Florida Concealed Carry banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

Super Moderator
I remember that, have the vid of you fending me off here:
2:45, first student using wall of edge against me
3:12, you're up ;)
Great job BH.
Brings back memories! That was the very first of several courses I took with you and I still had hair then!

Watching a smaller guy demonstrate H2H/edged weapon defensive techniques against a much larger "attacker" (teter must have 50 lb and a head taller than you) was quite eye opening! (y)(y)

It's also the weekend I met and became friends with edgehill (we'd paired up as sparring partners for the weekend), Jim K and Scott W (PantherConcealment), Live2Wheel and his brother "Turtle," and Shooter4. 馃嵒

Reactions: brownie

Registered
Brings back memories! That was the very first of several courses I took with you and I still had hair then!

Watching a smaller guy demonstrate H2H/edged weapon defensive techniques against a much larger "attacker" (teter must have 50 lb and a head taller than you) was quite eye opening! (y)(y)

It's also the weekend I met and became friends with edgehill (we'd paired up as sparring partners for the weekend), Jim K and Scott W (PantherConcealment), Live2Wheel and his brother "Turtle," and Shooter4. 馃嵒
Not to mention the 30 more trips around the sun the smaller guy had on Teter. Older, smaller, less strength, hmm, just demonstrates the skills effectiveness. :eek:

We had some great times in those courses, made some friends along the way, and learned advil is our friend LOL

Super Moderator
Absolutely! Great times those were for sure and learned some things that will stay with me till I am no more! (y) 馃

Reactions: brownie

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
One last note about tactical knives. Any knife can be a tactical knife. The tactical part is between your ears, not in your hands. Knowing your weapon and feeling comfortable with it is the most important thing.

Learning hand to hand techniques from Brownie and Avaganis have helped me move up in my non gun skills. I also routinely review James Keating's YouTube videos. There are also a number of old Fairbain fighting videos you can find, which are good reminders.

With the right mindset, anything from a simple wooden dowel to a ink pen to a kitchen knife can be tactical. As Brownie says, the mind is the limiting factor in a fight.

That said, I like certain brands because I know the quality is good and will stand up in a fight. I have found I don鈥檛 generally like stainless steel in a blade because it can be tougher to sharpen. I prefer fixed blades but a Kershaw or Sypderco folder will generally be a great knife.

If you ever meet me in person, you can guarantee that I will have at least two knives tucked away somewhere and sometimes three.

I鈥檓 not afraid to spend a lot of money on a knife that I know will stand up in a fight, including buying a custom knife from Greg Covington. Brownie has a video of a Covington that was made immediately after mine was made where he takes the knife through its paces, so I know what mine can do.

But here are the knives I always suggest to new knife people who want to carry a knife for more than slicing apples or letters.

Fixed Blades
Sypderco Street Bowie
ESEE 4 or 5
Cold Steel Recon Tanto
Cold Steel Laredo (if you鈥檙e looking to get into long blades)

Folders
Kershaw Blur
Sypderco (just about any non serrated knife of theirs)

Neck Knife
SOG Snarl
Ka-Bar TDI

Also, I鈥檝e never been disappointed with anything I鈥檝e seen by Ontario. One of my current rotation knives is the Ontario OKC Curve with a Panther sheath.

Hello, my name is Edgehill and I am a knife addict.
HI Mr Edgehill .. Yes Back In Lakeland I had ventured into knife Building / Assembling . I learned through reading , That About The "Very Best" Blades Have A 'Composition' Of Carbon For Hardness & Chromium That's Better To Stop Rusting In High Carbon Content Knives ! " 'Generally' to Achieve That 'Super Sharp' Edge , You Have to Tilt The 15 degree Edge to About 20 degrees . This To Achieve A "Micro Edge". Under a scope , & Looks like a (2) Step Bevel !
This Post was a "General" Discussion about Knives . Thank You All Very much For "Your Opinions" & Thank you For "Staying On Topic" ! Yours In Great "Comradeship" , "Gunner" :) :cool:馃憤 Knives By Me , Most sold Right at 'Knife Shows' , Many Moons' Ago ! 馃嵑馃嵒

Registered
Chromium content is what distinguishes s/s from tool steel. 13% or above chromium is considered s/s. Most tool steels have some nickel in their composition. D2, for example has nickel but not more than .30 of total. A2, same, some nickel but no more than .30.

Some of the best steel blades made by custom makers in my collection like W2, A2, O2, D2 steels have nickel in them. 1095 tools steel has .30 nickel content. 1095 has been used in USMC Kbars nearly forever. They can be sharpened on a smooth river rock or even the top of a vehicles side windows.

The 420HC steel used in many of Jantz blanks is comprised of
  • 0.45% Carbon
  • 13% Chromium
  • 0.4% Manganese
  • 0.4% Silicon
  • 0.5% Nickel
  • 0.6% Molybdenum
  • 0.3% Vanadium
Thus, less carbon than normal tool steels which have .75-1.% and more nickel by .20%. With it's 13% chromium, it's no longer tool steel but considered s/s.

Anytime you're sharpening a blade, you'll create and recreate a burr. It's learning how to remove the burr that most people go afoul when sharpening a blade. Though there are some steels that are harder to get a good edge on than others, I've never met a steel I couldn't get scary sharp. Scary sharp is a level above what most would consider very sharp. Many of the students would utilize my sharpening skills when in the defensive edged weapons courses during breaks, most won't take me 5 minutes with just 3 tools [ primary grind tool, diamond and then course or fine ceramic stick ].

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
One Time , In Lakeland Fl , I Had A 'mixed' Collection Around ( 70 ) . Prior to These I Had 'Presented' To Me My Uncles 'USMC' Kabar Knife. I Read About An Older 'Rutledge' Knife Might Be Worth Looking Into . Also Some Other 'Offers' By 'Spyderco' . It Would Be Helpful To Hear Any Pertinent Ideas By Members .
P.S. - I Also Have My RVN "Custom Commemorative"
Knife I Built W/Sheath . The Elk Handle Has A Small Pow/Mia metal 'Inserted'/ Epoxied In The Top Of It . The Blade is a 'Buck' Fixed 6 1/2" Very Sharp Blade .
Thanks "Gunner"(y)
*Update on Post # 26 I Just Left "JANTZ CUTLERY" Site . The "Aforementioned" # 420 HC Is a 'Kitchen' 4" Paring Knife .. It is Not Typical Of Their Outdoor Knives At All .. *KABAR Knives Use to use A '1095' Steel -Now * The 'New Improved' Modern Ones Use # 1095 'CRO-VAN' Steel . The Following Knife Steel Blanks" Are Even Better Than The KaBar #1095 'Cro-Van' Knives . "Tactical Fighter Blade" # J9268 With 'CPM 3-V' Steel $119.95
"Tactical Combat Fighter" # J9368 With 'CPM 3-V Steel $149.95
"Tactical Field" # J9168 $99.95 ..
P.S. - I'll Be Ordering One Of Them Very Soon ! .. Thank You ..." Gunner " :)馃憤馃嵒馃嵒

"

Registered
For fixed blades I would look at:

Toor knives
Compliance edge
Reys bro blades
Miller bros blades

Folders I would look at:
Microtech autos
Emerson knives
Protech autos
Spyderco knives

Hope this helps.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #29
For fixed blades I would look at:

Toor knives
Compliance edge
Reys bro blades
Miller bros blades

Folders I would look at:
Microtech autos
Emerson knives
Protech autos
Spyderco knives

Hope this helps.
Everything helps Mr. Booshwaa1 .. I wanted All opinions from everyone .. Right now , I'm leaning towards a Spyderco 'possibly' . Thanks For Your Input ! (y)

Registered
Here are two very reasonably priced Spyderco's a 3 1/4 and it's bigger brother4 1/8 two of same model , I don't remember the model paid 30$ 40$ years ago.

Registered
Reactions: 196THL.I.B.GUNNER
21 - 31 of 31 Posts