Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started using this app so my wife could see and show the kids where I was that day. Now this does not include my training time and I think I started using it around October or November. I've thought about creating a group for friends who have been watching my travels on Facebook. If you are interested let me know if not eh it is still cool to share. Been a tough 9 months solo on the road. But I am still enjoying it very much. This trip will end on the 15th, which will make about 6 weeks out maybe a little longer. I am beat thanks to the hoarding but made some good money at times.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rick McC.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
That's a cool app for the family.

·
Registered
6,265 Posts
So, just to clarify, you're still trucking, but for a different company now? Not the first one?

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, still trucking. I won't give it up anytime soon.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Are CB radios still used regularly by truckers?

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are CB radios still used regularly by truckers?
Some, I use one. Have a galaxy 959 and a cobra 29 classic. The galaxy was just shipped to the house, had it peaked and tuned. So when I get home next week I will get that one put in and the conra will ride with me as a spare. Not running a dual antenna system just yet as I should be in a 20 or 21 freightliner in the next couple of weeks. Really want a kw but not holding my breath

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Added a few new dots to the map, so far I have hit 40 states since I started. I really don't care to go back west of the rockies. Only reason I did is to get a newer truck with less miles. My old one was starting to lose power.

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
Curious why you don’t enjoy going west. I loved west runs (minus Los Angeles). Wide open highways. Granted, it was 30 years ago. Traffic was different then. But, you could set the cruise, pop in a good CD and just drive.

For me, it was the northeast I loathed. Couldn’t pay me enough to drive a semi into the New York City area again. Something bad happened to me every time.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Curious why you don’t enjoy going west. I loved west runs (minus Los Angeles). Wide open highways. Granted, it was 30 years ago. Traffic was different then. But, you could set the cruise, pop in a good CD and just drive.

For me, it was the northeast I loathed. Couldn’t pay me enough to drive a semi into the New York City area again. Something bad happened to me every time.
West of the Rockies guarantee to go to LA. And i get paid better east of the Mississippi

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Had to take a shot of my truck. I had to go to Idaho to pick it up. And why not with a new trailer as well

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
Missed your response a few days back.

That makes sense. I preferred long hauls. Usually reserved for teams. But, I got in good with my dispatcher and he got me big mile runs from east to west and back.

Yea, LA was a pretty common endpoint. And the city blows. But, I’d take LA over the big Apple any day and that’s where most east coast freight went back then. I’m not kidding when I say something bad happened every trip to NY. This was of course well before GPS. So, it was a motor carrier road atlas and picking up the phone (at a truckstop, no cellphone) to get directions to the receiver. Problem with New York is no one could give directions for ****! Once had to back down 200+ yards on a narrow, one way curved street (Drivers blind side in reverse) with cars parked on both sides because the receiver’s direction took me to a low bridge that wasn’t marked on the atlas. That’ll put hair on your knuckles.

Ran for a now long defunct carrier for some time then went with an owner operator hauling flatbed heavy, oversized. Thankfully That kept me out of the city after that. If going to the Appl, drop in Jersey and run. Local boys who know the city would finish last mile.

Swift does run some nice rigs there. Very cool ride! There’s something about a new trailer that makes you grin isn’t there? (y)

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
I was born and raised in NYC and when I go back and drive there,I miss exits/turns that i used to know well.Driving in Manhattan is a SOB even in a car.I think a lot of big rigs wait for early AM in Jersey,then come in when streets are empty.

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
I think a lot of big rigs wait for early AM in Jersey,then come in when streets are empty.
Thats almost the only way IMHO.

The city is a freaking nightmare in a big rig. Low clearances, narrow streets, street parking, toll roads/bridges, no loading zones, no trucks, one way,....pot holes that’ll shuffle your freight nicely......and no one knows how to get anywhere. I can’t tell you how often I called a shipper or receiver to get directions and heard “I don’t know“. ok, you don’t know how to get to work......that’s odd. does someone else there know. “No, we all take the bus or subway to work”. insert banging head emoticon here! Dammit!

Then, once you finally get there, gotta make a pretzel out of your trailer to get backed up to their goofy loading dock because the warehouse was built back when trucks were Ford model T hybrids. Never built with 70 ft of tractor trailer in mind 🤯

If I never have to go up there again, even in a car, that’s too soon. :LOL:

Ive got a friend there who’s been begging me to visit for years. I keep telling her no. Ain’t gonna happen.

Shes got a place in the Hamptons I’ll visit. But, haven’t gotten that invite yet. 😒😉

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I have seen a few posts about truckers taking fire. I don't know if it has anything to do with the civil violence, stay safe.

Veteran trucker ‘blasted with bullets’ on I-70 in Ohio

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
Thats almost the only way IMHO.

The city is a freaking nightmare in a big rig. Low clearances, narrow streets, street parking, toll roads/bridges, no loading zones, no trucks, one way,....pot holes that’ll shuffle your freight nicely......and no one knows how to get anywhere. I can’t tell you how often I called a shipper or receiver to get directions and heard “I don’t know“. ok, you don’t know how to get to work......that’s odd. does someone else there know. “No, we all take the bus or subway to work”. insert banging head emoticon here! Dammit!

Then, once you finally get there, gotta make a pretzel out of your trailer to get backed up to their goofy loading dock because the warehouse was built back when trucks were Ford model T hybrids. Never built with 70 ft of tractor trailer in mind 🤯

If I never have to go up there again, even in a car, that’s too soon. :LOL:

Ive got a friend there who’s been begging me to visit for years. I keep telling her no. Ain’t gonna happen.

Shes got a place in the Hamptons I’ll visit. But, haven’t gotten that invite yet. 😒😉
All right on. We often stay at a friend's in Manhattan. Anything in NYC we take the subway.
We drive in Manhattan ONLY to leave Manhattan.
If she doesn't invite you to the Hamptons,you know where you stand!!:cry:

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
If she doesn't invite you to the Hamptons,you know where you stand!!:cry:
Im not exactly a “Hamptons” guy. I don’t belong to that club. I wouldn’t fit in. I’m more of a Daytona Beach summer home rental....dinner at Applebee’s kind of guy. She married into the high society dinner at Michelin star restaurants life.

I don’t even own a dinner jacket. At least in NY we could keep it delis and food carts. :LOL:

·
Super Moderator
26,364 Posts
I have seen a few posts about truckers taking fire. I don't know if it has anything to do with the civil violence, stay safe.

Veteran trucker ‘blasted with bullets’ on I-70 in Ohio
Yikes! :mad:

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
I’m seeing a lot of chatter online from the trucking community saying they will not deliver anything to communities that defund police.

I hope it’s not just hollow threats. The trucking world can be a tight bunch when cornered.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I dont deliver to California, and that was before all of this. I'm not turning down loads but will counter them with a daytime delivery. I've got bills to pay.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts