Florida Concealed Carry banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
31,674 Posts
Did you say "Do you want to be Anti Gun " , To Me ? Or In General . Because I Would NEVER BE ANTI GUN IN MY LIFE . Especially with the SIZE and Variations of my Entire Collection ! Maybe I read You Wrong , If So My Bad 'G'
Although his post started out by quoting your post, I don't believe Anduril was addressing YOU as anti-gun, just anti-gun folks in general. :unsure:

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Although his post started out by quoting your post, I don't believe Anduril was addressing YOU as anti-gun, just anti-gun folks in general. :unsure:
I was hoping so Mr. BH .. I did add 'Maybe I read You wrong' [ My Bad ] ;)(y)

This knowing that I have been a gun nut since age [ 14 ] . Let's see , That would be about [ 63 ] years ago .

My Dad had my 'Marine' Uncle Charlie's S&W U.S. Navy Issue .38 Sp . * This After Trading a Navy guy for it just after the war . Very Nice Wheelie (y)

Reactions: BeerHunter

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
I understand the mentality, I do. In my own case, I've likely got more training than the leo's that will be arriving. I'm not going to rush to it, but I'm going to make my way to it, and tactically, as the situation dictates.

I'd want someone with some training to step up if it was one of my relatives that was in peril. I wouldn't want some bozo who thinks he knows what he's doing to move on a shooter however. Then again, there's plenty of bozo leo's who might not be any more reliable under pressure.

I've intervened in a knife attack on another, taken a pistol away from a felon about to point a pistol at a dep sheriff who wouldn't have seen it until too late, and several physical altercations that were either two on one or more/there was a huge disparity of force. Of course that was long before the wokeness we suffer in this country today.
Correct.
I do not have the training and experience that you (and several of our FCC members) have, which explains somewhat my disinclination to become involved unless the situation involved friends or family. And while I don't (want to ) think I belong to the bozo class, I'm old enough and wise enough to know it's the things you don't know that can get you into real trouble !!

·
Registered
15,352 Posts
I feel I should clarify a bit. While I completely understand the "sheepdog" mentality, such as @brownie's inclinations....

I also FEEL them. That INSTINCT is there for me, too. I hate ****ing violent criminals.

As a consistent concealed firearms carrier - I think it's important to go through the various mental machinations of self-defense and violent crime scenarios. "What would I do if....." I think it's important to work through them MENTALLY. Many times. In every conceivable scenario.

While I do have that "sheepdog" mentality, I have to balance it against my other obligations in life. Namely: My family.

Yes... I am compelled to defend other victims. I think especially if I can see it happening in front of me. Less so, if it's a distance away / out of my sight. But, where is my bigger sense of obligation? To go HOME to my FAMILY. To be able to provide for them materially and to BE THERE for them. Heroes don't always survive. Would I rather be a hero to strangers? Or be there for my family?

I also understand @Anduril's somewhat contemptuous position towards those who CHOOSE not to carry a defensive weapon (for whichever reasons).

The reality is that running TOWARDS gunfire is a significant risk... not just legally, but to your life. Do I want to risk my life and my FAMILY's well-being for strangers? The short answer is NO.

Now... If I had been in the Publix, and IN VIEW (and range), at the time that grandmother and child were randomly murdered by a psychopath a year or so ago... Would I have acted? Probably. Maybe. If I felt I might be in danger, as well, then yes. If the perp was 50 feet away with his back to me, and the door to the warehouse was 10 feet away... it would be quicker and safer for me to duck out the door to the back warehouse? I'm probably going to beat feet.

I see my defensive weapon as just that. Defensive. My primary goal in ANY case is to GO HOME to my family. Like @Anduril , I will feel bad for the victims. But I will find comfort in being home with my own family. If I was a single man or no family? I would likely feel differently. And, of course, if I had chosen to be a professional sheepdog... also different.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'd hope someone like me would step up to the plate and engage if my mother, sister, nieces were in the same scenario. How likely is that to happen? Who knows
(y)

I've got 17 & 18 year old kids; they are not old enough to legally carry.
If I'm not around, I'd hope that if they were unfortunate enough to be caught in a "incident" that someone like me would intervene if they could.
If I turn that around and I'm somewhere and a shooter is going to kill innocent people (somebody else's kids) I'm confident they would prefer I try to stop it.

Lots of 16 - 20 year olds that can drive, have jobs, be out in public but can't effectively defend against a shooter because they can't legally carry if they wanted to.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I feel I should clarify a bit. While I completely understand the "sheepdog" mentality, such as @brownie's inclinations....

I also FEEL them. That INSTINCT is there for me, too. I hate ****ing violent criminals.

As a consistent concealed firearms carrier - I think it's important to go through the various mental machinations of self-defense and violent crime scenarios. "What would I do if....." I think it's important to work through them MENTALLY. Many times. In every conceivable scenario.

While I do have that "sheepdog" mentality, I have to balance it against my other obligations in life. Namely: My family.

Yes... I am compelled to defend other victims. I think especially if I can see it happening in front of me. Less so, if it's a distance away / out of my sight. But, where is my bigger sense of obligation? To go HOME to my FAMILY. To be able to provide for them materially and to BE THERE for them. Heroes don't always survive. Would I rather be a hero to strangers? Or be there for my family?

I also understand @Anduril's somewhat contemptuous position towards those who CHOOSE not to carry a defensive weapon (for whichever reasons).

The reality is that running TOWARDS gunfire is a significant risk... not just legally, but to your life. Do I want to risk my life and my FAMILY's well-being for strangers? The short answer is NO.

Now... If I had been in the Publix, and IN VIEW (and range), at the time that grandmother and child were randomly murdered by a psychopath a year or so ago... Would I have acted? Probably. Maybe. If I felt I might be in danger, as well, then yes. If the perp was 50 feet away with his back to me, and the door to the warehouse was 10 feet away... it would be quicker and safer for me to duck out the door to the back warehouse? I'm probably going to beat feet.

I see my defensive weapon as just that. Defensive. My primary goal in ANY case is to GO HOME to my family. Like @Anduril , I will feel bad for the victims. But I will find comfort in being home with my own family. If I was a single man or no family? I would likely feel differently. And, of course, if I had chosen to be a professional sheepdog... also different.
Understood and This Very well said ! In my case , I tend to be a bit more like Mr. Brownie I'd say . No where Near his training at all [ Professionally ] .

As a Ground Combat Veteran & lastly Squad leader & Track Commander , that alone was the Genesis of My Instilled Sheepherding Instincts . In My case those experiences have stayed with me my whole life .

Most of my men assigned to me were basically strangers , not known , and Only In Country [ 6] - [8 ] weeks. They basically didn't care for any Outside Sergeant , 'Until' . Then came the Respect , when the SHTF . Then came The APC/ AT Land & Double Mines !

*Now transitioning back to Civilian life & getting my CWP here in '89 . If you go by the guide lines , You're pretty safe . If you decide to go ahead without thinking , rest assured you may be in deep trouble , situations being Many Types and Kinds . I go by My common sense , Not Combat Instilled reactions .

*I learned this in Intense Therapy & was later told IHO , I had a real *Gun Fetish for many years . I Told the Doc' , I Was & Am Only a Collector which Grew , & Reloading Was & Is My Hobby & Therapy . Proof , My Record is Totally Clean. .

**This just because even inside my house , at any time I had weapons accessible in every single room & bathrooms .To me was / is my Norm , upon Returning from Nam in mid '67 . This has stayed that way even now .

Within my reach from bed , I Have [ 2 ] weapons [ 65 ] rounds Total Capacity [ Mr. Rick Saw One ]. This is Of Course , just to Begin With. This My True , Real Me & Background . Getting To Know Me ..'G' (y) 🇺🇲🇺🇲🇺🇲

21 - 28 of 28 Posts