Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something interesting happened at work this morning. When I arrived at work this morning I noticed two officers from Boca Raton PD were in the hallway of the building. They seemed to be just hanging out or not in emergency mode. I joked with them a bit. Soon after when all my co-workers were in the briefing room the Leo's came in. They came to brief us about crime in Boca Raton and how we could help.

I work for a large company and we have many trucks on the road and the Leo's thought it would be a good idea for us to help be the eyes and ears for the Boca PD. Here are some of the facts that they stated to us. They said they had about 18 officers to cover 80,000 citizens in Boca (wow). Of all crimes committed, about 85% were home break-ins. Because we know the neighborhoods we could be helpfull in reporting anyone who seemed to be casing these neighborhoods.

They also mentioned to us how we could also secure our own homes from burglary. As has been posted here before, 911 calls are dispatched on a priorty basis. The entire session was informative and well received. The two things mentioned in the briefing that got me thinking was a) how few Leo's there were. So people better take more responsibility for their own security. b) Home invasion and berglary is definately on the rise so if you dont already do, you should carry at home all the time (I do)

·
Administrator
806 Posts
If the community as a whole take responsibility for their own safety and security I believe the criminals would have a hard time doing their dirty deeds. If you report, arrest or kill enough of these bg's they will eventually have to go back to their own neighborhood where no one will snitch on them. You have to realize that most of these people can not
be rehabilitated.
Talk to your neighbors and you would be suprised how much you might be able to create a safe neighborhood.

·
Registered
115 Posts
There used to be a time in my way distant past that I would be reluctant to profile people. However its very difficult to not do some kind of profiling when accessing situations. Reporting suspicious activities to the police should be something we all do. I know it might seem like a pain but its maybe one of the only thing you can do to keep your neighborhood relatively safe. I've worked too damn hard for my house just to loose it to dirtbags.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I say it's good of the cops to ask for your assistance. The shooting of the officer by that teenage burglar recently shows that if it was not for an alert citizen those bullets could have been aimed at a home owner. I hope the officer recovers soon.

·
Registered
29 Posts
That was an excellant idea for the PD to ask for help from people who are out and about on a regular basis. I hope more PD's decide to try this. The more eyes and ears out there, the better.
We have a neighborhood watch in our community and are always looking for more members.

Safe and sane shooting everyone,

johnstuf

1 - 5 of 5 Posts