Florida Concealed Carry banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have applied for my CWP and I read a good amount on the web about how to interact with police in various situations regarding how to notify them without getting an LEOs Glock in your ear, but I had a question that popped into my head while lurking here this evening. I also spend a good amount of time reading Florida statutes so I can do my best to understand the legal jargon and stay a law abiding armed citizen.

I was wondering how you guys would handle this scenario and what the police would likely do.

Scenario:

You are legally carrying concealed, you have an appropriate carry shirt on, but somehow you drop something, or your kid falls, or some other event happens where you either forget, or somehow your gun is accidentally revealed briefly. You pick up whatever you dropped, and upon realizing you are exposed immediately cover your firearm back up in the most inconspicuous (for lack of a better word) way possible, and nonchalantly continue with your business. You dont notice anyone freaking out so you continue along your way, but unbeknownst to you, someone saw your weapon but was either out of earshot, or didnt freak out/scream and calls the police.

They arrive while you are at the register and confront you.

Questions:

A - What are the police likely to say/do when they confront you?

B - How do you go about presenting your concealed license?

If it was me, I would first say "I am a concealed weapons permit holder, I have my license on me in my wallet." I would hope that I am at the paying stage at the register so I wouldn't have to worry about trying to get my wallet out of my back pocket, but my second question is regarding how to go about presenting it if it is still in my wallet in said pocket.

So any advice, experience, links to articles or threads where this has been discussed would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
So I have applied for my CWP and I read a good amount on the web about how to interact with police in various situations regarding how to notify them without getting an LEOs Glock in your ear, but I had a question that popped into my head while lurking here this evening. I also spend a good amount of time reading Florida statutes so I can do my best to understand the legal jargon and stay a law abiding armed citizen.

I was wondering how you guys would handle this scenario and what the police would likely do.

Scenario:

You are legally carrying concealed, you have an appropriate carry shirt on, but somehow you drop something, or your kid falls, or some other event happens where you either forget, or somehow your gun is accidentally revealed briefly. You pick up whatever you dropped, and upon realizing you are exposed immediately cover your firearm back up in the most inconspicuous (for lack of a better word) way possible, and nonchalantly continue with your business. You dont notice anyone freaking out so you continue along your way, but unbeknownst to you, someone saw your weapon but was either out of earshot, or didnt freak out/scream and calls the police.

They arrive while you are at the register and confront you.

Questions:

A - What are the police likely to say/do when they confront you?

B - How do you go about presenting your concealed license?

If it was me, I would first say "I am a concealed weapons permit holder, I have my license on me in my wallet." I would hope that I am at the paying stage at the register so I wouldn't have to worry about trying to get my wallet out of my back pocket, but my second question is regarding how to go about presenting it if it is still in my wallet in said pocket.

So any advice, experience, links to articles or threads where this has been discussed would be much appreciated.
What are the police likely to say/do when they confront you?
Unfortunately that is a complete unknown and will depend entirely what the caller told dispatch, what dispatch told the responding officers, what the officers personally observed, their attitudes towards folks carrying, department policy, your appearance (sorry, but true) and demeanor, and what part of the state you are in.

How do you go about presenting your concealed license?
And this all depends one the answer to the first question.

You could easily have an experience like mine: I was loading something in the car, shirt got pulled up and behind pistol exposing it. A LEO just happened to be walking buy said "You pistol is showing." and kept walking. I've heard many such accounts.

But then there's the other end of the spectrum. Folks getting drawn on, cuffed, disarmed, etc.

Sorry, that's not much help...it just happens to be reality.

·
Registered
325 Posts
As for any response to anyone for any reason, how you react depends on how you're approached. The officer is going to be the one to determine how it goes, so take all cues from him. For all you know, the pants wetting liberal who called the police may have told 911 that you're wildly brandishing a weapon or about to rob the store, so just answer questions and be cooperative when engaged by an officer.

I'm sure in this state where open carry is a no-no, there are plenty of calls to police when a firearm peeks out. Most cops are probably familiar enough to recognize that you're a lawful carrier before they say word one to you, but depending on the call they may have to investigate regardless. Just be cooperative and chances are both you and the officer will have a pleasant exchange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
I have posted here before, on the gun uncovered accidently, putting something in our Jeep, outside Loews. Felt a tug on my shirt, looked round, female Deputy, who was walking by. Mind you it is a marked Security Jeep? That could be called a clue?

I called out, "thank you" she waved, kept walking.

Rule of thumb, person with a Pistol, not a .25 calibre! Like 9mm? In a holster, on a belt (not a plastic belt either) is a FCCL holder. I have never heard any story of Holster spotted be anything but, a FCCL holder.

Criminals, who use pistols, do not use holsters. Ditching a pistol? Easy, a holster? Not so much.

A LEO with any sense, waits till you have hands full of plastic bags, prior to..."Excuse me Sir, have you a moment" Then sort out the dispatched call.

Police Officers do roll playing up the ying yang, prior to going solo, leaving their FTO behind. Since a momentary showing of a Pistol, not in a threating manner, is not an offence, seems to me not a problem.

But you have better own, and carry a FCCL!

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Pushing a real crappy cart in a parking lot the wind blew my cover shirt up to my chin. The lot had a pitch so steep I couldn't keep the POS cart from running towards parked cars if I didn't keep both hands on it. Was like a Benny Hill show when a woman gets deer in the headlights eyes and the first thing came out of my dummy mouth was, "sorry maam, it's for my job". Now, it worked but I got the heck outta there quick as I could. I had visions of "impersonating a LEO"!

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Pushing a real crappy cart in a parking lot the wind blew my cover shirt up to my chin. The lot had a pitch so steep I couldn't keep the POS cart from running towards parked cars if I didn't keep both hands on it. Was like a Benny Hill show when a woman gets deer in the headlights eyes and the first thing came out of my dummy mouth was, "sorry maam, it's for my job". Now, it worked but I got the heck outta there quick as I could. I had visions of "impersonating a LEO"!
If part of your "job" is to protect yourself, then I'd say you spoke the truth.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Let the COP speak first.
What he (she) says determines how it goes from there.
eg; "We have a report of someone carrying a pistol...do you have a permit?"
"Yes I do and it's in my front left pocket;would you like to see it?

·
Banned
11,161 Posts
The first thing to remember is that carrying a concealed firearm, while in possession of a CWFL, is not a crime. The second thing is that a brief display of a lawfully concealed firearm is no longer a crime. You are doing nothing wrong. So, don't overreact if you are approached by a LEO. The best bet is to follow instructions and respond to questions easily and truthfully. As soon as possible inform the LEO that you have a CWFL and follow his directions for providing it. Allow the LEO to control the situation, until such time has you have produced your CWFL and ID.

As to exactly how the LEO will make the approach, that is impossible to say. It depends upon his training, experience and the situation as it exists at the time. But, however the initial contact is made, follow instructions. Remember, the LEO does not know you. He has no knowledge as to whether you may legally carry a concealed weapon or what your intentions are. And, as people routinely lie to LEOs, he is probably not going to simply take your word for it. By following instructions, you will likely suffer no more than momentary embarrassment. Refuse to follow instructions and do something stupid and you may end up dead.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Ask them if they've ever heard of the 2nd Amendment. Also, ask if they are a U.S. citizen. Either question may throw them.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
The first thing to remember is that carrying a concealed firearm, while in possession of a CWFL, is not a crime. The second thing is that a brief display of a lawfully concealed firearm is no longer a crime. You are doing nothing wrong. So, don't overreact if you are approached by a LEO. The best bet is to follow instructions and respond to questions easily and truthfully. As soon as possible inform the LEO that you have a CWFL and follow his directions for providing it. Allow the LEO to control the situation, until such time has you have produced your CWFL and ID.

As to exactly how the LEO will make the approach, that is impossible to say. It depends upon his training, experience and the situation as it exists at the time. But, however the initial contact is made, follow instructions. Remember, the LEO does not know you. He has no knowledge as to whether you may legally carry a concealed weapon or what your intentions are. And, as people routinely lie to LEOs, he is probably not going to simply take your word for it. By following instructions, you will likely suffer no more than momentary embarrassment. Refuse to follow instructions and do something stupid and you may end up dead.
Just a couple minor clarifications.

The first thing to remember is that carrying a concealed firearm, while in possession of a CWFL, is not a crime.
The legality does not rest in the possession of the actual card, but on the 'authority' granted when the license was approved.

The second thing is that a brief display of a lawfully concealed firearm is no longer a crime.
Never was, unless done in a rude, careless, angry, or threatening manner.

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
It may happen but most cops will be professional about it as long as you are. If they show up and caller points you out and the only thing you are doing is paying I think he will act accordingly. If he comes in and you're waving it around it may go differently for you :grin

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
It is very natual to respond in a manner reflecting the attitude with which one is presented. That works both ways. Treat me with respect as a law-abiding citizen, cooperation is what you'll get. Ask me stupid questions like "why do you need to carry a gun", and I'll get annoyed, responding appropriately. Lie to me about law, and expect a request for the presence of a supervisor and a formal letter of complaint.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Really? You're going to start out by being confrontational? Or was your reply a joke?
With my accent, I might be the one being asked the Question "Are you a US Citizen?"

That's when I produce my Passport Card. Never been asked the question yet.

·
Banned
11,161 Posts
Just a couple minor clarifications.

The legality does not rest in the possession of the actual card, but on the 'authority' granted when the license was approved.

What the heck are you talking about?

Never was, unless done in a rude, careless, angry, or threatening manner.
Really? Then what was all the push for the changes to the law in 2011 about? Remember when all of the activists were whining that oodles of people were being arrested and charged with violations of 790.053 for brief exposures? Were they all wrong? Did they lie to us? Please explain further.

·
Banned
11,161 Posts
Ask them if they've ever heard of the 2nd Amendment. Also, ask if they are a U.S. citizen. Either question may throw them.
Yeah, that's the right question to ask. Ever see the movie, "The Fifth Element"?

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Really? Then what was all the push for the changes to the law in 2011 about? Remember when all of the activists were whining that oodles of people were being arrested and charged with violations of 790.053 for brief exposures? Were they all wrong? Did they lie to us? Please explain further.
As you well know, the 'changes' to the law in 2011 resulted from the bastardization of the Open Carry bill.

This occurred by the Florida Sheriff's Association's (a decidedly anti-freedom organization despite the media efforts to state otherwise) using fear-mongering scare tactics and potentially unlawful lobbying efforts. Along with similar efforts by the equally two-faced Florida Retail Federation. These combined with the NRA's lack of testicular fortitude (and their desire to put one in the 'win' column at any cost, even if it was nothing more that media fodder - like the threatened use of force changes) and certain legislators freedom-hating proclivity resulted in another spectacularly lousy piece of legislation.

It did nothing except introducing ambiguity (subjective interpretation of a statutorily undefined term - "Brief") where none existed before.

'Exhibiting' a firearm in Florida has never been unlawful, unless it is done in a rude, careless, angry, or threatening manner.

Of course, as we all know arrests for lawful activity are not rare. The additional language has made the situation worse.

·
Banned
11,161 Posts
As you well know, the 'changes' to the law in 2011 resulted from the bastardization of the Open Carry bill.

This occurred by the Florida Sheriff's Association's (a decidedly anti-freedom organization despite the media efforts to state otherwise) using fear-mongering scare tactics and potentially unlawful lobbying efforts. Along with similar efforts by the equally two-faced Florida Retail Federation. These combined with the NRA's lack of testicular fortitude (and their desire to put one in the 'win' column at any cost, even if it was nothing more that media fodder - like the threatened use of force changes) and certain legislators freedom-hating proclivity resulted in another spectacularly lousy piece of legislation.

It did nothing except introducing ambiguity (subjective interpretation of a statutorily undefined term - "Brief") where none existed before.

'Exhibiting' a firearm in Florida has never been unlawful, unless it is done in a rude, careless, angry, or threatening manner.

Of course, as we all know arrests for lawful activity are not rare. The additional language has made the situation worse.
Obfuscate much?

I seem to remember that Ms hammer used the claim of lawful concealed carriers being arrested for violation of 790.053, as the reason for allowing OC in Florida, 2011. Rich, Sean and Mr. Friday all jumped on that band wagon. Remember that? Now, as you seem ignorant of 790.05 and 790.053, it is no wonder that you think that OC is NOT illegal in Florida. And, to make things worse, you seem oblivious to the fact that virtually no arrests have ever been documented for those accidentally exposing a lawfully carried concealed firearm. Want to try again?

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Obfuscate much?

I seem to remember that Ms hammer used the claim of lawful concealed carriers being arrested for violation of 790.053, as the reason for allowing OC in Florida, 2011. Rich, Sean and Mr. Friday all jumped on that band wagon. Remember that? Now, as you seem ignorant of 790.05 and 790.053, it is no wonder that you think that OC is NOT illegal in Florida. And, to make things worse, you seem oblivious to the fact that virtually no arrests have ever been documented for those accidentally exposing a lawfully carried concealed firearm. Want to try again?
Reading is fundamental, comprehension is key.

I'll help you with the latter.

I never said anything about OC being legal (absent the provisions on 790.25).
There is a huge difference, factually & legally, between open carry and exposing a firearm. :smack

1 - 20 of 112 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.