Florida Concealed Carry banner

I've got GAS! Mantis X10 Elite.

1K views 32 replies 8 participants last post by  2411 
#1 ·
Gear Acquisition Syndrome!

My proclivity for collecting gun gizmos continues unabated.

I've got a Mantis X10 Elite on the way.

It can be used in dry fire and live fire. Basically an electronic gyro that detects movements that can help diagnose (and presumably correct) grip and trigger press issues.

I think it will be fun, and it will be interesting to see how / if it works. Lots of good reviews out there.

#3 ·
I believe that's the system advertised in several Active Self Protection videos. Looking forward to your AAR. 🤠

#6 ·
I'm genuinely curious as to whether this will help your skills improve or not. I can certainly see the value in gathering data and assessing it with an aim to improve it, but I don't know if will actually improve your aim, so to speak. Good luck with it, Racer, and I hope it does what you want it to do.

#14 ·
We have their display and sell them. Haven't sold one in over a year. I'd have told the owner not to bother but it was their choice. The display sits in a conspicuous place on one of the pistol counters. I think two people have even asked about it.

Is this system something you think will solve your flinch? It won't.

Try this, place a dime on the slide. Dry fire the handgun without moving the dime. Not without it falling off but it moving at all from it's resting position. It's going to do the same thing but it'll only cost you a dime. (y)

#15 ·
Is this system something you think will solve your flinch? It won't.
Didn't say it would SOLVE that particular problem... or any problem. It's a diagnostic tool. It will show me, in very objective terms, what I am doing. It's up to me to solve it, eh?

I'm also doing some other things to work on it.

#16 ·
Try this, place a dime on the slide. Dry fire the handgun without moving the dime. Not without it falling off but it moving at all from it's resting position. It's going to do the same thing but it'll only cost you a dime. (y)
Yes... familiar with that drill. I don't have the issue with dry fire. Only live fire. Some days more than others. Also, after I've shot a bunch and get fatigued.

Nevertheless... on any given day at the range... looking at all the targets by other shooters... I'm shooting better, MUCH better, than 95% of them. And, I'm being generous with the 5%... to THEM. LOL!

#17 ·
Yes... familiar with that drill. I don't have the issue with dry fire. Only live fire. Some days more than others. Also, after I've shot a bunch and get fatigued.
So it's the anticipation of the recoil. Stop trying to push the bullet out of the barrel, it's not going to get to the target any faster ;)

And lock those elbows, one can't push any further when they've been locked. One could still push their shooting side shoulder and still have it happen with locked elbows.

2 hours or less to correct the recurring issues. Somebody else may only take an hour. I was taught many times by being Bit** slapped to stop errant behaviour to the point I was more concerned about that than the guns recoil :LOL:

#18 · (Edited)
Happy birthday to meeeeee! This thing is pretty slick.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Gas

I do pretty well with dry fire. It's live fire that gets me all discombobulated. That's where the demons really show up. So, let's see how this thing does tomorrow with live fire!

#19 ·
This is so cool!

You set up an online account, and it saves all your stuff for easy viewing and analysis. Yeah, yeah.... Big Brother and all that. I choose my battles. If someone can make something out of my dry fire practice, good luck with that.

I'm a "data-driven" kinda guy (if you guys hadn't figured that out, yet!) with my hobbies.
Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel

#22 ·
Will be trying it with live fire tomorrow. I think it will be more interesting, since live fire is when my flinch, trigger press, and grip demons really show up.

Reactions: 7.62Kolectr
#21 ·
This is some cool sh*t. I just made this video. You can hit the "Play" button on each shot to watch your movements: BEFORE the shot, AS the shot breaks, and AFTER the shot breaks.

#23 ·
Colorfulness Font Circle Science Screenshot

Tomorrow I'll try it with live fire. Pretty sure the scores won't be as high!

#24 ·
Tried it with the SIRT laser pistol. Worked perfectly. Though I don't "shoot" as well with it... yet.
Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

#25 ·
Better!
Communication Device Mobile phone Tool Telephony Portable communications device

#26 ·
Here's what I've learned / confirmed, so far: It's ALL about the trigger press.

When it comes to shrinking the group, it's about trigger press. The more slowly I press into the "break," the more precise I shoot. I've been pressing the trigger too hard / violently. And I'm tellin' ya... it's a SUBTLE difference. It's not like I've been slamming the trigger. But I'm discovering it's more of a finesse thing.

Leaving to the range for live fire in about 30 minutes!

#30 · (Edited)
Update on playing with the Mantis X system.

On my gun builders forum, someone asked me to try it with a bench rest to see if I could (theoretically) score "100."

OK... not 100%, because there is still some movement possible on this bench rest, and this tool is very sensitive.
Air gun Trigger Automotive tire Wood Machine gun

Average score on bench rest was 99.4. Best shot was 99.9.
Font Rectangle Parallel Slope Circle

For comparison... dry fire offhand session:
Colorfulness Font Slope Parallel Rectangle

And a live fire group from yesterday. This is for the bottom group on the target.
Font Line Terrestrial plant Pattern Circle

Reactions: BeerHunter
#31 ·
Here's the Mantis X analysis of the first (center) group. Note the low-left first shot correlation.
Human body Organism Font Slope Terrestrial plant

#32 · (Edited)
#33 · (Edited)
What is this sorcery?!??
Colorfulness Font Screenshot Technology Parallel

Mantis sensor mounted on mag floor plate to allow holstering:
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.