Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used Internet auctions to buy their weapon? What were your experiences? Suggestions, comments, things to watch for?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I've purchased several guns through Gunbroker. I've had very good luck with it. The thing is to look at the seller's feedback, just like on eBay. I wouldn't buy from someone with little or no feedback as a seller, or from someone who has any significant negative feedback.

·
Super Moderator
3,105 Posts
I have used Gunbroker several times without any problems. It is a good idea to look at the seller's history. You want to look at his "rating" and you want to read his "feedback." You also want to take a look at the number of transactions, so you can get an idea if he has been around a while and has developed a good track record.

If you do bid and win or just decide to "Buy Now" you can also exchange phone numbers and give him a call and see how you feel after speaking with the person.

Ask questions and check if they are offering an inspection/return period so that if you are not happy, you can return the product.

You will pay by US Postal Money Order which has the person's name on it. If there is any deception or theft, it is a very serious offense. Usually if you see someone with a great rating with lot's of positive feedback, you can get a pretty good idea about the type of person you are dealing with, and buy with a degree of confidence.

If your gut tells you they are flaky and they have several bad feedback postings, pass and move on to the next deal.

Good luck!

·
Registered
11,197 Posts
I've had no problem with several purchases through Gunbroker, but only one of them was a gun. My observation has been that after shipping and transfer fees, you don't always save that much on a lot of current production guns vs. if you bought it locally. I mostly use auction sites to look for hard-to-find, out of production stuff.

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
Theres an HK .308 rifle going for over $13 thousand with 5 bids and the reserve is not met yet. thats crazy.
Just an example of some people having more money than they really need .... :doh

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
I've bought one off of Gunbroker and Auction Arms. Byt the time I paid transfer fees, shipping, and the background check, I basically broke even.

·
Super Moderator
3,105 Posts
I've bought one off of Gunbroker and Auction Arms. Byt the time I paid transfer fees, shipping, and the background check, I basically broke even.
Greetings Red! I agree. Once you factor in those fees, it usually is about the same in price.

I also like to support the local gun shops if their prices are competitive. There are fewer and fewer gun shops and ranges available, and it's important in my opinion to support these businesses so that we will not lose them and the services they provide.

I am a collector of Colt revolvers, so I have no choice but to seek out the items i wish to purchase on Gunbroker, as these are rarely, if ever found on sale at my local shops.

·
Registered
974 Posts
When I went to purchase my Springfield Armory .40 XD, the local shops were charging over $550, tax not included. Vanceoutdoors.com had it for $400 and about $40 for shipping. Budsgunshop.com had it for $439 shipping included.

Tack on another $30 for transfer free and background check and I still saved about $100. I didn't pay tax on the Internet sale. I would have had to if I purchased it locally.

·
Registered
196 Posts
When I went to purchase my Springfield Armory .40 XD, the local shops were charging over $550, tax not included. Vanceoutdoors.com had it for $400 and about $40 for shipping. Budsgunshop.com had it for $439 shipping included.

Tack on another $30 for transfer free and background check and I still saved about $100. I didn't pay tax on the Internet sale. I would have had to if I purchased it locally.
Service went down hill at Bud's. Their reason for not returning phone calls and e-mails is I'm to busy and understaffed. The problem is still unresolved. This was August 08 so it's pretty recent.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Sometimes on-line prices are significantly better, sometimes not. The other issue is availability. I want what I want, not what the local shops think I might want. For example, if I want a black rifle other than an AR, there's a good chance I won't find it locally. I always check my local dealers first, but I still end up making most of my purchases on-line.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Sometimes on-line prices are significantly better, sometimes not. The other issue is availability. I want what I want, not what the local shops think I might want. For example, if I want a black rifle other than an AR, there's a good chance I won't find it locally. I always check my local dealers first, but I still end up making most of my purchases on-line.
Any particular favorite for your online deals?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
This is the kind of info I was looking for! It's waaay too early this morning for me to start having ideas but I posted in the Feedback, Concerns, Questions, Suggestions area about compiling a business directory. We have first-hand knowledge of how people get treated at the local gun shops and ranges. Why not provide a handy reference for everyone? I have no clue about maintaining a website/bulletin board but I would be willing to assist somehow.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Just tried to go to Budsgunshop.com

I just tried to go budsgunshop.com and the site is down or something, i couldn't get to it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts