Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m thinking about picking up a .22 semi auto pistol for plinking. I do not do any competitive shooting so doesn’t have to be a precision gun. Just something to put a large quantity of rounds down range for cheap fun. May also be used to introduce new shooters. A larger capacity magazine is a plus, but want a traditional type pistol, not one of these new AK/AR style pistols. Looking to spend a couple hundred bucks, and fine with used.

Any suggestions for a cheap fun gun?

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
The Ruger SR22 might fit the bill. Mine has been great. As long as I don't try to feed it Winchester bulk 22LR, it does great! That's true of Win 22 for any of my semi-auto 22s. Federal bulk works great. And, of course, anything by CCI.

2500 rounds through mine, so far.

The SR22 is small and lightweight. Capacity is 10 rounds. It has interchangeable grips, if you're teaching someone with small hands. Also easy to break down and clean. Brand new, it was $329.

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
We have a Ruger Mark II. It would fit the bill if you can find one. The current model is the Mark IV. I haven’t heard if it’s the same quality.

·
Registered
20,354 Posts
i have a smith 22a...a tack driver and reasonably priced...one of the reasons i chose it was the large grip to help replicate a larger handgun...

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
I have a Heritage Rough Rider that is a fun plinker. I would not call it a super accurate gun, but it will get you on a pie plate.

Also have a Ruger Mk III that is a tack driver. The new Mk IV is just as good, but is not nearly as painful to disassemble.

Finally, I have a Walther P22Q, which is another tack driver, but the stock recoil spring and guide isn't all that good. The $25 aftermarket captive spring makes it much easier to put back together and made the gun much more reliable.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
S&W Victory 22LR.
10 round magazines

·
Super Moderator
27,082 Posts
What racer, bladenbullet, and AFJuvat said! I've also shot the M&P22 quite a bit, but think it's a bit more pricey than you're looking for. I believe most, if not all semiauto .22LR pistols mentioned so far use 10 round magazines. Like bladenbullet, I own a S&W M22A that's a tack driver, too. It also uses 10 round magazines and beakdown for cleaning is very easy. This pic is not mine but an identical example of mine. Picked it up for under $200 from a friend years ago. I also used it to teach my kids gun safety and how to shoot handguns.

m22a1.jpg

·
Registered
6,138 Posts
M&P22 here...... no issues with quality ammo. Only thing I do not like about it is the Mag disconnect but, I can live with it for a plinker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
What racer, bladenbullet, and AFJuvat said! I've also shot the M&P22 quite a bit, but think it's a bit more pricey than you're looking for. I believe most, if not all semiauto .22LR pistols mentioned so far use 10 round magazines. Like bladenbullet, I own a S&W M22A that's a tack driver, too. It also uses 10 round magazines and beakdown for cleaning is very easy. This pic is not mine but an identical example of mine. Picked it up for under $200 from a friend years ago. I also used it to teach my kids gun safety and how to shoot handguns.

View attachment 65561
I enjoyed shooting that pistol. I'd call it a "poor man's Model 41." :grin

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
I don't ever own Taurus pistols, except I did make an exception for this little .22 LR plinker I found at a gunshow in 2014. It's a 9 shot, Stainless Taurus (model 94SS4) revolver, with wood grips, made in 1994. It's in great shape. I like to use CCI snake shot with it. I think I paid about $180 for it at the gunshow.

TAURUS 22 REVO (model 94SS4)  made in 1994.jpg

TAURUS 22 REVO (model 94SS4)Stainless.jpg

·
Registered
9,887 Posts
I don't ever own Taurus pistols, except I did make an exception for this little .22 LR plinker I found at a gunshow in 2014. It's a 9 shot, Stainless Taurus (model 94SS4) revolver, with wood grips, made in 1994. It's in great shape. I like to use CCI snake shot with it. I think I paid about $180 for it at the gunshow.

View attachment 65563

View attachment 65565
I'm right there with ya! Only one Taurus, and it's a .22 revolver. The Model 94 with a 5" barrel.

I'm thinking Woodsy is looking for a semi-auto. My .22 plinker is the S&W Model 43C.

-on Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,700 Posts

Hmmm, my M&P 22 has 12 round magazines. Same size as the M&P 9, hammer not striker fired. My wife learned how to shoot with this, and reload magazines. Very reliable for us but is prolly a bit pricier than some of the others mentioned here. Very fun gun to shoot. Runs CCI and Remington Gold Bullet with no problems.

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
I'm right there with ya! Only one Taurus, and it's a .22 revolver. The Model 94 with a 5" barrel.

I'm thinking Woodsy is looking for a semi-auto. My .22 plinker is the S&W Model 43C.

-on Tapatalk

I know. But the title just mentioned plinker and my old revo holds 9. Not great for rapid fire, but it's been quite reliable and fun. Tough to beat $180 also...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Browning Buckmark. Cheap, accurate, reliable and durable. Good for thousands of hiccup free rounds.

IMG_2906.jpg

Ruger MKIV. Cheap, accurate, reliable and durable. But, be certain to purchase the MKIV. The MKI, II and III's are a genuine PITA to dis and re-assemble.

IMG_6936.jpg

GSG 1911-22. I have one with several thousand, trouble free rounds through it but, unless you really like the idea of a model 1911A1 to shoot .22 caliber I'd buy the Buckmark or Ruger MKIV because they're way more accurate (and fun).

1293126714.jpg

·
Registered
9,887 Posts
I know. But the title just mentioned plinker and my old revo holds 9. Not great for rapid fire, but it's been quite reliable and fun. Tough to beat $180 also...
That's why I use a revolver for a plinker. Eventually I should be able to rapid fire. :grin

·
Registered
33 Posts
. . . . . . . . I'd call it a "poor man's Model 41." :grin
Oh yeah! My S&W Model 41 is my favorite .22 caliber semi auto. But, I didn't recommend it because the OP mentioned "reasonable price" as a factor. :grin

IMG_2903.jpg

·
Registered
8,019 Posts
I have a Ruger SR 22 P that is the least fussy .22 pistol I’ve ever owned! It loads and fires any brand of .22LR ammo that I’ve found so far. It can also be dry fired safety; Ruger says so in the manual.

As much as I hate to say it; the newer Taurus .22 auto pistol has gotten glowing reviews.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts