Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
55,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interested in realistic training for the fight with a handgun?

Another member from Defensive Carry [ DC ] is looking to put 8 people together in the Orlando area, dates to be announced if there's enough interest from that site,

so I thought maybe a few from this site would also be interested. If you are, let me know and I'll put you in touch with this poster on the DC forum.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbull...0-training-brownie-central-fl-interested.html

There has been a lot of interest generated for this training due to the recent after action reviews from that site on the Flagstaff class.

Those reviews are here:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbull...raining/59116-quick-kill-training-review.html from a retired 20+ year deputy sheriff.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbull...g/59054-azqkr-brownie-s-course-completed.html

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbull...al-training/50686-itft-quick-kill-review.html from a college student who attended twice

There's more reviews on my site at:

http://www.threatfocused.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19

Brownie

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Oh Boy!! Right in my backyard !!...I might get to take the AZ class with all other guys out there then come home and train with ya again Brownie...put me touch with this guy..I'll see if I cant scare up a couple of people..

·
Super Moderator
6,151 Posts
Brownie,

There must be some sort of prerequisite for someone taking this level of skills class. This is not something that I can consider at this time but I have to say that my total inexperience would prevent me from signing up. It would only be fair to the other students in the class to not have a novice among them.

Surely there has to be some sort of progressive training to get someone from my level (basically - well, nothing) to this level of training for them to benefit from such a class.

Is there such a thing as baby steps, toddlerhood, kid, tween, teen then adult level classes in the gun training world?

I would be totally intimidated from taking this class mostly due to my very limited training level but in truth I would not go because I would not want to be a distraction to those in the class who bring with them a certain level of understanding and are there to prefect those skills. To sign up to take a class only to discover that someone signed up who doesn't even understand the basic rudimentary gun terminology would be very disappointing.

What classes would you suggest someone take who is just being introduced to your world of guns and training?

MamaBear

btw, are you teaching this class in Orlando or is it your friend?

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Good question MamaBear, of course I'm not Brownie and I'm sure he'll chime in here..I will say this though, part of the problem with new shooters are they feel intimidated if they havent had previous training. With Brownie's class he takes new shooters, very similar to you, and will have you hitting Metal on Meat in about an hour..Good thing for you is, it is not a distraction at all, in fact it enhances the experience for everyone else. Reason, you have no bad habits to correct. Basic safety procedures are ran thru prior to class. Others in the class who you might think would be good because of all the prior training they might have had can sometimes struggle with the technique. Brownie's teaching style and his Quick Kill techniques put the beginner and the expert on equal footing by the end of the weekend..DO NOT ever feel that you are not qualified to take one of his training weekends. Your training level or experience will in no way affect the class or the other shooters. You would be surprised how many he has trained in this technique who have virtually the same experience level as yourself and walked away after a weekend with the knowledge to save your life or that of your loved ones. Its a DONT MISS IT training that will impart on you the skill, knowledge, attitude and confidence to defend yourself if or when the SHTF..

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Here's little review for ya MamaBear..pay attention to bold print..

ITFTS Course Review
Today we exist in a state of uncertainty. What will tomorrow bring? Between visions of the breakdown of the Soviet Union, and the more relevant evening news detailing the numerous ways innocent people are violated, one can be left weary. Not necessarily afraid, but aware... connected with reality in a way that most of civilization would prefer to hide from, denying it's mere existance.

My experience with people is that many, if not most, prefer to believe that bad things will not, or can not, happen to them. Kidnappings, rapes, murders -- these are the fates of other poor souls worlds apart from us. Right? Sorry, but no. All of the things that we read about in the news is real. It happens to everyday people just like you and me, and I don't intend to let myself, or my family, be an easy target. So what is my solution? Concealed Carry.

When I finally decided I was ready to purchase a handgun to carry on my person, I knew I was setting off on a quest for knowledge and training that would cost a lot of time and money. I just didn't quite realize how much it would take. First the gun, then the holsters, the belt, the ammo, the cleaning supplies, range fees, targets, ear protection, CCW classes and application fees, different sized firearms for different dress, the list is never-ending. For all of this expense, however, something was clearly lacking. Sure, I'd played paintball since 1987. I've put over 1000 rounds down range with my handgun and can rapid-fire COM with no misses using my sights in a controlled atmosphere. I'm light, have quick-reflexes, and my hand-eye coordination is top-notch. Still, that was just not enough to make me feel good about carrying this gun on my hip.

In comes Brownie. I came across a thread over on DC.com about the ITFTS in Flagstaff, AZ. The price was right. I live close. I read the reviews on this forum and was totally sold. Point-shooting will generate some much-heated arguments here and there between it's proponents and opponents. So, after a few months anticipation and with a semi-skeptical attitude after reading all the debate I showed up in Flagstaff with my wife. Within minutes we were on the firing line. Everything was set up and ready to go; there was not going to be any classroom BS in this course. We got to the training, and after the first day I had some incredible skills at the ready. These are real, down-on-the-streets survival skills. sure, maybe I could get a sharp-focus on the top edge of my front sight and hit a target at 200 yards with my handgun if I took some other training courses (no disrespect to those trainers intended), but that is not what I'm looking for.

These skills involved getting out of the holster and on target NOW. EU/ED and QK hip are about as fast and repeatably accurate a skill as you will ever need on the street. Forget about sight acquisition when a BG 15 feet away goes to pull a gun or knife. It's not gonna happen. I'm gonna get the gun out and fire from the hip with the confidence that I can hit multiple targets faster than I could get my sights in line on a single target with other methods. I won't get into all the skills taught, but they are all valuable. Brownie does a good job of teaching them with an upbeat and fun presentation. Through the entire course, those of us in attendance were having a blast. A single glance down the firing line at any time during the day would show a group of silly smiling shooters. We were standing in the wind and sun, all day long, shooting so much that our hands and bodies were hurting. But we wanted more.

Even my wife, who was about as inexperienced with firearms as they come, was quite impressive with her little Kahr MK9, almost immediately. Brownie was kind enough to devote some extra time and attention to her, and when he was done she was downright scary. I wouldn't want to be on the other end of her barrel any day. That is probably what impressed me the most. Regardless of your [email protected], Brownie will do what it takes to make you competent with your gun.

After two days of sunburn and hard pounding from our guns, my wife and I returned home. Almost immediately, she was searching for the airsoft pistol. Right into the backyard, she is using QK to nail small key limes, rocks, dog toys, etc... amazing! These are not only life-saving skills, but they are fun to boot

I would recommend anyone carrying a firearm to take this class. Without this training you are giving up precious time when you are already behind the curve. Using these skills, along with your situational awareness and proper equipment, you will have the best chance of survival should you find yourself in such a situation. The price is more than reasonable. Brownie is awesome. Do it.

Here are a couple videos to watch. One is Lonnie, aka SGT443, and the other is my wife and I. Remember, we are not looking at our guns at all and we are MOVING. Watch as I move from one steel plate to the other, then back again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px4y0GwEUMI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s5IiA2BaZA

·
Super Moderator
6,151 Posts
SwampRat,

I'm in the middle of school right now and will read this during my lunch hour. I did want to ask though, is that new avatar your new glamour, glossy shot?

MamaBear

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Cute, real cute:rolf....well, to be honest because I'm in the public view now more than I ever as a trainer, I figured I'd let everyone know what I looked like..might run more off than sign up, now that they know..:eek:

·
Registered
55,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the assist SwampRat, that after action review [ AAR ] was the one I was going to quote for Mamabear as well. This mans wife was as inexperienced in handguns as you could probably get.

Here's another one from Linda who came up with her husband from Georgia, who relates about another woman in the Tenn class with little to no experience as well. Her name is Jamie.

Brownie once more gave a safety talk and told us a little of what the day would hold. That first class, I learned to draw, point and shoot with accuracy. So did Jamie and her husband Andy. You expect a man to pick up a gun and shoot well, but not a young lady. Jamie was drawing her gun and keeping a tight circle of bullet holes in her target that first day. She was enjoying it too! It was amazing that Brownie could take someone that had never shot a gun before and someone like me who had, and teach both of us how to aim without sites and hit a target with such accuracy. I had never drawn a gun from a holster, aimed without using the sites or kept a tight pattern on the target, but on that first day of class I did. So did Jamie! As we picked up a little speed the pattern spread out and Jamie was concerned that she wasn't doing very well. Brownie stood behind the target and showed her that all of her bullets had been chest shots and all of them were deadly. Can you imagine someone who has never shot a gun could pick it up and be able to do as well as that. That is what Brownie does. He teaches safety first, then confidence and accuracy........and this was the first day!

Mamabear,

I can take you from zero to 60 mph in just a few short hours with very little effort. One of my forte's is the ability to impart these life saving skills to anyone, no matter what their previous experience level is. As SwampRat mentioned, new shooters can be easier to bring up to speed in the class at times than seasoned veterans. You won't be holding the class back at all.

These are new skills for everyone for the most part. From the 5th SF group personnel and the Air Force Para Rescue elite forces to someone who hasn't any experience, they are all seeing these skills for the first time.

Don't hesitate to get into the class if you can make it based on your perceived lack of training. At the end of the weekend, you'll have more workable lifesaving skills than most who have carried a gun on the streets for decades. I can say that because the reviews from some of the best this country trains to fight for us have stated as much in their own AAR's.

SwampRat, head over to DC http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbull...0-training-brownie-central-fl-interested.html and pm sass20485 to get things rolling. Thats probably going to be the easiest way to communicate with the sponsor.

Brownie

·
Super Moderator
6,151 Posts
Brownie,

I have no doubt I would thrive under your tutelage. How I wish time and money grew on trees.

I'm also wondering aloud how one manages to physically survive firing off 2k rounds of ammo. My fingers start to ache at 150. I could buy some time because I'm ambidextrous but even with that 2k seems a bit daunting..and impossible for a newbie. Maybe I'm just a baby and don't have enough calluses on my dainty little hands yet.

MamaBear

·
Super Moderator
6,151 Posts
SwampRat,

Don't think for one minute I'm not absorbing all of this info. To me it is not a matter of 'if' but 'when' I would take a class like this. Many things to work out but I'm certainly not saying 'no'. How does that saying go? Where there is a will there is a way.

MamaBear

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
SwampRat,

Don't think for one minute I'm not absorbing all of this info. To me it is not a matter of 'if' but 'when' I would take a class like this. Many things to work out but I'm certainly not saying 'no'. How does that saying go? Where there is a will there is a way.

MamaBear
I know you'd love to learn more as evidenced by your posts..You are a sponge and have the will. I admire that, I wish others had your will to learn..I just try and take away the excuses of not being qualified or not enough experience etc ....you keep soaking up all this stuff and you'll end up beating up all the guys that dont pay attention..:eek:

·
Registered
55,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm also wondering aloud how one manages to physically survive firing off 2k rounds of ammo.

Many don't get that round count under their belts. It depends on the guns capacity, how many mags you have and your tolerance for long strings of fire.

It doesn't take 2000 to learn the skills, however, the more you can shoot under with me there, the more ingrained the skills will be for you when you finish the weekend course.

Brownie

·
Registered
252 Posts
More interested people...

My wife and I have been looking for a course that will take our gun range skills into the real world. This looks like it fits the bill. We're both decent casual range shooters. What I'd like now is a course that will help me think about decide, draw, point, shoot and move... and preferably doing several of those things at the same time. Standing on the line and drilling holes in the 10 ring of a silhouette doesn't compare.

We're in the Orlando area and would be glad to put our names down for two more slots in a FL course.

- Str8Shooter

·
Registered
55,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Str8Shooter,

What I'd like now is a course that will help me think about decide, draw, point, shoot and move... and preferably doing several of those things at the same time

That's exactly what you will get in the course that's coming to Florida sir.

Reviews from students at this link should give you a good idea of what to expect in my courses.

http://www.threatfocused.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2325

http://www.threatfocused.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2125

http://www.threatfocused.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2119

http://www.threatfocused.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1411

http://www.threatfocused.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1297

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Brownie

·
Registered
55,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've been contacted by a member of another forum who has the requisite number of students to make a central Fla class "good to go".

Details are being worked out as to where and when. The when will be sometime in either March or April 09.

I'll keep people posted here as soon as the details become available. Deposits will be taken once the announcement of venue and dates has been firmed up. If you are interested after the announcements are made, pm me and I'll send contact information at that time.

Looking forward to getting back to Fla again this spring, meeting and training with the people who can make this one from this forum. Whether you are a new shooter or well seasoned veteran of firearms, you'll never look at SD with a handgun the same again.

Brownie

·
Registered
252 Posts
That's good news Brownie! I'll try to keep my March/April calendar as clear as possible until the dates are announced. (My April calendar is already a mess, but I'll see what I can do to make it work if we do this in April.)

I've already been in touch with Sass on DC. I'll keep my fingers crossed we can get this done.

- Str8Shooter

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
We'll get in done..no doubt..just a matter of locking in the range and the date. Start loading up on ammo folks and saving your dollars. This is going to be well worth it whatever sacrifice you might have to make to get there. I've been operating in a street/combat environment for almost 40 years and if there is one skill you want to learn as a Concealed Carry citizen, it is this one. Its direct, to the point and will enhance your skill sets beyond anything you imagined possible. The Threat Focused Skills Brownie teaches will give you that extra little edge you'll need when/if the SHTF.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well, I'd pm'ed on the other site expressing interest before I knew of this thread, but I might as well say here that barring unforeseen events, I'm planning on this, and am excited, though I should issue a newbie warning to brownie and all others. I've had a few basic lessons and like to shoot once a week, but I'm a beginner, and that 2000 rounds sounds a bit intimidating. I shot 300 rounds two weeks ago, went to sign some papers right after, and could barely write my name :eek:

·
Super Moderator
5,067 Posts
Please keep us updated with the dates. I would very much like to attend, but as a firefighter, weekends are not necessarily always free for me.

George

·
Registered
55,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 25 Posts