Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had mixed results with 1911s in the past, but I'm giving them one more chance with my latest acquisition...a Springfield Armory Loaded model with a parkerized finish and tritium sights. Not content to leave well enough alone, I've also added a Smith & Alexander magwell, Mil-Tac grips and a Wilson checkered front strap...sort of a poor man's TRP. :grin

But I swear, if this thing starts giving me grief similar to my last two 1911s - a Taurus and a Kimber - I am finished with them forever! :aarg

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Oil and Grease it before going to the range!

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
You won't be upset. I built my 1911 A1 off the springer platform and has done nothing but shoot...., but if you run cheap russian steel cased 45 threw it. It will start screwing up around 150 and you have to clean the mud out.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
I've had ten 1911s and was never satisfied with any of them until deciding to build one myself. One was the first round of Springfield Armory clones and it was parkerized. Had to do some work to get it feeding hollow points.

I wish I had the first one back, a Randall, but I would not trade any 1911 for the one I have now.

If that one works, KEEP IT!

·
Registered
13,720 Posts
I have carried a 1911 Colt Officers Model do 30 plus years never a hiccup. There's nothing that even comes close to a 1911.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
I have carried a 1911 Colt Officers Model do 30 plus years never a hiccup. There's nothing that even comes close to a 1911.
LOL! That just happens to be the 'keeper' I'm talking about!

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I have carried milsurp 1911's practically everyday since 1963, and have never had a problem with one.[moved to a SA XD40sc for EDC about one year ago.]
Still love the 1911 best.

·
Registered
15,192 Posts
Kimber's QC sucks purple possum p*cker at times. I replaced the barrel link in mine, worked ever since. The Wilson would shoot a cat turd if it had powder and primer on it. All the ones I carried in the Corps worked..Remington Rand, Singer, ect.

·
Registered
13,720 Posts
Kimber's QC sucks purple possum p*cker at times. I replaced the barrel link in mine, worked ever since. The Wilson would shoot a cat turd if it had powder and primer on it. All the ones I carried in the Corps worked..Remington Rand, Singer, ect.
The original Kimbers were great guns and hand made. When they went to CAD design and built they went to chit.
The others you mentioned all great stuff.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
All the ones I carried in the Corps worked..Remington Rand, Singer, ect.
I'd bet money they were massaged by a competent armorer....:bowdown

·
Registered
15,192 Posts
I'd bet money they were massaged by a competent armorer....:bowdown
Not the 1911's...a L/Cpl in the armory kept a bucket of mix n match parts..if it fit within specs, he'd stick it in. That's why surplus military issue 1911's seldom have all the parts from the original manufacture.

·
Registered
54,825 Posts
To bad you couldn't have liberated the Singer, they are worth a LOT of money, even abused. 500 ever made, I'm a little surprised one was still in service.

·
Registered
13,720 Posts
To bad you couldn't have liberated the Singer, they are worth a LOT of money, even abused. 500 ever made, I'm a little surprised one was still in service.
Saw a Singer 1911 go for 125,000 at an auction. And it was in rough shape.

·
Registered
13,720 Posts
Not the 1911's...a L/Cpl in the armory kept a bucket of mix n match parts..if it fit within specs, he'd stick it in. That's why surplus military issue 1911's seldom have all the parts from the original manufacture.
On the range, the armorer showed up with 2 crates of 50 mix and match 1911's. they rattled like crazy when slide locked open. We'd have the shooters fire double strings Monday and Tuesday (100) rounds each. Weds 1 practice string and prequal (100-200).
And qualification on Thursday (50 rounds).

We would run 50 shooters and six relays a day. At the end of the day the coaches an PMI's would each grab a gun and any opened crates of ammo and shoot till it was all gone, because once a crate of ammo is opened the armored would have to survey every individual round if he was taking the opened crate back to the ammo bunker. He would make us shoot it all.

Those guns very rarely had any issues of any kind.

·
Registered
54,825 Posts
Saw a Singer 1911 go for 125,000 at an auction. And it was in rough shape.
I was surprised Pig even mentioned seeing a Singer Bob. Can't believe someone didn't know what they were and liberate it in the 50 years it had to be in service. Few actually made it into inventory of the 500 from what I've been able to ascertain while researching and collecting ww1, ww2 and post war commercial 1911's back in the 80's.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Starting out with Taurus and Kimber stacked the deck against you,neither can build a 1911 well.As mentioned,the first Kimbers were good pieces,then they decided to throw specs out the window and hire assemblers that didn't know what they were doing.Extractor tuning is something they don't understand because they were notorious about ejection issues.

If you have a hitch with the SA,they will fix it or you can fix the easier stuff cheap or for nothing.They actually know how a 1911 works.

·
Registered
13,720 Posts
I was surprised Pig even mentioned seeing a Singer Bob. Can't believe someone didn't know what they were and liberate it in the 50 years it had to be in service. Few actually made it into inventory of the 500 from what I've been able to ascertain while researching and collecting ww1, ww2 and post war commercial 1911's back in the 80's.
A Union Switch and Signal will draw big money also......Only 30,000 built out of a 200,000 contract.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts