Florida Concealed Carry banner
41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Good morning all!

Here is my AAR, it’ll be quick and short because others have expressed the same feelings and thoughts that I feel about the class.

First, the fact that everyone there got along as we were old friends was amazing. I mean, we “know” each other from this forum but some of us have never met in person. Still, we treated each other as old friends. The chats, stories, laughs (lots of laughs) and ribbing were great. I am honored to have shot next to badasses and taught by Legends. Breaking bread with everyone as also an amazing part of this weekend.

At the end of the second day of class, Brownie asked each one of us “what was your favorite skill you learned?”. My answer was Quick Kill and I would like to change my answer. You see, every skill that was taught surprised me on how accurate you can be with teachers like Brownie and Rick. After sleeping and gathering my thoughts about this weekend this morning, I know what skill was my favorite. One that never even popped into my thoughts. “Tactical Thinking”. Example: 3 bad guys, one close, one far and one in between. You put two shots into the close perp and then you take cover using said perp to shoot the other two. That was just one example of how to think in a street fire fight. Great teachers make great students.

It sucks I was only able to train with Brownie once, but I’m grateful I had the opportunity to do so. I am also gratefull to have been able to train under Rick not only this weekend but two or three other times before this. I am ten times more confident out in the crazy world because of you two gentlemen. Thank you both.

I would also like to thank Steve, Greg, Rick McC and Kim for keeping us safe (RSOs) and on track. Thank you Roger for lunch on Saturday and giving me a chance to shoot that sweet Staccato of yours. Thank you to Andy for picking up the bill on Saturday evening’s breaking of bread. Special thanks to Rick W. for going above and beyond on teaching Lisa these great skills……..oh, and also for lightening up my wallet now that she wants an XDM with a trigger job!

All in all, it was an honor and pleasure to train with everyone this past weekend. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
When I first decided to get serious about training, it was because my wife wanted to feel comfortable having guns in the house. I was raised around guns; she wasn't. When we moved to Florida, she was worried about how we would protect ourselves if a hurricane took power out for weeks and the police wouldn't be able to quickly respond. That led me here to find good trainers to teach her and me how to be more efficient with guns and use them well. We met Bob Harvey first and he gave her a great foundation, and then when I changed to a job where I wasn't allowed to carry, I was able to take Brownie's H2H class in 2013. He spent the weekend convincing her to take the gun class and the rest is history.

This weekend was just a reminder that just because you own a gun, doesn't mean that you are prepared to do what it takes to protect yourself and your family. The repetition that we go through in the class, builds muscle memory so that you can react without thinking. I've gotten to the point where a lot of what we cover in this class is unconscious competence. The better part is there I know what in my skillset is either conscious competence and needs reenforcement and what is conscious incompetence and needs work (Quick Kill from my left hand is the big one). I'm ready to spend a lot of time on the range working on that. It was nice to see my hand hold, trigger control is much better than when I committed myself and my wife to this path.

Brownie and Rick took us through the skills in a way that everyone can develop the skills and build on them. The discussions about applying them to real world situations is where this class really hits home. How to handle multiple people at a time. How to deal with precision when you need it (I was able to hit the water bottle target from the back of the range for the first time). The class was worth the investment of time, money, and ammo.

The nice part about this is that even though most gun guys are alphas, this group was very supportive and non-competitive. Everyone was helping others who needed a hand or a pointer.

It's a shame that this is the last one. We may have to rent a bus and go to the desert to have this class again.

Thank you, Rick and Brownie.

Brownie

·
Super Moderator
6,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
First Line

First Line

Three Quarter Hip

Three Quarter Hip

Next Skill

Next Skill

Half Hip with movement

Half Hip with movement

Half Hip

Half Hip

Keep your arm stiff when shooting

Keep your arm stiff when shooting

Shooter4, CLos, and Artemis practicing half hip

Shooter4, CLos, and Artemis practicing half hip

Shake it to the left

Shake it to the left

Shake it to the right

Shake it to the right

Teaching about Crowd Control

Teaching about Crowd Control

·
Registered
522 Posts
All I really don't post much but have trained and meet a lot of ya all over the years .
Like always Brownie and his team of people hosting him do a bang up job of getting all the skills across and doing it safely!
Brownie I'll have drag my but out to Az for some more time with ya
To all the other's this past weekend that. Either I meet for the first time or got to see again it was a pleasure and a honor. Hope to train with you all soon.

·
Registered
15,549 Posts
Everyone looks great. Except for Caleb. He looks like...well...Caleb

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I sadly....put Brownie on a plane.....he and i agreed to post replying to later this evening or tomorrow....we are waiting for some more input from students (now shooters)....

·
Registered
15,549 Posts
Reactions: joecarry and Caleb

·
Registered
9,095 Posts
Here's some more pics from day two:

View attachment 73181
View attachment 73182
View attachment 73178
View attachment 73177
View attachment 73180
View attachment 73176
View attachment 73179

Great seeing the smiles come to people's faces each time they realized they'd just acquired or still owned each skill brownie taught them! What a great weekend with lots of familiar faces, some new faces, and brownie and EBL teaching. Wish I'd captured a group photo because I don't think anyone else did either, unless it was just a random candid shot. Also, it was great working with RSOs Steve, Rick McC, and shooter4 again so we each also got to spend time on the line shooting those same skills! It's safe to say EVERYONE had a fun, safe weekend, broke bread Friday and Saturday nights (many thanks to Edgehill for picking up the dinner bill for the entire group of 15 people Saturday evening; that was above and beyond!), and learned a tremendous amount, even about themselves and what they can accomplish with their EDC! As brownie is famous for saying, the mind is the limiting factor! I know the flight out was a PITA, brownie but we all really appreciated your efforts for this class way more than any of us can express and wish you a safe journey home today! (y) (y)
That’s for damn sure Greg, well said!

41 - 60 of 76 Posts