Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
16,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gear Acquisition Syndrome!

My proclivity for collecting gun gizmos continues unabated.

I've got a Mantis X10 Elite on the way.

It can be used in dry fire and live fire. Basically an electronic gyro that detects movements that can help diagnose (and presumably correct) grip and trigger press issues.

I think it will be fun, and it will be interesting to see how / if it works. Lots of good reviews out there.

· Administrator
32,659 Posts
Gear Acquisition Syndrome!

My proclivity for collecting gun gizmos continues unabated.

I've got a Mantis X10 Elite on the way.

It can be used in dry fire and live fire. Basically an electronic gyro that detects movements that can help diagnose (and presumably correct) grip and trigger press issues.

I think it will be fun, and it will be interesting to see how / if it works. Lots of good reviews out there.
I believe that's the system advertised in several Active Self Protection videos. Looking forward to your AAR. 🤠

· Registered
16,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Same here…. Pretty hefty price tag if it doesn’t work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I spent more than that on my SIRT (laser) pistol.

Another way to look at it: It cost less than a case of ammo. I can go through a whole case of ammo, and my skills haven't (necessarily) improved... and I've got nothing left but empty brass on the floor. :) Ask me how I know! LOL!

· Registered
5,157 Posts
I'm genuinely curious as to whether this will help your skills improve or not. I can certainly see the value in gathering data and assessing it with an aim to improve it, but I don't know if will actually improve your aim, so to speak. Good luck with it, Racer, and I hope it does what you want it to do.

· Registered
5,064 Posts
I'm genuinely curious as to whether this will help your skills improve or not. I can certainly see the value in gathering data and assessing it with an aim to improve it, but I don't know if will actually improve your aim, so to speak. Good luck with it, Racer, and I hope it does what you want it to do.
I too am curious.
Racer is already an excellent shot.
I suspect (a little) that his innate ability to shoot will exceed the measurement resolution of this product??

· Registered
16,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I too am curious.
Racer is already an excellent shot.
I suspect (a little) that his innate ability to shoot will exceed the measurement resolution of this product??
I have a TON of room for improvement, IMO. That low-left demon haunts me. Also a flinch (gun dives down anticipating recoil) afflicts me, especially as I fatigue further into a range session.

· Registered
57,732 Posts
I have a TON of room for improvement, IMO. That low-left demon haunts me. Also a flinch (gun dives down anticipating recoil) afflicts me, especially as I fatigue further into a range session.
Just learn to get into the bubble. Anticipating recoil wasn't an issue for you in the course of fire. Ya know why? I didn't give you the time to anticipate the recoil for most of the weekend.

· Registered
16,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just learn to get into the bubble. Anticipating recoil wasn't an issue for you in the course of fire. Ya know why? I didn't give you the time to anticipate the recoil for most of the weekend.
Absolutely. Even now, at the range, when I practice rapid instinctive fire, there's no flinch or low-left issue.

And with slow sighted fire, I notice that the longer I pause before breaking the shot, the more likely I am to push the shot low or low-left.

· Registered
676 Posts
Absolutely. Even now, at the range, when I practice rapid instinctive fire, there's no flinch or low-left issue.

And with slow sighted fire, I notice that the longer I pause before breaking the shot, the more likely I am to push the shot low or low-left.
That same demon haunts me as well. I've also found the same to be true.

· Registered
57,732 Posts

Bolded underlined==== Get your head out of your arse and into that bubble I mentioned ;)

Maybe playing the KIM games would help you get into it, or at least diminish the issue you are having in slow fire drills. Maybe stand sideways and shoot one handed bullseye style, see if slow fire still brings that push low and left. (y)

Two hours with me, you'd not be having this issue you don't seem to be able to resolve on your own.

· Registered
57,732 Posts
We have their display and sell them. Haven't sold one in over a year. I'd have told the owner not to bother but it was their choice. The display sits in a conspicuous place on one of the pistol counters. I think two people have even asked about it.

Is this system something you think will solve your flinch? It won't.

Try this, place a dime on the slide. Dry fire the handgun without moving the dime. Not without it falling off but it moving at all from it's resting position. It's going to do the same thing but it'll only cost you a dime. (y)

· Registered
16,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is this system something you think will solve your flinch? It won't.
Didn't say it would SOLVE that particular problem... or any problem. It's a diagnostic tool. It will show me, in very objective terms, what I am doing. It's up to me to solve it, eh?

I'm also doing some other things to work on it.

· Registered
16,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Try this, place a dime on the slide. Dry fire the handgun without moving the dime. Not without it falling off but it moving at all from it's resting position. It's going to do the same thing but it'll only cost you a dime. (y)
Yes... familiar with that drill. I don't have the issue with dry fire. Only live fire. Some days more than others. Also, after I've shot a bunch and get fatigued.

Nevertheless... on any given day at the range... looking at all the targets by other shooters... I'm shooting better, MUCH better, than 95% of them. And, I'm being generous with the 5%... to THEM. LOL!

· Registered
57,732 Posts
Yes... familiar with that drill. I don't have the issue with dry fire. Only live fire. Some days more than others. Also, after I've shot a bunch and get fatigued.
So it's the anticipation of the recoil. Stop trying to push the bullet out of the barrel, it's not going to get to the target any faster ;)

And lock those elbows, one can't push any further when they've been locked. One could still push their shooting side shoulder and still have it happen with locked elbows.

2 hours or less to correct the recurring issues. Somebody else may only take an hour. I was taught many times by being Bit** slapped to stop errant behaviour to the point I was more concerned about that than the guns recoil :LOL:

· Registered
16,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Happy birthday to meeeeee! This thing is pretty slick.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Gas

I do pretty well with dry fire. It's live fire that gets me all discombobulated. That's where the demons really show up. So, let's see how this thing does tomorrow with live fire!

· Registered
16,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is so cool!

You set up an online account, and it saves all your stuff for easy viewing and analysis. Yeah, yeah.... Big Brother and all that. I choose my battles. If someone can make something out of my dry fire practice, good luck with that.

I'm a "data-driven" kinda guy (if you guys hadn't figured that out, yet!) with my hobbies.
Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel

· Registered
19,344 Posts
‘Mr Racer it looks like you dry fired it over one million times in two weeks? You honor what we have here is….’ 🤣

Looks pretty cool. How does it work for live fire? Remove the red thing from barrel and thingy on rail stays and tracks things?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts