Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a fairly decent shot (ok OK I am good) with my Glock 26. I plink pretty good with my new Ruger Mark III 22/45.

My Kahr PM9 is a whole 'nother story. I think my problem in achieving the kind of accuracy I am looking for, is the LONG trigger pull on the PM9.

I realize the Kahr is much more of a "belly" gun then the glock so when I go to the range, my targets are not put out as far as I might with the glock. Still not happy with the results.

Anyone have suggestions (other than practice, practice, practice) for how I can tame that beast and gain the kind of accuracy I would like with the Kahr?

Thanks in advance

Bev :flag

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Anyone have suggestions (other than practice, practice, practice) for how I can tame that beast and gain the kind of accuracy I would like with the Kahr?

Thanks in advance

Hey Bev, sorry I haven't said welcome yet, but "WELCOME"! As for the Kahr PM9, please refer to my earlier thread with a PM45. http://floridaconcealedcarry.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=3606&highlight=kahr
I really wanted this gun, but I'm glad I had the opportunity to rent it before buying it. Saved me a bunch of bucks and a bunch of headaches. When I told the gunshop owner just how out of sync this weapon was, he said "It's a Kahr, it takes about 500+ rounds to get it to settle in". I said "OK, you pay for the ammo and the range time to break it in. Give me a call when it's good to go." He said he wouldn't be willing to do that, I said "No thanks, keep it." Such ended my love affair with a Kahr.

Hope you have better luck with yours, gal.

Beers,
Ken

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have the same problem with my CW9, Really long trigger pull due to the "safety"....but I'm just gonna stick with it and see if it gets better. But ya I'm with you on this haha!!

·
Super Moderator
19,792 Posts
I am a fairly decent shot (ok OK I am good) with my Glock 26. I plink pretty good with my new Ruger Mark III 22/45.

My Kahr PM9 is a whole 'nother story. I think my problem in achieving the kind of accuracy I am looking for, is the LONG trigger pull on the PM9.

I realize the Kahr is much more of a "belly" gun then the glock so when I go to the range, my targets are not put out as far as I might with the glock. Still not happy with the results.

Thanks in advance

What kind of accuracy are you looking for, Bev?

I love my PM9. Points naturally and I can keep the rounds on an 8" circle out to about 15 yards. I'm not looking for 1-hole accuracy from 25 yards...just to be able to hit a chest-sized target no matter what I'm doing.

This is a pocket gun for me. I need to be able to put 7 rounds COM at nominal distances (7yds or less) as fast as I can get on target. With the PM9, I can. I don't expect or need anything more than that from this little pocket rocket.

Take a look at this thread:
Kahr PM9 and read Brownie's post #6.

That trigger will take some getting used to. That long trigger pull will affect your accuracy until you master it. Dry fire will do wonders.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Interesting... My P40 makes about a 2.75-3" group at 15 feet. At the 25 mark, about 6". It really is accurate for what it is...

·
653 Posts
I have a CW9 and it is my main carry weapon. I can group within 5 inches from 20 feet. It took a lot (emphasize that) of dry practice to get used to the long trigger pull. I was anticipating my shot with the long trigger pull. My son is a lot better with it than I am. I can tell you that I put over 1000 rounds of everything through it and it has not had the slightest problem. This gun has gone "pop" every time I pulled the trigger. The PM9 is supposed to be more accurate with the polygonal rifling.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Try this put a empty shell casing on the end of the barrel. Dry fire the weapon and get to the point the casing stays on the weapon.

·
Registered
11,082 Posts
To me the trigger pull on a Kahr is hardly any different than that of a double-action revolver. To master it takes lots of dry fire practice. One old trick is to take a small coin and place it on top of the slide; then practice until you can hold the sights on target without the coin falling off through the entire trigger stroke. After a few thousand of those, you should be good to go. :thumsup :D

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all who responded. I guess if I want to master this weapon it will require lots of dry firing and range time.

Had some range time today and brought my targets in closer. I hit the paper:dancingbanana and would more than likely hit my adversary should it ever come to that

>>Rvrctyrngr-Take a look at this thread:Kahr PM9 and read Brownie's post #6.<<

Excellent read thank you. Confirms my notion that this little cannon will NOT give me the accuracy I want at a great distance.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have a PM9 and am pleased with the "accuracy" at 7 yards and 10 yards - probably the extent of any distance that this pocket gun would be employed in a defensive situation. Shot a lot early on to the lower left of the center of the target. Found that I was not smoothly pressing the trigger.. I was pulling it unevenly. As a right-hander this put my shots left and down of center. Practice with dry firing, racking the slide between each pull to get a feel of the trigger when in battery. Now I can shoot 1-2 inch groups at 7 yds and 1-3 inch groups at 10 yards. Took a while and lots of dry firing. Not a bad routine for developing accuracy for any handgun.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I love my PM9, it just plain disappears like magic! I got it about 1 month ago. Put it thru break in period with no issues, shoots just like the .38 I used to play with. Kind lively without the extended mag however, must be a leverage thing. :banghead2

·
Registered
244 Posts
The PM9, of course, is not a target pistol. With a barrel length just shy of 3 inches, short sight radius, and long pull, it will magnify the slightest flaws one may have in their shooting. With some more range sessions, you'll be alright. :)

·
Registered
877 Posts
When I was looking for a singlestack 9mm I borrowed a friend's PM9. Quality piece. It took me a couple magazines to find where to stage the DA trigger, but once I found it, it was fairly accurate. To me the thing that makes the PM9 so good, tiny size, makes it harder for me to shoot. I decided on the Walther PPS. Slightly larger dimension on height and length and about the same thickness (or should I say narrowness) as the PM9. Its also a bit heavier than the PM9 but that size and weight in combination with a trigger I am more used to (striker-fired) makes the gun MUCH more shootable for me compared to the PM9. The PM9 is better at concealment. You can slip it in your pocket and forget its there but if I had to choose one to shoot it would be the PPS. To me, it shoots more like a flat G26, XD-sub, M&PCompact and less like a pocket gun (PM9, PF9 and other Keltecs).

I took the PPS out today and ran some drills. Bill drills, elPrez, and the IDPA classifier. The more I shoot it the more I like it. Its a very capable little gun that shoots like a bigger gun. Some of the hits I was getting out of that short barrel really impressed me! Haven't had a failure yet with various types of ammo, its probably going to become my new EDC in the real near future.

·
Registered
20,588 Posts
you have to learn to adjust your grip so that the trigger finger is the only one that moves when it presses on the trigger...concentrate on it while dry firing and youll get a natural sense for it...when it clicks with you youll be shocked at how right it feels and how well you shoot with it...

it doesnt take a lot of ammo...dry firing while holding on an object is easy and can be practiced in your living room...ive killed everything in my house that doesnt move while practicing...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks again to everyone who took the time to offer suggestions. I DO need ALOT more range time with this MONSTER :banghead2 but I am determined to make it work for me

·
Registered
453 Posts
One thing I though of after posting. You may want to try the "A Grip" with the PM9. I ordered one from Kahr and put it on - real easy and does not add any real girth to the grip, but does feel great and seems to dampen the recoil a bit. Carries just as well in my FIST Kydex pocket holster with the AGrip as without.

·
Super Moderator
19,792 Posts
thanks again to everyone who took the time to offer suggestions. I DO need ALOT more range time with this MONSTER :banghead2 but I am determined to make it work for me

What bladenbullet said.

Bev, you've read the threads. The PM9 is capable of all the accuracy you are. It just takes getting used to that trigger.

At a range session a couple of weeks ago, I ran 8" steel plates with my buddy from 12 yards who was shooting a full size SIG P226 Elite. He normally shoots better than I, but I stayed with him with that little Kahr. I'm a mediocre shooter, at best, but the Kahr is just a VERY natural pointer for me.

Last weekend, I ran some close-in drills from 5-7 yards. Shooting half-hip, I was able to keep all rounds in the 8" circle as fast as I could pull the trigger....weak handed. I have witnesses! :D That is what the gun is made for.

The more you shoot it and the more you dry-fire, the better you will be.

Best of luck to you, Bev. :thumsup

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a Kahr CW9 and was having the same difficulty. I really like the gun though so I kept at it. Someone told me to slide my trigger finger further in on the trigger a little. Works like a charm!! Give it a shot......sorry. couldn't resist

1 - 20 of 22 Posts