Florida Concealed Carry banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
55,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
“That statement from a seasoned older officer was worth being there. But that's just ONE of 14 guys who made the effort to express their appreciation for us being there.“

That’s bordering on the surreal!
I can’t understand how they failed to realize the lifesaving skills they’d just been given.

My first class was a lifechanging event; and how anyone could not recognize that and thank the guy who made it possible is just inconceivable to me...
Rick, I think the majority of them recognized the advantage they were given. I didn't mean to suggests I didn't get a few thanks and fist bumps, which I did. But just the older seasoned vet made it a point to express exactly what he believed the skills were worth.

2 thoughts,

first 90% of those there were young. 23-27 years old. Just a guess, though cordial, the younger guys had a mild holier than though mentality. We had dinner with a senior 33 yr vet head bomb tech for the state [ now retired ] Friday night, that Keith knew and invited to dinner. When he asked for aar's, he looked right at me and waited for me to water it down. I told it like it was, he reached over and whispered something to the effect that if I'd told him they were anything but keystoners, he'd have know Keith was blowing smoke up his butt about my background.

We talked for two hours, I asked him if he knew who Randy Lamatina was in the 90's. He thought a minute and aksed if that was the bomb tech who had his face and hands blow off after being told the bomb has been determined safe and had already been transported.

Yup, he said there was likely a training video they used back then back in his offices archives still there. Asked why I asked, told him I was from that area and knew him personally but hadn't met him before the accident. That opened up a world of questions and war stories from our "street" days.

Where we stayed, he'd been commander of prechecks on explosives there dozens of times when dignitaries were visiting. He commanded all bomb techs in the state of Indiana for years. Real pro in his field. Once he knew I was from Ma., told me he had a 9 day gig supervising DoD types at Ft. Devins, did I know of the place. "Ya mean the mil base on Rte 2 outside Gardner? Ever get to the pizza joint 1/2 way down the hill on main street, left side? He cracked up, man we could have talked for hours. Real pro, good sense of humor.

·
Registered
5,503 Posts
Brownie, great report. It’s indeed sad that law enforcement these days doesn’t pull out the stops($$) to train in the most basic skills needed to survive, to protect and serve. Your civilian students know full well that they are their own first responders.

Many years back an old friend who retired from the sheriffs office would let me in the indoor range where he worked at 0700 on Saturday morning. They didn’t open till nine. Often times there would be a group of law-enforcement officers there practicing for their once or twice a year qualification. Often times I said “if that officer ever goes rogue and comes shooting at you, your best strategy is to stand perfectly still about 10 yards away and you’ll be safe“

One of the little known facts about President Lincoln‘s body is that they had to pack it in ice every day. He was not embalmed as we know it today. By the time he finally got there they were having to spruce him up every night with make up of some sort and pack him carefully and ice because he was starting to putrefy.

·
Registered
55,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Brownie, great report. It’s indeed sad that law enforcement these days doesn’t pull out the stops($$) to train in the most basic skills needed to survive, to protect and serve. Your civilian students know full well that they are their own first responders.

Many years back an old friend who retired from the sheriffs office would let me in the indoor range where he worked at 0700 on Saturday morning. They didn’t open till nine. Often times there would be a group of law-enforcement officers there practicing for their once or twice a year qualification. Often times I said “if that officer ever goes rogue and comes shooting at you, your best strategy is to stand perfectly still about 10 yards away and you’ll be safe“

One of the little known facts about President Lincoln‘s body is that they had to pack it in ice every day. He was not embalmed as we know it today. By the time he finally got there they were having to spruce him up every night with make up of some sort and pack him carefully and ice because he was starting to putrefy.
Nice fact on Lincoln, it was quite the totally unexpected moment to be standing in the room where he lay in wait. Might say that was a highlight along with the original speak easy of the trip.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I will try not to ramble on about this but through my work I have met and worked with (non police work) and became friends with many officers from the areas I have lived. I have long been of the opinion that PD training and "annual qualification" shooting is a joke. Never been a member of a PD and never surveyed officers so I a not trying to say it is like this all over just that my PD exposure and knowledge gained is reinforced by the training experience being discussed by Brownie. Officer live fire training is mostly a budget item to be manipulated as a mini slush fund for other budget items. I am still in contact with officers (active and retired) that enjoy telling stories how the range officer would have coffee with them and write off their qualification without a single shot fired. Many officers often mention how they are trained (not sure if this is official training or peer conversations) that in an active shootout to "put up a wall of fire, seek cover and call for backup". That is a far cry from the self defense training these officers were offered by Brownie and should of participated in. Brownie's posted observations certainly shed additional light on why several officers can fire twenty rounds at a suspect cornered in a entrance doorway and only hit the suspect two or three times.

·
Super Moderator
6,189 Posts
Read the report to my wife. She’s from Indiana and is proud of her work with Brownie, Rick, and Bob that she can probably shoot just as well as the majority of Indiana SWAT.

Thanks for the report.

·
Registered
55,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Read the report to my wife. She’s from Indiana and is proud of her work with Brownie, Rick, and Bob that she can probably shoot just as well as the majority of Indiana SWAT.

Thanks for the report.
She can indeed, hope you two are doing well Andy

21 - 26 of 26 Posts