Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 5 of 54 Posts

· Registered
255 Posts
My perspective on this is different.

First, I do not believe there is 1 'true way'. It's knowing the skills and blending them as necessary.

Second, few instructors teach SD. It one of the things that surprised me about the three instructors I have taken courses from here and it's why I go back for more. It's why I'm willing to go to learn knife skills from a mongoose fast individual in Arizona .)

Third, mental preparedness isn't a concept that is broached, and it's critical to survival.

I was at a New Years Eve party last year. Someone comes to me saying there is trouble. I get up and check to make sure my handgun isn't binding in the holster. It served 2 purposes, one of which was flipping the switch on. I was able to deescalate verbally because I'm a peace loving man, and de-escalation isn't my thing.

What I do is always evaluate how the skill I'm being taught can be applied to SD. It means I think too much, but because most instructors suck, it's my way. If I find it useful, I'll sign up for another, for practice. If not, then I got to shoot my firearm, and that is always a joy.

Being able to drill neat holes slowly, accurately in a target is a necessary first step. But it's just that, the first step.

· Registered
255 Posts
Why? What purpose do slow neat holes serve when teaching self-defense handgun shooting?
Boss, everything has to start somewhere. Trigger control, locking the wrist with semi auto fire, safe gun handling, ...

You should have those in place or go to a class that teaches it to you before you jump to a threat focus class.

Mind you, the RO's in the classes here are superb.

Feel free to disagree, but no one is born knowing how to shoot a firearm accurately and safely in a hot/cold range scenario.

· Registered
255 Posts
Those skills can be just as easily imparted in a threat-focused class as in something FSP-oriented. Again, what do neat holes have to do with that? Not disagreeing, but simply trying to understand the rationale of your assertions.
'Threat focused' SD isn't a matter of using sights or not. For what ever reason, that is where you want to go.

Threat focused is about identify the threat and ending that threat before the threat ends you.

Use of sights, front sight focused, no sights at all are means to an end.

Look at what brownie is saying. He took a class of 'operatives' and taught them how to do their job better.

Guess what those folks knew how to do before they got to the class? Shoot accurately. Shoot safely. They had spent years in training, and all of that started with drilling holes in a piece of paper, slowly.

· Registered
255 Posts
We evaluated the students first thing in the morning with a sighted fire no time limit drill to establish those who may be less than up to speed on safely handling a firearm [ I didn't on my own COF but Rick made the suggestion and when he co-trained with me, we'd use that drill ].

I couldn't care less if they have command of the basics, it was about command of their safe gun handling around others [ first time for many on a line of shooters all firing at the same time ]. The drill Rick recommended did bring to light those who the RSO's should concentrate on more than others.
In no way am I trying to insult you, how you teach, and certainly not what you teach.

I'm on target, shooting faster with no loss of accuracy. Trust me, I tried proving you wrong .)

My point is a heck of a lot more generic than any of that.

1 - 5 of 54 Posts