Florida Concealed Carry banner
81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
14,832 Posts
I'm sure a zealous prosecutor would characterize a "Hello Kitty" themed gun as a crass and cavalier disregard for the serious nature of firearms. You can't win for losin'. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Which would have zero bearing on your right to self defense.

·
Registered
15,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm spoiled. I always do after market triggers, because stock triggers never have as clean a break or as smooth a squeeze. I also prefer my triggers at 4-5 lbs, regardless if it's a long gun or not. For pistols, I will always make sure I have sights that are easy to pickup in the dark.

Other than that, I don't put any kind of 'funny' sayings or stickers, for two reasons:
1) my guns aren't toys.
2) Prosecutors don't have senses of humor. Heck, make that lawyers in general, if civil litigation is involved.

I'd rather poke a bear with a short stick than chum the waters for those two legged sharks.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
When you shoot somebody, everyone seems to lose their sense of humor, eh?
Well, yeah.
But it depends a little on where you shoot them.

I had another thought re: that Hello Kitty gun.
"The man" went after the vape industry because many of their products had names that sounded a lot like (and in many cases identical to) candy or sweets.
Nevermind that vape supplies are only sold to legal-age adults.

You can see the obvious parallels with firearms.
What if a child got a hold of that Hello Kitty gun and shot somebody?
Do you think the embellishment would be allowed as evidence then?

·
Registered
9,032 Posts
All joking aside, but with onset of arthritis after smashing my trigger finger with a sledge hammer in a work injury I did install a Timney trigger in my carry gun just for practice purposes more than self defense. My others I have also started to as well just because it gets too painful to shoot after a while.

This getting old stuff is not not what its cracked up be.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
You can see the obvious parallels with firearms.
What if a child got a hold of that Hello Kitty gun and shot somebody?
Do you think the embellishment would be allowed as evidence then?
The vape people threw the biggest hissy fit ever when the regime came for them. Ironically a lot of vape people are progressives - they are all about government intervention until it affects something they like. I trolled a bit and said "first time?" on some of their groups on FB. Got banned, of course.

Anyways, while I get a kick out of it when people do Hello Kitty or Nintendo GLOCKs, I cringe a little since it feels like a "the prosecution will love it" case if one of those guns is misused by a child in any way. Daddy has a vintage NES and likes to play Duck Hunt - also has a GLOCK that looks like the Zapper. Kid doesn't know the difference and gets ahold of the GLOCK, and bam!

Free expression all the way, but make damn sure the people in the house know the difference between a NES light gun and the stylized GLOCK.

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
I limit my customizations to swapping out grips/scales when possible.

Though that 1911 barrel bushing that said "Smile, wait for Flash" always amuses me

·
Registered
14,832 Posts
Let me make this perfectly clear. Mods to a gun mean nothing in court. Will the prosecutor try to make it a thing? Yes. Does it really matter? Not in the least. A good Defensive shooting expert witness will identify the importance of justifiable use of deadly force. It is either justifiable or not. The weapon or mods will have zero to do with the outcome. We have 5 difference case precedence cases to prove it.
Will it make the case more complicated? Maybe.

Reactions: BeerHunter

·
Registered
908 Posts
Let me make this perfectly clear. Mods to a gun mean nothing in court. Will the prosecutor try to make it a thing? Yes. Does it really matter? Not in the least. A good Defensive shooting expert witness will identify the importance of justifiable use of deadly force. It is either justifiable or not. The weapon or mods will have zero to do with the outcome. We have 5 difference case precedence cases to prove it.
Will it make the case more complicated? Maybe.
The bolded part answers the original question nicely.

The third sentence in your post contradicts the second.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I think some of the bolder mod statements on a firearm like the ..."Smile when you see the flash" might be used to try to influence the jury that your personality is that of a bada_ _ and have no compassion for human life. Sadly, I think it might actually accomplish that with some people.

Reactions: mike1956

·
Registered
15,802 Posts
Camel bone grips with Eagle Globe And Anchor inserts on my Wilson is as far as I go

Reactions: Rick McC.

·
Registered
14,832 Posts
The bolded part answers the original question nicely.

The third sentence in your post contradicts the second.
Not really. All murder cases are complicated. One has nothing to do with the other.

·
Registered
14,832 Posts
When attorneys bill by the hour, additional complications result in additional legal fees.
There really is no additional complication. In all murder trials, an affirmative defense has to be mounted. That affirmative defense, if it is in fact self defense must prove that the use of deadly force was justified. The gun is nothing but a misdirection. Just as a type of knife used in a knife death or a bludgeon in a bludgeon death.
In almost every single gun self defense case, an expert gun witness is called by both the defense and the prosecutor.
there really is no additionalmoney involved. It will be the exact same money no matter what the gun looks like.

81 - 100 of 101 Posts