail mail. (OK, maybe not that last one.)

But seriously, more bullets, faster reload via replaceable magazines, safe (if not more safe?), less weight (usually, or at least "often enough") and just about the same overall size when comparing the .380 and larger caliber bullets. Generally speaking, of course.

Now I'm not talking about mouse-guns, Derringers, etc...
I consider all those to be niche, special-purpose, minimalist BUG, etc...

But in this day and age, I want more ammo & firepower than the typical six-shooter will provide.
Especially if that's what you think you'll be up against??? (An interesting conversation in itself, I think?)

Disclaimer: I do still own a typewriter.

·
Super Moderator
27,762 Posts

·
Registered
6,388 Posts
I'll say it (even though it's probably NOT true in a very few situations).
(Plus, I'm a Glock fanboy, so there's that....)

Striker-fired polymer handguns have made revolvers technically obsolete.
(Hey, how come we don't have a "duck-n-cover" icon?) :)

By comparison, it's almost to the level of where the internal combustion engine displaced the steam engine; the automobile replaced the horse and buggy, or when word processing displaced the typewriter. Or when email displaced regular snail mail. (OK, maybe not that last one.)

But seriously, more bullets, faster reload via replaceable magazines, safe (if not more safe?), less weight (usually, or at least "often enough") and just about the same overall size when comparing the .380 and larger caliber bullets. Generally speaking, of course.

Now I'm not talking about mouse-guns, Derringers, etc...
I consider all those to be niche, special-purpose, minimalist BUG, etc...

But in this day and age, I want more ammo & firepower than the typical six-shooter will provide.
Especially if that's what you think you'll be up against??? (An interesting conversation in itself, I think?)

Disclaimer: I do still own a typewriter.
I have to agree with most of the above. But that’s what’s so great about this community, we all like different things and carry differently. In the end tho, it’s all about being able to defend yourself or a loved one using a plastic fantastic or a wheel gun. I don’t think wheel guns are obsolete but, there are better options out there IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
The S&W J-frame is a good little gun with only 5 shot's hammerless won't catch on your jacket, mine has a good trigger but it's from 1948. I gave my Mom a mod 36 air weight it would be a good choice, I think you could find one now for 400$ if your lucky, don't get one with the built in lock they suck.

·
Registered
15,146 Posts
I have my dad's old model 36 Airweight. Great to carry to the stop n rob..but to shoot, not so much. I'll stick ro my 1911's

Reactions: bladenbullet

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I would respond but I was scolded for talking about tranny’s in the “disband the Marine Corps” thread
Let me guess....
You secretly have an IBM Selectric-II typewriter still in daily use in your study?

I should have also posted that (not news to anyone here) I'm not really "that" much into handguns.
I'm more intrigued by the challenges of long-distance shooting.
As long as I'm competent with my handgun(s), and am comfortable carrying them (and do!), that's all I really care about.
It turns out my (3) handguns are all glocks. I once had a S&W Bodyguard, but quickly sold it.

So really, I don't know what I'm talking about -- and was hopeful that "Glock fanboy" comment would have covered that.

I think what matters the MOST is that you have your firearm with you with you need it.
Whatever that platform is. I lost count how many friends and colleagues have their CCW, yet NEVER carry.
What is the point?

I guess I do still view wheel guns as technically obsolete (well, maybe not the military's Phalanx guns), but I'm totally on-board with whatever works for someone is exactly what they should have! :)

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
The only revolver I know of in current production that meets your criteria (six shot, light weight) is the Ruger LCR in .327 Federal Magnum.

The expert class revolver guy that I shoot IDPA with has one. He absolutely loves his, and can shoot the hell out of it. It is a fine shooting and carrying revolver, and won’t break the bank.

It’ll also chamber and shoot all .32 caliber revolver ammo, all the way back to the old .32 S&W. It’ll also shoot .32 Special, and .32 H&R Magnum, So it’s a pretty versatile handgun.

All LCR’S are DAO. They do have a newer model; the LCR-X. Those have an exposed hammer. Personally, I always do my revolver training DAO; as does every other revolver shooter that I train with, as well as every revolver shooter that I’ve seen shoot IDPA. The reason for that being if you need to shoot in a “real life” situation;” you won’t be taking the time to thumb cock the hammer first. If you should ever need to take a long shot with a DAO revolver; it’s easy for a practiced revolver shooter to stage the trigger to take a SA shot.

Anyone who isn’t willing to take the time to train properly with a snubbie has no business carrying one.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
The S&W J-frame is a good little gun with only 5 shot's hammerless won't catch on your jacket, mine has a good trigger but it's from 1948. I gave my Mom a mod 36 air weight it would be a good choice, I think you could find one now for 400$ if your lucky, don't get one with the built in lock they suck.
Hammerless won't catch on your jacket but neither does the gun "WITH" a hammer.
I carried a Model 37 J-Frame 38 special airweight for a lot of years and the hammer never caught on anything. (((I still have it))
I bought a Ruger 22 magnum without a hammer and the trigger was awful and was a horrible pistol to shoot. It would have been a great gun if it had a hammer to make it shoot better when cocked.
My best carry gun is my Kimber Micro (with a hammer) because it is easy to hide under a T-Shirt, It weighs almost nothing and with the grip laser on it, DEADLY.
I use a outside the waistband Pancake holster and it is so comfortable I forget I have it on.
Like I said, Find a range that rents guns and try before you buy.
Ronnie

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
All revolvers chambered in the rimfire calibers have heavy trigger pulls; regardless of brand. It’s necessary to ensure reliable function across a broad range of rimfire ammo manufacturers.

In other than the rimfire calibers; the Ruger LCR’s have one of the nicest “out of the box” trigger pulls you’ll run across.

An exposed hammer snubbie won’t catch on anything during the draw when pocket carried IF you train putting your thumb on the end of the hammer spur before you draw.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts