Florida Concealed Carry banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Bikers splitting lanes while I sat at a red light used to bother me from a "fairness" perspective. But then I realized they are helping with the traffic, since they go to the front and accelerate quickly when the light changes. It actually eases traffic by having less vehicles in the crowd.
But what about my delicate ego? He was behind me and just rode right around me and now he's in front of me sniffle sniffle.

I've rode Harleys for over three decades. Never had one overheat even idling along the log jam Main Street in Daytona during Bike Week. It will discolor the pipes though. I never split lanes for the reasons I'm reading here. People get their egos in a wad, they'll retaliate and hurt people.

·
Banned
11,161 Posts
Here is the problem with "lane splitting". Traffic lanes are generally set up to allow for the presence of a single vehicle in each designated lane. This allows the vehicle to use the entire width of the lane without having to worry about other vehicles. The lane width is usually adjusted for the width of a standard truck or car plus standard mirrors and a small fudge factor. What happens with allowing motorcyclists to arbitrarily establish their own lane, by carving it out of an occupied single marked lane or adjacent marked lanes, is that it defeats the purpose of marked traffic lanes. If two large vehicles, traveling in adjacent marked traffic lanes, move to a position inside their respective lanes , which does not allow room for another vehicle between them, even a motorcycle, a "lane splitter" will cause an accident, thereby producing inconvenience, property damage, injury or even death. The same thing happens if a vehicle moves to use a portion of its established traffic lane and collides with a second vehicle which is also attempting to operate in that single traffic lane. There is simply no reason for more than one vehicle to be allowed to operate side by side in a single traffic lane. It defeats the purpose for creating them.

·
Registered
16,448 Posts
Mac with all due respect lane splitting has been legal in Californa, one of the most restrictive states in the country, for decades and it works fine. There are no statistics showing it to create accidents or hazards. If there were KommiFornia would most certainly have passed laws against it instead of for it.

·
Banned
11,161 Posts
Mac with all due respect lane splitting has been legal in Californa, one of the most restrictive states in the country, for decades and it works fine. There are no statistics showing it to create accidents or hazards. If there were KommiFornia would most certainly have passed laws against it instead of for it.
Of course it is safe. That why 49 other states don't allow it. We all know how reliable any decision made by the California Assembly is.

·
Registered
16,448 Posts
Of course it is safe. That why 49 other states don't allow it. We all know how reliable any decision made by the California Assembly is.
I speak about 1 and you redirect and mention 49?
The 1 I speak of has zero statistics showing its dangerous.
I don't care about the other 49.
The only 1 we are talking about has no problem with it.

·
Super Moderator
5,066 Posts
Yes, legal in Cali... should be elsewhere

·
Registered
48 Posts
The "safety Nazis" don't give a **** about safety. Their little pussies are in a wad because somebody is getting in front of them. The fact that it is legal REALLY hurts their wad.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
The "safety Nazis" don't give a **** about safety. Their little pussies are in a wad because somebody is getting in front of them. The fact that it is legal REALLY hurts their wad.
Our cats won't ride in the car with us. They just can't believe what goes on in traffic. Passing to the right, lane splitting... But you're right.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
How about the several other entire COUNTRIES where it is legal, and the supporting data from them (aka nothing negative) to say there's only benefits? It's funny to think some people actually believe the USA is the end-all-be-all of law making and opinions.

You know the reason 49 other states haven't legalized it? 'Cause barring all empirical evidence that it is safe, they are too scared to even TRY it, and they get the panties in a bunch when they think about someone making it to their destination faster than themselves.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
I have ridden Harleys for decades and never lane split because I just don't trust the other drivers. However, I have on many occasions done the shoulder thing when coming up to miles of stopped traffic. Maybe the Harley doesn't overheat but my legs certainly start to burn if I sit at idle for a lengthy amount of time so I do the shoulder maneuver and 1st street exit routine. Never been stopped. Whether Fl legalizes lane splitting or not I still will not split due to lack of trust of other drivers.

·
Banned
11,161 Posts
How about the several other entire COUNTRIES where it is legal, and the supporting data from them (aka nothing negative) to say there's only benefits? It's funny to think some people actually believe the USA is the end-all-be-all of law making and opinions.

You know the reason 49 other states haven't legalized it? 'Cause barring all empirical evidence that it is safe, they are too scared to even TRY it, and they get the panties in a bunch when they think about someone making it to their destination faster than themselves.
What about it? Some countries assign the right-of-way, at an intersection, to whichever vehicle blows its horn first. Look, because something is allowed, does not make it a good idea. Let me give you a couple of examples.

Traffic is stopped. A motorcyclist is riding between the lanes of stopped traffic. A motorist spills hot coffee in his lap. He opens the driver's door to step out to mop the coffee off of his lap. The motorcyclist crashes into the open door and possibly even strikes the driver as he begins to exit the vehicle. Who is at fault? The motorcyclist. Why, because the motorist is operating legal within his assigned lane. There is no regulation prohibiting him from opening his door and exiting while stopped, as long as he does interfere with traffic in another assigned lane. What the motorcyclist did is tantamount to simply running into the back of the stopped vehicle.

Now, two vehicles are traveling side-by-side in adjacent individually marked lanes. By law, they are entitled to use the entire width of that lane for their travel. A motorcyclist is overtaking them by traveling between the two vehicles. The two vehicles move closer to the line separating their lanes and squash the motorcyclist like a bug. Who is at fault? The motorcyclist.

All human interactions require rules. This is so that people will know what to do in a given situation and what they can expect in a given situation. Traffic rules are no exception. They are usually developed and enacted to provide the greatest degree of security for people who are operating motor vehicles or interacting with those who are. If people wish to allow motorcycles to bypass other traffic, then specific lanes should be provided for them, as they are for bicycles and pedestrians. That way everyone knows what to expect.

·
Banned
11,161 Posts
I speak about 1 and you redirect and mention 49?
The 1 I speak of has zero statistics showing its dangerous.
I don't care about the other 49.
The only 1 we are talking about has no problem with it.
Actually, the motorcycle accident rate has gone up in the last few years, in Claifornia. And the CHP has issued rules or guidelines on the practice of lane splitting. If there were no negative results, it is unlikely that such guidelines would be issued. Traffic management professionals know that this practice is potentially very dangerous. This is one of the reasons why it is only legal in California, the Cereal State.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I wouldn't think so but couldn't swear to never doing it but didn't make a habit of it as it is dangerous.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Traffic is stopped. A motorcyclist is riding between the lanes of stopped traffic. A motorist spills hot coffee in his lap. He opens the driver's door to step out to mop the coffee off of his lap. The motorcyclist crashes into the open door and possibly even strikes the driver as he begins to exit the vehicle. Who is at fault? The motorcyclist. Why, because the motorist is operating legal within his assigned lane. There is no regulation prohibiting him from opening his door and exiting while stopped, as long as he does interfere with traffic in another assigned lane. What the motorcyclist did is tantamount to simply running into the back of the stopped vehicle.
That's a great example, also it is a rare one and not one to cry about or get the panties in a twist over. If you're going to OPEN YOUR DOOR in traffic, hot coffee or not, you should be checking your mirrors regardless. I'd put the blame at 50/50. Dumbass driver and his hot coffee in an unsecured container (just a recipe for disaster to be quite frank) and the cyclist for not going slow enough to stop in time.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts