Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you guys and gals have seen this story?

Local10.com
Related To Story

Video: Definition Of 'Competence' Heart Of Controversy Over Gun Law

Definition Of 'Competence' Heart Of Controversy Over Gun Law

POSTED: 4:20 pm EST November 13, 2008
UPDATED: 7:52 am EST November 14, 2008

MIAMI -- One word is at the heart of a major controversy concerning Florida's concealed weapons law: competence.

The word "competence" is stated in the law, but if you ask people what competence with a firearm means, the answers vary, Local 10's Sasha Andrade reported.

"It's very simple. I think once you know where the trigger is and the safety is, I think those are the two key components," said Rep. Juan Zapata.

"If you're going to have a deadly weapon, you ought to know how to use it," state Sen. Dan Gelber said.

"It takes conditioning in order to mentally prepare yourself to do what ultimately may have to be done in order to survive," a SWAT team firearms instructor said.

The law does not require a person to actually handle gun in order to get a license to carry it in public. Local 10 asked lawmakers on both sides of the issue if the law is too vague.

"The law does require a level of competency, but that ought to mean something. There ought to be some standard everyone can agree on," Gelber said.

Zapata, on the other hand, pointed to the U.S. Constitution. He feels "competence" should not be determined by the state and that it is up to the individual to decide how much training he or she needs.

"Obviously, it's for self-defense, and I think folks need to exercise some personal responsibility," Zapata said.

Police officers from various departments worry that people who don't know what they're doing are going to make deadly mistakes, Andrade reported.

"As soon as you pull a gun out, you're escalating the entire situation. You'd better know what you're doing," said Tom Carney of the North Miami Beach Police Department.

Carney recommended taking a longer, more intense training course if you're going to get a license to carry a gun.

Previous Stories:
November 13, 2008: Gun Standards For Citizens Must Improve, Police Say
November 12, 2008: Local 10 Investigates Gun Law Loophole

Here's the link

http://www.local10.com/crimealert/17974593/detail.html

·
Registered
94 Posts
Your standard MSM report. We've had "shall issue" in Florida since 1987 and this question suddenly rears its head? A TV station decides to create a problem and "opens an investigation" calling on local police to tell everyone how bad things are; except of course none of the bad things have happened.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My thoughts as well. Create an issue where there isn't one and watch what happens. That's the media for you.

·
Registered
11,170 Posts
If they're really worried about "competence", perhaps they should take a look at the shooting skill level of your average LEO. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
22 Posts
If they're really worried about "competence", perhaps they should take a look at the shooting skill level of your average LEO.
I've witnessed at least one instance where this was an issue.

At our local outdoor range appears a young LEO, who very neatly places his slide-locked-back Glock on the bench, along with 4 full magazines.

This young man was the handsome, square jawed and well built type, who drew stares and admiration from the slack belly types (like me) that were nearby. You know the kind. He simply looked like he was a force to be reckoned with.

The line goes hot, and after a few minutes of shooting, my bride asks me to take a look at his target.

I expected to see a small hole where this young fellow had sent a bazillion rounds through, single file......but that was not the case.

Holes were everywhere on that target, except in the black, and as I watched him continue to fire, I could see rounds hitting the dirt below the target frame.

I hope he doesn't represent "the average" LEO, but for certain, this one needed training. I was sorry to see him at the range alone...there needed to be a firearms instructor at his elbow.

·
653 Posts
I wish I could afford some training. I would like to feel more competent when carrying if that is ever achived. I pratice with my targets in my backyard a lot. I practice shooting while moving sideways and forwards as well as standing still. I also practice single handed and with weak hand. But other tactical, self defense training would be great. For now I guess I have to keep reading and practicing.

·
Super Moderator
5,538 Posts
Why is it always our competence in question? Why dont they figure out ways to curb these home invasions taking place.

·
Super Moderator
10,783 Posts
I guess they figure the home invaders are competent at their trade, so they need to concentrate on us. :laughing

1 - 8 of 8 Posts