Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to pass along some information to everyone here, I looked around and did not find it necessarily posted in this manner, but have seen topics that covered some of these things in some ways. My views may not be the same as some. I am not a law enforcement officer, I do however work closely with many in Federal Law Enforcement due to the nature of my work and when they talk about some of the newer things they are seeing, I listen closely.

What prompted me to write this is reading a lot of the stories lately in the news (bad idea I know!), such as just in my city on New Years day we had our first murder within 1 hour and 15 minutes into the New Year, and after pouring over multiple sources I have seen what looks like in my eyes a rash of younger and younger offenders and I'm talking ages 6 to 12.

Anyone who reads this may feel free to critique me and provide there own input and or corrections, I have no problem with that and firmly believe there is always more then one solution to every problem.

After speaking with some of my friends they have told me that they expect the next 7 to 9 years to be some of the most violent in American history due to the economy, job loss, and housing issues. This is obviously not a fact and just the professional observation of those individuals as a whole. I tend to believe them when they speak because they have been in the field a whole lot longer then me at my ripe age of 27.

One of the things they told me stood out more then any other as I have recently became a father. They told me about a large rise in crime against individuals with children. It seems this is not a new trick just one that seems to be working a lot so the criminals are really starting to go with it more often. What the perpetrators are doing is targeting families who are usually a perfect target because its not always easy to take care of the children and maintain that combat mind set or always be vigilant. The perpetrators will attack the family taking the children at gun or knife point and make there demands or further there physical violence on the adult members. Primarily the crimes in this area consist of robberies. There is from what I'm told an increase in targeting women with children for abduction. The perpetrator takes control of the child, then the woman is compliant. The perpetrator typically wants the woman to take them somewhere else, in most crimes the initial attack point is not usually where the main crime or death or rape takes place from what I am told. Does this mean always? No. There are exceptions to everything. The initial attack point is increasingly becoming a place in public view as the perpetrators get better at taking people without even being noticed.

How to defend this scenario? Well ultimately how you do it is up to you. What I can recommend is that you do not get in the car with anyone. The police will tell you in most situations you should be compliant, but what there telling me in this situation is if they get you and your child in the car the statistics say your not coming home. Throw the car keys, scream for help, (ladies if you have no other option to defend yourself use your legs, most of you will be far more powerful with your legs then your arms.) It is also usually a good idea to put your children in the car last, after you have placed your groceries, or other goods in the car. It would in my opinion be far better if your going to be shot or stabbed that it happen in a parking lot with a chance for an ambulance or EMT, then to be left for dead somewhere where the chance for survival is far more slim. Obviously though if you make yourself a hard target in the first place your chances of being targeted should decrease. If your on point when the attacker goes for the play you can be ready and respond. The attackers want the element of surprise and they want compliant victims, not someone who they think will respond or fight back.

Alarm systems often give people a false sense of security, many perpetrators will patrol streets looking for homes with alarm signs, then call the house (land line numbers for houses when you have the address is very easy to find out, most people do not go out of there way to conceal this information.) at 3 am and tell them there from the alarm company, and that they need the pass-code and other information (you know the how call goes). Then tell you everything is okay, have a good night. The next day your house will be empty. Switch alarm company signs with a close friend or neighbor, so you do not have your real alarm company signs in your yard, anyone trying to call to get your information will be quickly ousted.

Florida has had a huge rise in home invasions. From what I'm told this is due to an increase in gang activity in the State. Especially from MS-13, however there are many other gangs out there as well (and these crimes are not always gang activity.)who love Florida for its culture, large beaches, and otherwise good people. Most home invasions occur after your house has been cased by someone going door to door or someone calling your home, there are many variations on this, from folks selling things to people calling seemingly confused about how they got the wrong number. Some other schemes have also recently included people buying uniforms and even buying company vans to make the ruse even more believable. That sears pest control guy that just got done giving you an estimate you never asked for, might be cause for suspicion, nothing against Sears this is just one thing that I have heard about. Something to remember, make sure you look before you open the door even an inch. Your chained door will do nothing against a concerted effort. If you open that door even an inch, the perpetrators can easily overpower the chain, door, and you. If they have done this before and are experienced they will launch into your house with lightning speed sprinting around the house to secure any individuals inside. The best defense against this is to make sure you check each and every time before you open the door. There are buttressed access impinges you can buy that make it so it must be removed before the door can fully open, these will only buy you a few seconds. Don't be a hermit crab, check the outside of your home routinely, make sure you don't see signs of people being where you know they should not. This could be evidence of casing prior to the attack.

I am sure most people are aware of these instances, there are many more I could go into but these were just some things I wanted to put out, take a few extra seconds to be prepared and plan ahead. Talk with your family and have a plan. It never hurts to have a countersign with your family so that you will know if there is a problem with just one word. In my field of work I see guys every day who talk about all the plans they have and how they will not be easy targets, the biggest flaw that most of them always have is they forget to include the family in these plans, communicate and make sure everyone will be on the same page. It will be hard enough dealing with the perpetrators or the situation at hand, know where your family will be and how they will react. Just remember people are generally creatures of habit by nature, just don't be surprised when things don't go as planned and people don't respond as you anticipated, it'll happen every time.

I hope you got something from this even if it was just a little refresher, this is not a complete guide nor meant to serve as a cornerstone for your training, it's just a little food for thought, I hope you enjoyed.

If you made it this far you have my regards!

Very respectfully,

Kludo

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Kludo, good info and a great reminder. Be aware and have a plan. Things are going to get alot worse before they get better and not only because of the economy but also because we have a whole generation of latch key kids coming up that have no respect for human life as evidenced by the increased gang activity and proliferation of violence. These people have been raised with NO CONSCIENCE..There is no distinction between right and wrong. I could go on forever on this topic alone but I won't..Needless to say but humanity and life itself have no meaning and are being debased in ways and numbers that are far beyond our understanding. There is no sanctity of life to a generation of people who have been raised with no ethics concerning religion or law. Kind of like the burgeoning beginnings of Anarchy.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Florida has had a huge rise in home invasions. From what I'm told this is due to an increase in gang activity in the State. Especially from MS-13, however there are many other gangs out there as well (and these crimes are not always gang activity.)who love Florida for its culture, large beaches, and otherwise good people. Most home invasions occur after your house has been cased by someone going door to door or someone calling your home, there are many variations on this, from folks selling things to people calling seemingly confused about how they got the wrong number. Some other schemes have also recently included people buying uniforms and even buying company vans to make the ruse even more believable. That sears pest control guy that just got done giving you an estimate you never asked for, might be cause for suspicion, nothing against Sears this is just one thing that I have heard about. Something to remember, make sure you look before you open the door even an inch. Your chained door will do nothing against a concerted effort. If you open that door even an inch, the perpetrators can easily overpower the chain, door, and you. If they have done this before and are experienced they will launch into your house with lightning speed sprinting around the house to secure any individuals inside.
Here's a good example .. http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...-deltona-home-invasion-010709,0,6349060.story

Men invade Deltona home, abduct woman

Bianca Prieto | Sentinel Staff Writer
7:55 AM EST, January 7, 2009

Four masked, armed men stormed a Volusia County home yesterday morning, stealing several items and then abducting a woman at gun point, according to deputies.

The home invasion occurred around 11 a.m. Tuesday in the 2400 block of Pine Tree Acres Lane in Deltona when a man showed up at the home posing as an employee of a satellite TV company, the victim told deputies. The disguise didn't fool the victim and that is when four men forced their way into the man's home.

The armed men were in the home for at least three hours and stole TV sets and other items, according to the victim. The men allegedly forced the victim's 28-year-old daughter from the home at gun point and stole her car. Some of the men left in a van while the others rode in the woman's stolen Mazda Tribute.

Deputies launched search for the abducted woman, the stolen car and the armed men around 3 p.m. when the victim reported the crime, records show.

Three dozen patrol units, along with investigators, K-9 units and a helicopter searched for the missing woman. She arrived back at her home around 4:30 p.m. and told her father that "her captors had driven her around in her car for a while and let her go," according to deputies.

No one was injured and no shots were ever fired during the incident.

Deputies found an abandoned van late Tuesday near Catalina and Howland boulevards and some of the stolen items were in the van, according to the sheriff's office.

No arrests have been made.

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
I must say that home invasion was the primary reason that I bought my first gun. It's one thing to be violated out in public but it's another thing if it happens in your home. "A person's home is their castle" and I will protect my family with all my life if someone tries to violate the sanctity of our home. SwampRat is so right about the youth and how they have no morals or value life. It's scary just to think that it's most time than not the young criminals that are the most vicious.

·
Registered
6,140 Posts
Don't be a hermit crab, check the outside of your home routinely, make sure you don't see signs of people being where you know they should not. This could be evidence of casing prior to the attack.
Great post.

I work out of my house and from my office I can see my front yard and several of my neighbors houses. I can also see my backyard and pool area from my office. I watch what goes on on my street (I live on a cul-de-sac) and I know what is normal activity. We only have 10 houses on the street and with stay at home moms, retired people and work at homes we are pretty well covered. Still it pays to be attentive and I stay armed.

·
Registered
117 Posts
My street has everything from run-down trailers to $250,000 homes. Last year, I got a knock on the door. A young lady and man were there, so I opened the door. "You have ice"? and handed me a bowl. (We have a lot of Russians here now). The wife said there were 4 others in the driveway. I locked the glass door and got their ice. I gave them their ice and they left without incident. Maybe they noticed the .45 tucked under my arm!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts