Premium Member
6,583 Posts
This is one very "SAD" situation.
Ronnie

Reactions: guitargain

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
Sad, indeed. Yeah, I'd probably not draw unless the threat were directly attacking me or mine. Otherwise, I'd be on the phone with 911 and/or being a good eyewitness.

·
Registered
15,359 Posts
Even though I am armed, I am not running TOWARDS gunfire (unless I have reason to believe my loved ones are in danger).

Two reasons:

1. I don't want to risk being hurt or killed by the bad guy.
2. I don't want to risk being hurt or killed by another good guy.

·
Premium Member
6,583 Posts
I was told a few times over the years that if a person walks into a building, be it a mall, store, school or any place and you see him with a gun, You can not do a thing until he actually breaks the law by shooting.
If you just shoot him , You will be the one in trouble.
Even the Police can do nothing except try to detain him if he did not break the law.
???????????????
Ronnie
I MISS MISTER "SHARK"

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was told a few times over the years that if a person walks into a building, be it a mall, store, school or any place and you see him with a gun, You can not do a thing until he actually breaks the law by shooting.
Even the Police can do nothing except try to detain him if he did not break the law.
???????????????
Ronnie
I MISS MISTER "SHARK"
I reasonably believed my life was in immediate danger and I thought I was going to die

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56,683 Posts
???????????????
Ronnie
I MISS MISTER "SHARK"
You were told wrong, schools are a no gun zone, unless he's wearing a police uniform or otherwise had observable creds like a badge on his belt. Of course you may intercede, perhaps not drawing on the armed unknown but challenging their presence in a school with a visible gun is fully allowed. But of course, very few of us would be in a position to be in a school to observe that anyway, so it's rather moot.

Mall, store, not so much.

·
Registered
56,683 Posts
I reasonably believed my life was in immediate danger and I thought I was going to die

If you run toward gun fire, you're life wasn't in imminent danger when the fray began. If you run toward fire, you've become a "player" interjecting yourself into the scenario. Might still be able to claim deadly force use in SD at some juncture, but it's not a 100% pass claiming that after you've become a willing participant.

Me, I'm programmed to run to gunfire due to the nature of my professional career. But I also assume all risks and potential liability doing that, I know that going into it and becoming a "player" in the scenario and not just an innocent potential victim.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you run toward gun fire, you're life wasn't in imminent danger when the fray began. If you run toward fire, you've become a "player" interjecting yourself into the scenario. Might still be able to claim deadly force use in SD at some juncture, but it's not a 100% pass claiming that after you've become a willing participant.

Me, I'm programmed to run to gunfire due to the nature of my professional career. But I also assume all risks and potential liability doing that, I know that going into it and becoming a "player" in the scenario and not just an innocent potential victim.
Unless my wife or mother (97 yrs old) were in the direction of the gun fire, I am getting out of there as fast as possible. I would not become a player

·
Registered
56,683 Posts
Unless my wife or mother (97 yrs old) were in the direction of the gun fire, I am getting out of there as fast as possible. I would not become a player

I'm going to likely be a player. I know the risks, but it was my responsibility to save lives far too long to not interject myself into a scenario that didn't involve me initially. There are exceptions of course, based on location, how many people are in the vicinity, etc. I may exit stage left just easily. Depends on circumstances, but I'm not someone who won't engage under any circumstances or just for family that may be in the line of fire.

I'd hope someone like me would step up to the plate and engage if my mother, sister, nieces were in the same scenario. How likely is that to happen? Who knows

·
Registered
9,853 Posts
I'm going to likely be a player. I know the risks, but it was my responsibility to save lives far too long to not interject myself into a scenario that didn't involve me initially. There are exceptions of course, based on location, how many people are in the vicinity, etc. I may exit stage left just easily. Depends on circumstances, but I'm not someone who won't engage under any circumstances or just for family that may be in the line of fire.

I'd hope someone like me would step up to the plate and engage if my mother, sister, nieces were in the same scenario. How likely is that to happen? Who knows
Same here. I‘m just not wired to leave other innocents to die, or be seriously injured; if there’s any way that I can make a difference.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Same here. I‘m just not wired to leave other innocents to die, or be seriously injured; if there’s any way that I can make a difference.
I am. (Caveat: In most cases.)
They've had plenty of time and notice to seek out some means of self-defense.
Not my job. Not the police's job either.

·
Registered
56,683 Posts
There are those who will always need protecting.

kids, women, disabled etc.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
There are those who will always need protecting.

kids, women, disabled etc.
Quick question Mr. Brownie - Is it true that If you see a Forceable Felony you can intervene with lethal force [ To 'Act in the Shoes' of those being Attacked / Robbed / Raped etc. ?

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Just for my clarification , Who might be the ones Not in 'Most Cases' ? :unsure: Thanks 'G'

·
Registered
56,683 Posts
Quick question Mr. Brownie - Is it true that If you see a Forceable Felony you can intervene with lethal force [ To 'Act in the Shoes' of those being Attacked / Robbed / Raped etc. ?
Cant answer that with any authority, I just don't know. I know what I'd likely do, and have done so before.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Just for my clarification , Who might be the ones Not in 'Most Cases' ? :unsure: Thanks 'G'
Brownie is right, of course.
There will always be kids, women, disabled who need protection.
(Although.... I have met some women and disabled people who would argue otherwise!!) :)

The only real thought to express here is that I fundamentally do not believe is my job or my obligation to protect other people ESPECIALLY if they are able to protect themselves were it not for their belief systems.

You want to be anti-gun? Fine.
There can be consequences to that decision. Don't blame me for your decision.

That's all I'm saying, really.
We live in a sometimes evil, hostile world. The least one can do is prepare a little, outside of dialing "911".
Prepare somehow. It is not difficult.

But when it comes to firearms, that kind of protection is for me and mine, against immediate threats only.
Outside that group, you'd be staring down pretty some slim odds for me to get involved.

·
Registered
56,683 Posts
(Although.... I have met some women and disabled people who would argue otherwise!!) :)

The only real thought to express here is that I fundamentally do not believe is my job or my obligation to protect other people ESPECIALLY if they are able to protect themselves were it not for their belief systems.

We live in a sometimes evil, hostile world. The least one can do is prepare a little, outside of dialing "911".

But when it comes to firearms, that kind of protection is for me and mine, against immediate threats only.
Outside that group, you'd be staring down pretty some slim odds for me to get involved.
I understand the mentality, I do. In my own case, I've likely got more training than the leo's that will be arriving. I'm not going to rush to it, but I'm going to make my way to it, and tactically, as the situation dictates.

I'd want someone with some training to step up if it was one of my relatives that was in peril. I wouldn't want some bozo who thinks he knows what he's doing to move on a shooter however. Then again, there's plenty of bozo leo's who might not be any more reliable under pressure.

I've intervened in a knife attack on another, taken a pistol away from a felon about to point a pistol at a dep sheriff who wouldn't have seen it until too late, and several physical altercations that were either two on one or more/there was a huge disparity of force. Of course that was long before the wokeness we suffer in this country today.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts

Did you say "Do you want to be Anti Gun " , To Me ? Or In General . Because I Would NEVER BE ANTI GUN IN MY LIFE . Especially with the SIZE and Variations of my Entire Collection ! Maybe I read You Wrong , If So My Bad 'G'

1 - 20 of 28 Posts