Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not sure if this is a repost, but it looks like the latest CWL application statistics for 2008 are up on DOA's site:
http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/stats/cw_app_dist.html

September: 22,249
October: 30,035
November: 42,895
December: 32,326

I imagine it will take quite some time to go through all the applications submitted in November. Hopefully they've thrown some additional manpower at getting it done faster, which could mean good news for those of us who applied in December and January.

What do you guys think about these stats?

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
If folks are wondering why it's taking so long to process apps, look at the numbers for LAST year:

Sept: 14,621
Oct: 15,599
Nov: 15,806
Dec: 17,613

The Nov '08 count is nearly triple of the Nov '07 count. The numbers from '06 and '07 are pretty much the same, but there was a tremendous increase in '08.

Sept. '05 is quirky, though...37,846? Did some major legislation pass at that time?

-JT

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I am feeling good about these stats. I am sure that the folks processing the December application are feeling some relief also. The difference is is around 10,000 less applications to process from Nov to Dec.

I am not 100% sure, but, They probably are processing applications on a 90 day schedule and have already issued licenses to the folks that sent in applications on or around Nov 09th

·
Super Moderator
10,783 Posts
Kind of strange how applications received constantly exceed applications distributed.
The difference seems to be about 1.5%. If that represents the rejection rate, I'm surprised it isn't somewhat higher.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm, this is weird. The stats I linked to are about how many applications the Divison of Licensing actually sent out. How many licenses were issued is another matter:
http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/stats/cw_monthly.html

66,645 licenses were issued in all of 2008. That's roughly 5500 per month if you assume that the same amount were applied for each month (probably not). My guess is that a very large amount of people just order the packets but don't follow through with it. Lots of these are probably being sent to gun ranges, too, who order a large amount of packets for their CWL classes.

·
Super Moderator
10,783 Posts
It looks as if I was misreading too. Only 5500 per month on average? Surprisingly low.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
approximately 300 apps a day over a 12 week period from my calculations. 52% are renewals which probably take a shorter amount of time to process.

I think most time is spent opening the application packet and checking the data into the system. the rest is a "cookie cutter" process with time frames.

·
Super Moderator
10,783 Posts
300 per day is roughly 9000 per month. That doesn't square with SSS's figure of 5500 average. Or is that what it's jumped to in recent months?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you go by applications received, it comes out to 67343 for all of 2008. 184 applications per day on average.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
300 per day is roughly 9000 per month. That doesn't square with SSS's figure of 5500 average. Or is that what it's jumped to in recent months?
Here is how I based my calculations

2008-2009 Applications received: New: 40,543 Renewal: 26,800 Total: 67,343 / 12 months = 5612 a month / 4 weeks = 1403 /5 days per week = 281 a day

I just rounded it off the the nearest 100 to get to approx 300 to allow for days off during the week for holidays

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
If you go by applications received, it comes out to 67343 for all of 2008. 184 applications per day on average.
If they work 365 days a year then your number is correct. I believe the DOA is opened M -F.

35 apps an the hour if you count my calculations. If we have 10 folks processing applications then 3 apps each an hour or 1 app every 20 minutes.

Can you tell I have no life :D

·
Super Moderator
19,792 Posts
If folks are wondering why it's taking so long to process apps, look at the numbers for LAST year:

Sept: 14,621
Oct: 15,599
Nov: 15,806
Dec: 17,613

The Nov '08 count is nearly triple of the Nov '07 count. The numbers from '06 and '07 are pretty much the same, but there was a tremendous increase in '08.

Sept. '05 is quirky, though...37,846? Did some major legislation pass at that time?

-JT
That's when The Protection of Persons and Property Bill (SB436) was signed (Castle Doctrine/Stand Your Ground). It went into effect 10/1/2005.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If they work 365 days a year then your number is correct. I believe the DOA is opened M -F.

35 apps an the hour if you count my calculations. If we have 10 folks processing applications then 3 apps each an hour or 1 app every 20 minutes.

Can you tell I have no life :D
Oh crap, you've got me there. I didn't think at all about the weekends. Good catch!

·
Super Moderator
10,783 Posts
I think I follow it all now. Those statistics concerning applications sent were confusing. I'm not sure why anyone would be particularly concerned with applications sent out. Clearly the number actually submitted is a small fraction of the number sent out.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ideally, the state should release figures on how many licenses are processed every month. Judging by the applications sent though, December's processing probably won't be near as bad as November.

·
Super Moderator
5,067 Posts

Can you tell I have no life
:D
Or you are an engineer!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
1 - 20 of 39 Posts