·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Did he just hang himself?
Figuratively speaking

·
Super Moderator
27,762 Posts
If Rittenhouse really paid for the rifle, then it was a straw purchase by someone else and it's a problem for whomever the firearm was transfered to because at 17, an FFL couldn't have transferred a firearm to Rittenhouse. However, I don't think it's an issue for the Rittenhouse Defense Team (Of course, I can always have my mind improved on that point). I do wonder why he was giving an interview to WaPost or ANY media organization, though!

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
Sounds like the old story where the defendant had the right to remain silent but just not the ability. I think it will be a problem for the defense team.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
I couldn’t believe he was flapping his gums giving an interview! Keep your mouth shut dude!!! 😳

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Having flashbacks to George Zimmerman. Another one who did not know when to keep his mouth shut.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
I would have thought his legal team would have told him under no circumstances are you to talk to the media or give any statements or interviews no matter what. He can write his books and do speeches when all this is over.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Open mouth. Insert foot.

But... since journalism is 100% totally dead these days, I'm hopeful the article is fake news, or taken completely out of context.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
^^^ you are correct. That may have been totally fabricated. Never know these days.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I recall seeing an article this past week where another person in WI is who purchased the rifle, he said he bought it with Rittenhouse money for him. Indeed a straw purchase.

·
Registered
20,498 Posts
i believe any competent attorney could walk this out of harm's way buy stating kyle may have given him the money to buy a rifle so there was one for him to use when he visited...that would not be a straw purchase...it would be a friend giving another friend money so he could buy another rifle...with the advantage of having two rifles being that they both could shoot at a range at the same time...

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
That will be a significant problem in the case. The guy who bought the rifle has already been charged with the straw purchase I believe and then something along the lines of providing a weapon to a minor that was used in a murder.

The problem will be this kid may well be called to testify since his state of mind is an important element of a self-defense claim. When that happens and if that happens then the way he acquired the weapon may be fair game. I don’t think his making up a story as indicated above will defeat the straw purchase charge. That would probably lead to an additional perjury charge. If the manner in which the rifle was purchased comes out, you never know how that will strike a jury but I can’t see it becoming a positive in any respect.

I used to call it the “DUI rub off effect”, as an example. If someone pulled in front of the person at a stop sign and caused a bad accident, the value range of the case might be X, If the person causing the wreck was drunk and I could prove it, the verdict or value range would be X plus.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts