Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a walther p22 for my wife. it will be her first gun and she intends to get her cwp. Any advice would be great as I am picking it up on Wenesday.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Is this intended to be her EDC?

Yes, a .22LR gun is better than no gun, but that's a fairly puny round for self-defense.

Has she looked at any other guns in maybe a slightly larger caliber, like .380ACP?

-JT

·
Registered
580 Posts
Wow

I was not looking to buy a walther p22, and after reading that blog, i would have to say that i never will be looking for a p22!!!!

I take that back, I will be looking for a p22, looking for someone shooting one next to me at the range, and if they are shooting one, i am going to move down a couple of lanes:rolf

·
Registered
65 Posts
Never heared of that happening before and I have known more than a few people with the gun. My wife loves hers and has had it for years. For every model of gun out there you can find some freak failure.
Considering how many thousands of p22s are out there a couple of freak failures does not make me dismiss the whole model.

·
Banned
11,161 Posts
If you are going to buy your wife a .22 cal pistol for the purpose of learning to shoot, then the Walther is alright, though there are at least five that are as good or better for less money. If you are buying it for a defense gun, think again. A .22 is not a close range defensive handgun. A .380 is probably the smallest you should go and 9mm, .40cal or .45 cal is even better. My wife has no problem handling any of those rounds, but carries a S&W 908 9mm because she has small hands. She is very accurate with that.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you want a gun for both learning and maybe carry I recomend looking at the Bersa Thunder. It is 380 and light enough to not learn bad habits. It has a smalle enough grip for medium and small hands. Plus it carries well. Generally all new shooters should start on .22 though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks

Thanks everybody. I talked to my local gun guy said he has sold hundreads of them without any problems.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
For the gun, I've got no opinions on it either way. Just presenting info I ran across.

For the round, .22LR is poop for self-defense.

-JT

·
Registered
443 Posts
If you're looking for a gun for her to learn on then I suggest a Ruger MK 11 or MK111. You can find one reasonable at gun shops or even pawn shops. Plus it's good economical practice for you.

If she's eventually going to carry it. Don't. 22s are not a self defense round.
Look for a used K frame S&W revolver. Like a model 19 or 66. These fit into purses quite nicely and most women I know shoot them well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts