Florida Concealed Carry banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
54,302 Posts
Interesting hypothetical scenario, trading a cut not having to shoot someone [ using deadly force ]. I use the term shooting them instead of killing them, because one never knows whether shooting someone will result in their growing cold forever.

As a person whose been stabbed twice, both resulting in no major damage [ in large part due to MY training ] one needs to understand there's a difference between being slashed and being stabbed. Slashing may result in a superficial wound and a scar, while stabbing someone may result in organs being damaged, not just a scar.

If I read the scenario correctly, am I willing to receive physical damage [ has to be damage to leave a scar ] to not have to use deadly force. If that's the premise, in the two instances a blade entered my body, I didn't resort to deadly force. Their fate was worse than had I shot them. Why? Because I used physical violence against them with prejudice in retaliation for their indiscretion/s.

If I turn this around and make it a baseball bat that would result in no broken bones for my leniency, no I wasn't lenient in my response so I'd be unlikely to alter that for this knife scenario. My response ended up putting the turd in a coma for several weeks after I'd mounted him and repeatedly pounded his head into the tarmac till a pool of blood appeared under his head. I repeated the pounding long past the time he passed out. Why? Because of the adrenaline dump, but more likely simply because he pissed me off trying to take me out with the bat.

Can I see a scenario where I'm cut superficially and then the threat ends before I can access my firearm in a response? Of course. Is that a likely outcome of a knife attack? Absolutely not [ getting superficially cut and then the knife just disappears from his hands and he's no longer an imminent threat ].

IMO, if I'm going to need stitches, they're going to need medical attention as well. What medical attention they may need depends on a lot of variables. It may be in the form of a weapon or just my hands/arms judiciously watching them go to sleep.

I'm willing to take a cut to end an imminent threat, but I'm not willing to take a cut and give the turd a pass. An eye for an eye seems appropriate in this scenario. I'm not prone to violence and would prefer never to have to deal with the ugly side of living ever again. That was a past life, people would be well advised not to bring my past life back from the past and set something in motion where I'm in imminent danger of grave bodily harm or death.

I've got enough scars on my body as it is. If someone wants to give me another one, it's gonna cost them. How much that costs them is unknown, but it's going to cost them. "It's just a knife" is like saying "it's just a gun". Both are deadly weapons.

·
Registered
54,302 Posts
And to those who brought back memories and lessons learned at the FoF course/s, it was a joy to read many members learned valuable lessons in those weekend events that they can apply judiciously if and when necessary. (y)

·
Registered
10,714 Posts
Presidential candidate, Joe Biden, recently said:

"When there's an unarmed person coming at them with a knife or something, you shoot them in the leg."

So, yeah.... bad guy with a knife = "unarmed." So says Sleepy Joe.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Hey Fred!
I, along with several others here, in addition to Beerhunter and Andy, participated in the FoF training. Some of us were able to get plenty of rounds on target during the Tueller and other movement/moving target drills in the live-fire stages of the training. We were also trained to elude a real adversary barehanded, and create the distance necessary to respond, during the FoF afternoons. Same with multiple attackers, my wife being held hostage by Brownie, and quite a bit more.

You missed a good one!
Sadly, I really wanted to attend along with my daughter. Sadly, money has been a factor over the last few years as I find myself shifting professions. As we speak ammo and practice is becoming a concern.

·
Registered
840 Posts
For me, there is no such thing as a small cut. I am on an anticoagulant (blood thinner) for a clotting disorder. Even a small cut could lead to drastic blood loss unless the attack happens at a hospital. At this point, I am more likely to bleed out from a trauma than have a stroke, embolism or heart attack. A knife is a deadly weapon.

·
Super Moderator
5,993 Posts
For me, there is no such thing as a small cut. I am on an anticoagulant (blood thinner) for a clotting disorder. Even a small cut could lead to drastic blood loss unless the attack happens at a hospital. At this point, I am more likely to bleed out from a trauma than have a stroke, embolism or heart attack. A knife is a deadly weapon.
As a diabetic, I have sort of the same issue but not nearly as bad. Even small scraps take a lot longer to heal so even a small cut would be something I would want to avoid.

·
Registered
10,714 Posts
Tell them, "Well... I just shot him with a little bullet, so..."

·
Registered
20,253 Posts
Literally everyone here has missed the entire point of my original post.
Frankly, I'm disappointed about that as I truly thought we had a brighter bunch of folks here -- or, maybe I just did too poor of a job explaining it.

I'll withdraw the scenario (which was NEVER even remotely intended to be anything like "real life"), and just let this thread drift wherever it pleases.

But for those now scratching their heads wondering "WTF?, Did I miss something?...."
The original point was to lay out a scenario (for discussion purposes only) to probe just how far people on the left are willing to put up with social injustices (like ANTIFA, looting, assault, etc...)
When it's the "other guy", it's one set of rhetoric / outcomes. But when it's personal (i.e., a scar), do people change their minds?
Or are that still that dense?

But like I said - I'm done here.
If it's too much trouble to explain it, I guess it wasn't worth talking about it in the first place.
So, my apologies. :)
way to add insult to injury...stick with you did a poor job coming up with a scenario and just as poor job explaining it and your purpose...then keep your politics to yourself...it seems you accomplished your goal...

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
...or, maybe I just did too poor of a job explaining it.
Maybe so.
The original point was... to probe just how far people on the left...
Well, there's your problem. You did not pose the question to "people on the left." Well, other than The Fish, maybe. You got responses from people who are in the middle, or to the right, not on the left. Not sure what other kind of responses you could expect from this particular group.

A lot of people on this forum are pretty bright. But if you ask the wrong question to the wrong group of people, it doesn't really matter how bright they are, you're going to get the wrong answer.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
After what I see the Police Officers are going through by protecting themselves.
I think I will just let the criminal thug kill me.
A whole lot easier then going to a trial.
Ronnie

·
Registered
2,530 Posts

·
Registered
7,869 Posts
And to those who brought back memories and lessons learned at the FoF course/s, it was a joy to read many members learned valuable lessons in those weekend events that they can apply judiciously if and when necessary. (y)
That was a great weekend, and I know you and Rick W. put in a lot of thought and time in developing the “lesson plan” for those two days.

·
Super Moderator
26,332 Posts
Just a knife...
View attachment 68412
Yikes, . . . that's going to leave a mark!

That photo illustrates very well what brownie mentions about slashes from a blade will do and may not kill you, depending on what part of your body is slashed. However, stab wounds to your torso have the potential to do a lot of damage to your vital organs.

Someone ARMED with a blade coming at you is ALWAYS a potential threat to your life and must be dealt with promptly or the threat of violence being perpetrated on you may become a reality. Waiting until the blade touches one's skin is eons too late to decide on how to deal with that threat. As Bob is famous for saying, "it's a time and distance equation and we don't know the coefficients." I've long ago adopted a mindset to avoid, evade, escape to deal with potential threats. However, if the time-distance equation means that's not possible, then I will use whatever method at my disposal to defend myself and mine, or die trying. I cannot live any other way.

·
Registered
20,253 Posts
wtf are we discussing here?...a friggin toothpick can pierce your eye...a 1
' blade can open an artery in multiple places on a body...he didnt get the wrong answer...he got a lot of right answers...just not what he wanted to hear...

·
Super Moderator
26,332 Posts
Well, I have to admit that when I first saw the title of this thread, I thought it might be about this:

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
way to add insult to injury...stick with you did a poor job coming up with a scenario and just as poor job explaining it and your purpose...then keep your politics to yourself...it seems you accomplished your goal...
I'll do as I please, thank you very much.
And thank you for your suggestions.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
wtf are we discussing here?...a friggin toothpick can pierce your eye...a 1
' blade can open an artery in multiple places on a body...he didnt get the wrong answer...he got a lot of right answers...just not what he wanted to hear...
Dude. Chill, OK.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts