Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,350 Posts
I just watched something on TV; does this rise to the level of great bodily harm:

Irate customer throws a container of hot soup into the cashier's face and eyes.
Can you shoot the customer?

BTW: If I were on the jury of such a case, I would almost certainly vote in favor of the cashier.

PS: Adults who behave that way need a serious,long-term incarceration "lesson" told to them.
Three years. Minimum. Even if no lasting damage done.
Video here…(no sound) Backstory…Customer called to complain soup was so hot it melted the plastic lid. Per the employee, she offered multiple avenues to remedy but only asked the customer to refrain from cursing her out. Customer wasn’t happy with that request and showed up in person. Again, employee requested customer to stop with the abusive language while offering remedies. Culminating in the customer tossing soup on employee.

I saw a interview or video from the employee. The soup had cooled fortunately. Still warm though. It’s a spicy soup though. She said it burned her eyes and caused a nosebleed.

If that soup had indeed been hot enough to melt the lid, can you imagine the facial burns she’d have suffered. That’s the kind of burns that can be life changing.
Note..apparently YouTube is restricting the video. You’ll have to click over to the app unless someone knows how to bypass YouTube.

Also of note, reportedly the assailant has been identified. Charges are pending.

·
Registered
6,350 Posts
^^^Unfortunately, if I’m not mistaken, the current charge is a misdemeanor. Carrying 60 days on ice and/or a few thousand in fines.

I don’t know if there’s a civil exposure. But even if so, I read somewhere she’s pretty much a retail employee. Not a lot of meat on that bone for a lawyer to use to help the victim. There was rumor she was a nurse at one point, but that turned out to be a case of mistaken identity. There’s another Amanda Martinez in Temple, TX who is a nurse. Sadly, she is another victim in this weird saga. In a rush to dox and go after the assailant, social media went after the wrong Amanda. Causing a whole boatload of trouble for her reportedly.

·
Registered
6,350 Posts
RadTek

Not every case is about a dollar. Somebody should go after this lady civilly and let her make monthly payments on a judgment that might remind her how she should act in a civilized society. It’s the kind of case some lawyer should take just as a public service.

If it was in Florida, I would take that case just on general principles.
I‘d agree completely she needs to learn some manners. Which is why I brought up civil liability as potentially a “punishment“ she’d respond to more than the slap on the wrist she’s likely to get criminally.

My “meat on the bone” comment wasn’t meant in a derogatory way. If it came across as such, it wasn’t intentional. Only an observation that even if sued, the crockpot likely can’t pay. Unfortunately I have a little experience with civil judgements against a party that simply translates to a worthless piece of paper on file saying you’re owed money. Sadly you can’t squeeze lemonade from a rock. 👍

·
Registered
6,350 Posts
In some ways I think it hurts the offender more if they have to shell out a portion of their earnings rather than having their insurer pay out a lump sum.
That’s what you’re paying for when you pay your premiums. To take the hit when you’re negligent. Or even stupid. Or dumb.

That said, while we gladly cover negligence as a result of stupid or dumb, there’s usually an exclusion for a blatantly intentional act. In fact, it’s basic insurance 101 you learn getting licensed. Depending on policy language, it’s unlikely an insurer would pay in this case. IMHO any exposure is all on that crazy dingbat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts