Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was off the forum for 3 days last week because my Dell laptop died suddenly it only lasted 3 years is this normal? I would like you folks to give some feed back on what laptops lasted you the best, I have had bad luck with HP products and they were the only laptops in stock at best buy. I thought this would be helpful for the next time around for everyone .

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
I've had Lenovos last ~7 years, or so. Dells, too. But, I don't usually buy off-the-shelf at the big box stores. I custom configure them and order direct. Don't know if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
That said... I'm currently using a "cheapie" off the shelf Best Buy Dell that I got to hold me over for a while.

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ordered from amazon, I just went there to see if they had a good one in stock every where I checked had almost nothing. I wanted something made in the US but none are Dell is made in china so are every one I checked.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
I bought a refirbushed HP older model about 5 years ago from Walmart. Still have it and it works just fine for the very occasional use it gets. With that being said, I use an iPad 99.9% of the time for everything. I think it’s gotten to the point there is really very little the iPad won’t do that I need a laptop to do for personal use. I can go 3-4 months without firing up the laptop. I have an HP I use at work and it has been flawless. Daily boot up and shut downs with no hardware issues.

I will say that for work purposes I could not use an iPad alone. I do use my iPad a lot as most systems I need to use for work is now cloud based. The laptop is great in that I use dual monitors. One mostly for Outlook emails and calendar and then other I work off of. It is great if doing work in Excel and having the dual monitors to look at when building spreadsheets.

All depends on what you need it for.

With that being said, I will absolutely buy a Mac when the HP craps out. I do believe Apple makes a better product and everyone I know that has one always has good things to say and are never remorseful after going with Apple.

YMMV.

Good luck.

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
I’ve been using iPads for over 10 years now. The last one was a hand me down iPad Air from the wife when she got one with more memory, and I used it for a good five years with no problems.

She started to have battery problems with her last one, and decided that I should get a new one too.

She got an iPad Pro, and I got a Pro 12.4. It's definitely easier for me to read, and read longer without any eye strain, with the bigger screen.

My old one is used by the grand kids when they come over.

Once you go Mac; you’ll never go back! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
939 Posts
I have had an iPhone sine iPhone 3, then about 6 or 7 years ago I bought an iPad. I had been using windows laptops since way back. I had a Lenovo that was pretty good, paid $700 for it and it lasted about 4 years then crapped out. I bought a brand new Dell and paid $600 and it was a piece of crap from the beginning. Took it back to Bestbuy and they wouldn't give me my money back so I replaced it with another one just like it and it was the same piece of crap that the first one was. I took that one back and got my money back that time. I bought a used MacBook Pro mid 2012 and it just worked. It was an awesome laptop. Plus the fact that everything syncs between apple devices. It took a while to get used to it not being a windows machine, but once I did I will never go back. I used the MacBook Pro up until a couple months ago. I bought a 2020 MacBook Air because the MacBook Pro won't be able to run the new operating system coming out soon. I sold the MacBook Pro for $250 on Facebook marketplace so I got back over half of what I paid for it.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I will just add....

1) If you can get by with just a tablet (i.e., most everything you do is hosted in the cloud), then get a tablet, not a PC.

2) If you're going to get a PC (whether PC, IOS, or Linux), you'll tend to get a better value with the mid-grade offerings. For example, in PC-world, you're (usually) better off getting an i3 or an i5 based processor rather than a fast, bells-&-whistles i7. The higher grade i7's need more power, and that means more heat, which a laptop physical format has a much harder time of dissipating -- thus, reduced life. Put the money spent towards build quality, not "maximum" speed, or number of cores, that (on balance, for many if not most applications), you'll never need or notice anyhow.

That's not to say you can't find a quality i7 out there with great performance specs. They exist.
But they tend to cost a lot more, and you you really should ask whether or not you need all that performance in a small form-factor PC in the first place.

Me? I've had i3's and i5's that have lasted upwards of 10 years, with fairly heavy use.
One was an HP (ack!, not fond of them for other reasons), and the other was a Dell.

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
I’ve been using iPads for over 10 years now. The last one was a hand me down iPad Air from the wife when she got one with more memory, and I used it for a good five years with no problems.

She started to have battery problems with her last one, and decided that I should get a new one too.

She got an iPad Pro, and I got a Pro 12.4. It's definitely easier for me to read, and read longer without any eye strain, with the bigger screen.

My old one is used by the grand kids when they come over.

Once you go Mac; you’ll never go back! :ROFLMAO:
FWIW, I agree. I’ve got a laptop, a HP and my mom’s old Dell desktop. They both work. Or at least they did last time I turned them on. But I use my 6 year old iPad exclusively. I’ve been through many windows based laptops and desktops over the years. They all crap out within a couple years. For me, iOS just works. When I have to replace my laptop and/or desktop, a Mac it is.

I used to never get a cellphone to make it a year. Made the switch to iPhone about 12 years ago and never looked back. First one went 4 years, the next 6, this one is going on 2. FWIW They just work.

·
Registered
15,146 Posts
I ordered from amazon, I just went there to see if they had a good one in stock every where I checked had almost nothing. I wanted something made in the US but none are Dell is made in china so are every one I checked.
Check with Hunter Biden..his is gonna be around awhile..

Reactions: BeerHunter

·
Super Moderator
27,762 Posts

·
Registered
13,061 Posts
Did away with our PCs last year (or 2 years ago, miss them NOT so can’t remember when). We also have had iPads since ipad2 came out. This year, we upgraded to Pros, both 12” versions and are permanently free of Windows’ constant security risks and tedious updates. Apple sphere for me, politics notwithstanding.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
We buy Dell business class laptops, my wife gets a new one every 4-5 years, I get her old one. Even the 10 year old ones I’m done with run fine, just slow.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Started switching to macs and iPads 12+ years ago. Still have a leverno that was win 7 and ended up upgrading to win 10. Never could get the the win 10 to do what I wanted, mental block on my part. Was amazed to see how Apple products interrelated. Have not looked back. MacBook Pro (old) and macbook air, Mac mini 2012, and two iPads , two iPhone 5s. They all work great. Not sure about the next system update though. Great phone support from Apple even with old equipment.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
As an engineer, this is a good time for me to state the obvious:
"Computer repair is the janitorial work of real engineering!" :poop:

My I.T. friends never find that funny.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts