Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if Keywest Express utilizes TSA style screening either to or from Key West from Ft. Lauderdale? Metal detectors? Baggage inspection or x-ray?

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Good question. I would like to know as well.

·
Registered
11,082 Posts
I doubt it; if you can take a bicycle, scooter or wheelchair aboard, I don't see how they could possibly screen for weapons.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
As I recall, all departures from Key West are screened through a metal detector manned by a KWPD officer. Last time I went out of Fort Myers, there was no screening on this end, but that was several years ago and I wasn't carrying that day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Wow. TSA took it over?

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
It must've been a while since the last time you were there because the last time I flew into Key West was more than eight years ago and TSA was there then.
Unless they are one of the airports that has since lost TSA staffing.
I normally don't bother flying down to Key West since I enjoy the drive from Miami.
Oh yeah, it's been years for sure. But we're not talking about the airport. The Key West Express is a high-speed boat service that operates between Key West and a couple of peninsula cities. The place to which I'm referring is the municipal boat terminal at the harbor.

·
Registered
9,888 Posts
Yeah, the Key West Express is a boat, not a plane.

I don't recall any security that would prevent one from carrying. To be safe, just call and ask.

"Hi, I was considering your service and was wondering about security. Do you have a TSA-style system with metal detectors, scanners, and item restrictions or am I allowed to bring my nail clippers?"

-on Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,122 Posts
Miami and Fort Lauderdale used to have something like this, but I think it's out of business now.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Isn't there a similar service (maybe same company) that operates off of Naples or Ft Myers?

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
I think this may be one of the topics we haven't covered on this forum. They make daily round trip runs between Fort Myers and Key West, with a stop on Marco Island.

http://www.seakeywestexpress.com/default.htm

It's not covered in their FAQ section or any other. It may require a phone call or an email...

·
Registered
16,587 Posts
Yeah, the Key West Express is a boat, not a plane.

I don't recall any security that would prevent one from carrying. To be safe, just call and ask.

"Hi, I was considering your service and was wondering about security. Do you have a TSA-style system with metal detectors, scanners, and item restrictions or am I allowed to bring my nail clippers?"

-on Tapatalk
And while you ask those questions the one on the other end is writing your name and number down via caller ID and passing it off to DHS. Later that evening you will see a black unmarked car in your driveway as well. :rofl

·
Super Moderator
6,122 Posts
And while you ask those questions the one on the other end is writing your name and number down via caller ID and passing it off to DHS. Later that evening you will see a black unmarked car in your driveway as well. :rofl
That's why he says his name is Blanca Busa and that he lives in West Palm Beach. :rofl

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Tell them you are going diving and have a spear gun in your dive bag.

Sent from my XT1080 using Outdoor Forums mobile app

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
:popcorn

·
Registered
9,888 Posts
If the address on my phone, or anything else for that matter, traced back to my physical address, maybe.

-on Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 36 Posts