Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If any member has some of these laying around , please reply . I have now decided to take my H/R Hunter model in 10" Octagonal [ 9 ] shot D/A handgun out of mothballs .

The vintage is from the '30s , even before the letter prefix was implemented in 1940's .

It is designated .22 LR , and i had test fired this prior a ways back . Due to it's light weight & kind of thin barrel [ IMO ] It went off like a cannon and mini flame thrower ..

So now playing a bit safer to me at least , i have opted for the above change of cartridge .

Thank you in advance for at least reading this post . These are very hard to Find :unsure: ' Gunner '

·
Registered
7,596 Posts
Never have shot a short, never had a firearm that would shoot it…… I’ve heard they are fun tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
22 Shorts will foul the cylinder, and possibly permanently damage it.

22 LR SHOULD be safe as long as you stick to the generic 40 grain, run of the mill 22 LR.

Subsonic 22 LR rounds would be fine too.

CCI stingers, Yellowjackets, and any other hyper velocity 22 would be unsafe in a gun of that vintage.

I do have some Kolibri rounds (primer, no powder) if you want to give those a try. That said, with a 9" barrel, I would be cautious that a kolibri bullet cleared the barrel.

Reactions: 196THL.I.B.GUNNER

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
22 Shorts will foul the cylinder, and possibly permanently damage it.

22 LR SHOULD be safe as long as you stick to the generic 40 grain, run of the mill 22 LR.

Subsonic 22 LR rounds would be fine too.

CCI stingers, Yellowjackets, and any other hyper velocity 22 would be unsafe in a gun of that vintage.

I do have some Kolibri rounds (primer, no powder) if you want to give those a try. That said, with a 9" barrel, I would be cautious that a kolibri bullet cleared the barrel.
Ok then , thanks for the info & will pass on the Kolibri rounds then - Thanks ;)
I do have the 40 grain lead heads in stock .. may try them again . possibly the sub sonic 22 LR's if i can find them -- Appreciate it my friend (y)

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pretty sure I have some that you can have . If I get time I’ll check around tonight. I’m just moving from one the gun room to another and it’s a mess.
Thanks Roger , I'll try my lead head 40 grainers , but do appreciate it ! ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
If any member has some of these laying around , please reply . I have now decided to take my H/R Hunter model in 10" Octagonal [ 9 ] shot D/A handgun out of mothballs .

The vintage is from the '30s , even before the letter prefix was implemented in 1940's .

It is designated .22 LR , and i had test fired this prior a ways back . Due to it's light weight & kind of thin barrel [ IMO ] It went off like a cannon and mini flame thrower ..

So now playing a bit safer to me at least , i have opted for the above change of cartridge .

Thank you in advance for at least reading this post . These are very hard to Find :unsure: ' Gunner '
On Sunday, 10/3, there was a large amount of 22short at Bass Pro Shop in Tampa. I didn't check the prices as I don't have a weapon to fire them from. That said, might be worth a call - there was quite a bit. (No powder or primers, no popular calibers in the price range of a common man BUT they did have some 50BMG that I have no use for.)

- P51

·
Registered
8,999 Posts
Gunner:
I was at your local Rural King this PM, and they had a LOT of both .22 short and .22 LR in stock.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts