Florida Concealed Carry banner

I've been waiting for 15 Months for my application to be approved.

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  BeerHunter 
#1 ·
I'll try and make this quick.

We moved to Florida from the Northeast last may. In August of 2018 I applied for the CWP. Previously I had some trouble when I was younger and now have a completely sealed record. The issue I am facing is that the record of my convictions were destroyed as part of the sealing process so the only thing that is available to me is a copy of the sealing order (which I had to unseal in person to get a copy of). I have voluntarily unsealed everything but it is not enough. When they did the NCIS check, they were notified of two arrests. normally the arrests would have been sealed under the order but both states, NV and ID did not seal them. ID has since destroyed the record, but Vegas wont unless I go through their process and pay a bunch and the State says that would not help as I can't reapply as I have not been denied. With all that said, the person I am dealing with at the State here said it does not matter if they are destroyed because they already received the information from the FBI. They are aware of everything and said that they cant approve the application because they can not tie the arrests to the sealing order, as they were sealed years later and there is nothing I can provide other than the sealing order, as nothing exists. He told me yesterday that I am essentially on an indefinite hold because of this.

A similar thing happened when I attempted to join the army several years back. Because I was under the assumption law agencies are able to pull records, I self-disclosed the arrests and convictions, but because the military could not pull anything on my background, they would not let me join as the records did not line up.

I am currently medically licensed (and fingerprinted) in 4 states and have never really encountered this. The State also said they have never encountered my scenario before and the guy who approves it says he is unsure of what to do and has been waiting on a reply from the "legal dept." for quite a while. FDLE was unable to pull anything either so I am really at a loss. What are your thoughts/advice?

See less See more
#3 ·
Welcome to FCC from Palm Beach County, notafan! :wave

As Steve wrote, you'll likely need legal counsel. See below about FloridaCarry.org and you might seek out their lead counsel, Attorney Eric Friday.

Although you've already given some background here, since this was your first Post to FCC, please take the time to post you're own Introduction thread to FCC. You can do that by going to the Introduce Yourself section of The Front Office and start your very own introduction thread. Then you'll find that lots of other FCC members will know to chime in to properly welcome you to the forum, and will be more responsive in answering questions!

In case you weren't aware, you can stay current on pertinent Florida Statutes regarding use of force and firearms law by going right to the source using these links for Chapter 776 - Justifiable Use of Force and Chapter 790 - Weapons and Firearms. I'd also like to suggest you obtain your own copy of FLORIDA FIREARMS Law, Use & Ownership by Jon Gutmacher!

Finally, I would like to recommend you consider joining Florida Carry and join the effort to protect the rights of Floridians to keep and bear arms!

Again, welcome to FCC! :grin

#5 ·
Congrats! Post #3 still applies. :grin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.