Florida Concealed Carry banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I thought that 10mm and .40 S&W used the same bullet diameter as the old Winchester 38-40 caliber; .401”.
‘Probably so, Rick. Just the math, 10/2.54. Designations are nominal?(y)

·
Super Moderator
32,243 Posts
Would be the first time "Caliber" and diameter of the projectile didn't quite equate mathematically. :unsure:

·
Registered
383 Posts
This doesn't make sense:
“When it comes to multiple injuries, there’s no real case that says more bullet holes in more places cause more bleeding."

I'm not subscribing to this:
"They all agreed that, from a medical perspective, there was no noticeable or real-world difference between .380 ACP, .38 Special, .357 Magnum and 40-caliber."
A 380 FMJ makes a wound that a medical professional can't discern the difference than if it was a 357 Mag 125 JHP @ 1,450 fps or a 40 HST that expanded to .70 - I'm not buying that.

My hypothesis:
Most patients they see are hit with FMJ
It should be easy to discern the difference in a .70 hole (40 HST) and a .355 hole (380 FMJ) IF one was focused on documenting differences in wound damage, but odds are they are focused on repairing the damage.

I'm no doctor but I can look at this hole and hypothesize it was not made by 380 FMJ.
Food Plant Ingredient Fruit Cuisine

That hole was made by a 10mm 155 XTP ;)

·
Registered
57,051 Posts
This doesn't make sense:
“When it comes to multiple injuries, there’s no real case that says more bullet holes in more places cause more bleeding."

I'm not subscribing to this:
"They all agreed that, from a medical perspective, there was no noticeable or real-world difference between .380 ACP, .38 Special, .357 Magnum and 40-caliber."
A 380 FMJ makes a wound that a medical professional can't discern the difference than if it was a 357 Mag 125 JHP @ 1,450 fps or a 40 HST that expanded to .70 - I'm not buying that.

My hypothesis:
Most patients they see are hit with FMJ
It should be easy to discern the difference in a .70 hole (40 HST) and a .355 hole (380 FMJ) IF one was focused on documenting differences in wound damage, but odds are they are focused on repairing the damage.

I'm no doctor but I can look at this hole and hypothesize it was not made by 380 FMJ.
View attachment 77812

That hole was made by a 10mm 155 XTP ;)
Thats an exit wound.

Fact is, ammo selection plays as much a role in this discussion as caliber.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts