Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

“The general (and predictable) consensus was that the most common CCW calibers see the most action. They all agreed that, from a medical perspective, there was no noticeable or real-world difference between .380 ACP, .38 Special, .357 Magnum and 40-caliber.
The only major standout was .45 ACP, where it resulted in about twice the fatality rate as the others, even to extremities.
Very little relevant information was available on .22 LR, .25 ACP or larger rounds like the .44 Magnum, simply because these are rarer selections for concealed carry.”

I was kind of surprised by the above and having standardized on .45acp, pleased to see this. :cool:

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Did .357mag lose the one shot kill throne?

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
I don't think lethality is necessarily a relevant factor in determining the effectiveness of handgun calibers. If the guy bleeds out and assumes room temperature after he soaks up a few rounds and then kills a few people, the fact that he eventually died of his wounds is not particularly helpful.

·
Registered
57,035 Posts
"“When it comes to multiple injuries, there’s no real case that says more bullet holes in more places cause more bleeding "

Perhaps not, but there's a real case for dropping the blood pressure faster with different organs penetrated/damaged.

·
Registered
13,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, food for thought and expert rebuttal from our own authorities. Opinions of ER Docs is certainly anecdotal, at least in this informal polling. :unsure:

·
Registered
15,947 Posts
That was a pretty worthless article, IMO.

9-mm, the most popular caliber in the world (and U.S.), only got mentioned in passing as one of the calibers used at the Virginia Tech mass murder.

It claims that .45-ACP was twice as deadly as other calibers. That's a pretty vague statement without real context or data.

The conclusion: We don't really know! 🤭

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
"“When it comes to multiple injuries, there’s no real case that says more bullet holes in more places cause more bleeding "

Perhaps not, but there's a real case for dropping the blood pressure faster with different organs penetrated/damaged.
Yeah; whoever said that hasn’t been up close and personal with any multiple injury patients.
What was stated is close to being correct; after they’ve bled out…

·
Registered
15,871 Posts
Yep..even .45 hardball makes a half inch hole..may not expand, but it never shrinks

Reactions: inthewoods

·
Registered
13,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BTW, 10MM = .394 cal.:unsure:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Uhhhhh... did I stumble upon an ancient thread? Why am I reading this in 2022? LOL

No offense, but I don't see any sources for data in that article outside of "In the weeks leading up to the writing of this article, I spoke to several medical staff who worked post-mortem. Those individuals chose to remain anonymous, but their information was somewhat inconclusive in terms of what calibers were more effective."

Who are these medical staff? Post-mortem of what? Legal self defense homicides by citizens with CCWs? Just saying, take it with a grain of salt. Carry what you feel comfortable with and are confident and competent at shooting well if (heaven forbid) the occasion ever arises that you need to use a blaster to save you, loved ones or innocent life.

·
Super Moderator
32,233 Posts
Uhhhhh... did I stumble upon an ancient thread? Why am I reading this in 2022? LOL

No offense, but I don't see any sources for data in that article outside of "In the weeks leading up to the writing of this article, I spoke to several medical staff who worked post-mortem. Those individuals chose to remain anonymous, but their information was somewhat inconclusive in terms of what calibers were more effective."

Who are these medical staff? Post-mortem of what? Legal self defense homicides by citizens with CCWs? Just saying, take it with a grain of salt. Carry what you feel comfortable with and are confident and competent at shooting well if (heaven forbid) the occasion ever arises that you need to use a blaster to save you, loved ones or innocent life.
No, NOT an "ancient thread." This thread was started only yesterday. :(

Reactions: gatorhazard

·
Registered
13,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Try reading the whole thread, Francis. 3 Posts, huh?:cool:

Reactions: inthewoods

·
Registered
57,035 Posts

·
Registered
57,035 Posts
That was a pretty worthless article, IMO.

9-mm, the most popular caliber in the world (and U.S.), only got mentioned in passing as one of the calibers used at the Virginia Tech mass murder.

It claims that .45-ACP was twice as deadly as other calibers. That's a pretty vague statement without real context or data.

The conclusion: We don't really know! 🤭
Read this== Analyzing 1800 Shootings: Which Caliber Has the Best Stopping Power? - Tier Three Tactical

1800 shootings where he collected data from autopsies, forensic examinations, as well as case reporting. He then compiled the data and examined it for the characteristics he thought best answered his questions

One shot stops
44mag
40 S+W
357 magnum
32acp
380acp
45acp and 38spl were tied

This is just one random study,

1 - 20 of 26 Posts