Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to channel 4 news in Orlando the city will be getting the biggest gun range/shop in the state of Florida by next December.
Shooters World apparently already exists in Tampa (64,000sf) but this new store off I-drive will be much larger (79,000sf) sitting on 3 acres this facility will be two stories high and about the size of a Wally-World with 56 firing lanes some up 100 yards long.

The news article goes on to say that there was no opposition to the new gun range from any of the neighboring property owners within 300 feet, no surprise there considering the only neighbor is Outback Steakhouse which stands to quadruple it's business once the facility opens its doors to the public.
I for one will be making a pilgrimage to Shooters World in Orlando for their grand opening and then to Outback Steakhouse afterwards for some red meat and potatoes.

Anyone familiar with the Shooters World in Tampa? Are they really the Wally-World of guns? Are they fairly priced?

Here's another article from the Herald-Tribune dated 12 Feb 2013.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm a member at the Tampa location. The range and store is top of the line. I don't care much for indoor shooting but at less than 5min from my house it has become my range. The prices however match the setting. They pretty much start at MSRP. They do carry just about anything you want. They have a mini museum of firearms to browse as well as couches and comfy chairs strategically placed for those you may have brought with you who are less enthusiastic about looking at every toy available. That is the Tampa store in the video posted above and I saw Bruce make a few comments, he is a good guy. Last week I bought a suppressor from a different dealer and had questions about the form 4, Bruce looked it over for me and notarized the assignment page. Comparing them to Walmart is a great injustice, they may have everything you need, but the similarities end there. Shooters World is a high end outlet, clean, bright and spacious. Something to consider when looking at the gun prices is; they offer a lifetime warranty on all the guns they sell. You may save a few bucks on a gun at a smaller dealer, but you wont find the selection, a nicer staff, or more appealing store. The Range is the only indoor location I will shoot at. I don't know of anyone in Florida with a nicer indoor range, well worth the $12. I will probably make the trip to Orlando when the new one opens.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Crap! I don't know if I have enough posts to get away with the review I just wrote with out you guys thinking I work there.

let's put it this way:

Nice @$$ store, nicer range, Yep you gotta pay for it, I love em anyway.

I also make a point to visit and make purchases from a few of the smaller shops in town.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I've been to the Shooters World in Tampa and it is nice. Prices a bit high but they do offer a lifetime warranty on new guns, but that is of limited value to me as I do all of my own work. I guess it would mean something for a major failure but I've never had one and hope I don't. But the long and short of it is that it is farther than I want to drive very often and even more to the point I really prefer to go to my local LGS anyway.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Is it Wally world ? NO
It's Saks 5th Avenue.

Bright, Clean, Modern.
It's the new thing a Guntry Club.

Women love the place.

Mall Ninja's and guys in Cammies are rarely seen.

The prices reflect this.
They take credit cards and there's no 3% up charge nonsense.

It is the future of our sport

AFS

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
It's nice that their rifle range is 100 yards. For an indoor range that's better than many. Very nice for sighting in and checking grouping at 100 yards with no wind factor. That said, the shooting bench isn't the most stable in the world, but you can shoot prone as long as you tell the RO you're going to.

·
Super Moderator
10,691 Posts
I don't know of anyone in Florida with a nicer indoor range, well worth the $12.
So range time is $12. Is that per hour, for as long as you want to shoot, or what? Do they offer annual memberships? Can you shoot your own ammo, including reloads?

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Hopefully we will be able to do the refresher, re-qualification for the G-lic. Being able to breath well purified air, a bonus!

They would need to have separation possible, IE say, ten spots able to be isolated. Portable walls?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Steve48 asked:
So range time is $12. Is that per hour, for as long as you want to shoot, or what?
Their website says $15 for pistol per hour and $18 for rifles per hour.

Do they offer annual memberships?
Yes, see [this chart] for pricing.

Can you shoot your own ammo, including reloads?
Yes you can shoot your own, but only factory produced ammo is allowed to be used on the range.
Hand or privately loaded ammo, tracers, explosive or armor piercing ammunition is strictly prohibited.
Shotguns are allowed with slugs or buckshot only.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
No hand or privately loaded ammo, means another range I’ll probably never shoot at.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Is there a link to the story? I am not finding it in WESH's site.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Well finally a new range down the street to check out. It does look very modern. And I can see it bringing in many tourists and looking more friendly for those who have zero experience with firearms. A positive first experience is always great for the cause. But however I'm not a fan of the per hour pricing. There are a few ranges here in town with flat rates.
None the less I'll be there opening day and will be having steak and potatoes with a side of lead :)

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is there a link to the story? I am not finding it in WESH's site.
There's the video on the very first post but if you're looking for a posting on the WESH site I can't help you there.
There is however a page full of different news articles on the Shooters World website that you can look at by clicking here.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Steve48 asked:
So range time is $12. Is that per hour, for as long as you want to shoot, or what?
Their website says $15 for pistol per hour and $18 for rifles per hour.

Do they offer annual memberships?
Yes, see [this chart] for pricing.

Can you shoot your own ammo, including reloads?
Yes you can shoot your own, but only factory produced ammo is allowed to be used on the range.
Hand or privately loaded ammo, tracers, explosive or armor piercing ammunition is strictly prohibited.
Shotguns are allowed with slugs or buckshot only.

Sorry I was a little off on the fee, it may have gone up since I became a member. That is for an hour however if it is not crowded (lanes still open) they will not kick you out. Friday and Saturday nights get very busy, day time during the week is very pleasant.

Not going to say anything about handloads as they are against the rules. They do no inspection of your gun or range bag and I like it that way.
They also got blasted before they even opened about a rule stating all brass was "lost brass" and property of Shooters World. That rule has been amended to read you may pick up your brass as long as you don't disturb other shooters.

The membership is well worth it, 5% off on all purchases and a separate line at the range desk. If I go alone twice a month it pays for itself, bring my wife or a kid and I'm really making it worth it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts