Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
55,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the gear packed up last night for the trip mid next week to Indianapolis. Various swat officers from different depts across the state will attend their annual conference and training venues. Got invited to go last year, cancelled due to Covid, but we're on this year.

8 per day, and they've only allocated 250 rds per officer, so I've also packed up the training blades and inert pistols [ for disarms ] Each days group can decide to take the afternoon off or come back after lunch for some unarmed against a knife and wall of edge, then some pistol disarming.

My former US Army ranger buddy Keith will make the trip with me next week. He's checking the bag with the guns, mine is going in his checked bag along with muffs and holster to be in the safe side. I got waylaid in Atlanta coming back from a course in Fla one year because they swabbed the bag and got a hit for explosives. The nightmare that ensued [ which ended with me catching my connecting flight ] is not something I want to be going through this trip.

Plan on getting a few pics of the group, maybe some pics of them on the line, and some of their defensive blade if they grant permission for photos. Home some time just a week from today. Am I looking forward to this? Hell no, I got roped into it last year when Keith put my name and creds in the basket of training venues during the conference. Oh, and we only allowed 8 per day, and both days are filled. Apparently, there's interest in the threat focused skills so many here have garnered over the numerous courses I've put on in the sunshine state.

·
Registered
55,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Mods, can you move this to the training and tactics sub forum? Have no idea why I put it here, thanks

·
Super Moderator
29,473 Posts
(y) (y) Looking forward to reading your Instructor ARR in this! 🤠

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
With events being caught on camera as this past year illustrates, I am confident you will include your training of "for the camera". Such tactics as yelling "stop" etc. while using open hand defense/attack tactics. I learned this from you and still remember it. These young officers will be exposed to so much that even the low round count will become a non issue.

·
Registered
55,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ISOA AAR,

Got into Indy Friday about 3pm. Dep sheriff was waiting for us out front, drove us to the Crown Plaza Grand Hall and Conference Center and we checked in, then to our room. It was an original 1920's railroad car, several were on the original tracks. This large complex was a major train station hub until cars became commonplace in the 30's.

Pres. Abraham Lincoln lay in waiting on a second floor, having been moved from Wash.DC back to Oak Ridge Cemetery in Springfield, Illinois. Over 200 trains entered and departed the station every day in it's heyday.

We were exploring the areas closed off [ many sealed off ] when a staff member caught us and seeing we wanted to see the older sectioned closed off and there for the LE SWAT conference took us on a tour of areas off limits to the public, including an original speak easy from the 20's into the mid 30's. I'll throw up some pictures of what we treated to, including original hand chiseled huge blocks of granite which most of the original building was made from.

On to the training. Next morning [ Thursday ], we were picked up out front by a deputy and driven to Boone County Sheriffs ranges some 30 miles NW of Indy. First day, 8 students [ all swat officers as this was, after all, the Indiana Swat Officers Associations yearly conference where swat types from all over the state converge once a year for this conference which offers various training regimens ].

Start time 9am sharp. Keith [ my ranger bud who was along ] set up the targets on stands and we're off to the races. I had to adjust this training to accommodate the limited 250 rds per officer limit. As others here know, this course is usually 800-1K rds a day. So I took 30 minutes to give historical record of the skills from the 30's in Shanghai, to the OSS being given the skills in ww2, and who the OSS were and what they became after the war in both the US and Britain.

First up, QK pistol, yes, I mixed this up as we were never going to be there all day with the limited ammo supplies. Started them off at 15 feet. One round at a time for 3, then 2 rounds at a time for 3, then 3 rounds at a time for 3. Total 18 rounds. Each string, I took the time to check each shooters target, correcting reference point as necessary [ started at the standard 2" reference point. 2 of the 8, both on the left end owned it at that range in 18 rounds. 3 more stayed just outside the 10/X ring but close to it. The other 3 didn't find it intuitive initially, but were fine at the end of the 15 foot line.

Moved back to 21 feet, same drills and round counts. ALL showed they understood their reference points and could shoot QK pistol more than adequately. Then up to 6 feet for 1/2 hip. I didn't live fire demo [ had to take 5 rounds from each officer in the morning as we weren't allocated any ammo for either day ]. I showed them, had them draw their firearms and get into the position. Corrected elbows, forearms parallel to the ground, wrists straight, muzzle parallel to the ground. 1 round and checked each target, made corrections as necessary with each officer. Two more 1 round shots and checking and corrections, then on to 2 rounds per string [ all from the holster ]. Improvement shown with all, some more than others. More one round and holster strings checking each shooter for them to gain some proprioception to perfect form. This was all slow shooting, told them check you position, take their time and fire when they were ready. After everyone was up to speed on positioning, we went from crawl to walk on speed, then walk to run, then get er done speed cause they were being drawn on and time was off the essence like on the street. All had this skill down within 20-24 rounds.

On to 3/4, then point shoulder, same developmental increments as in 1/2 hip. Round count stood at about 100 rounds of the 250 they had. Then on to 1/2 hip moving off line where they had to fire the instant their moved foot touched down [ commands were left, or right ]. All were staying well inside the 9 ring, many making 10's and a few X's with movement. All at 6 feet as in 1/2 hip earlier.

Then box lunches were brought in and we took an hour, then back on the line. Round count at this point was about 150 rds as I had them eventually running 2-3 rounds per left and right commands.

After lunch, we went back to 1/2 hip, where I told them they could no longer dog it, I wanted to see speed from holster to first shots. Faster, faster, faster, is all they heard me barking, pushing all of them to outside their comfort levels. All had speed and were all inside 9 ring hits from the holster. 20 more rounds and we're about at 170-175 round count.

Same for 3/4 and point shoulder for round count to 215-220 rds total for the day. Now we're down to the last few mags of ammo, so I had them walk the line one at a time with the target 12 feet from their right side, with me beside them on their left. At the command to fire, they were to turn to face the threat and put 1 round on threat using point shoulder. We went through that drill twice [ just killing the time ].

Next up, QK hip on two threats. Demonstrated, had them draw and hold position while I made corrections, then onto firing 1 round on each threat from the holster. Faster, faster, faster, stop dogging it. They were making good hits on both threats, and they shot till dry and out of their 250 rounds.

Ended the day about 3 pm. I had no choice but to adjust the curriculum. Either give them two skills they owned or several they were fairly proficient at but would need to work further be at the level my students normally attain with higher round counts and more developed proprioception.

Second day we had 6 show up of the 8 that had signed up. Same as above, we ended at 1:30pm.

What I observed. First 8, two real shooters, 5 fair shooters, 1 who didn't shoot much at all. Second 6, 3 real shooters, 2 fair shooters, 1 wasn't really a shooter. I mention this as SWAT officers should all be superb shooters, not just fair shooters to be on a team, IMO. Come to find out, in Indiana, once you graduate the academy, you may never fire on an annual qual in your 30 year career. State mandates semi annual, but no depts qual 2x a year, most don't ever qual, and the state ignores this for the most part. The powers that be, sheriffs in their counties would rather spend money earmarked for training on new gear and vehicles. [ SAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ].

No pics were taken of the guys shooting either day, they asked I not take their pictures, and we abided them.

Final thoughts. 90% of my civilian students can out shoot any of the states SWAT officers by a wide margin in the skills covered, and likely shooting front sight press as well. They all shot with flagged thumbs, I changed two to thumbs locked down and they instantly were making better center hits with speed. They adopted it, the others remain flagged thumbs shooters.

Would I do this again, even if being paid and say 500 rds allocated per day? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why?-- IMO, it's a waste of time. If I can't have students OWN each skill when they leave, I don't want to train them. I'm not jumping through TSA unless it's worth the trip.
20210428_165900.jpg
20210428_165804.jpg
20210428_191645.jpg

On to the pictures, some will be self explanatory, I'll edit some to describe what they represent.

20210428_170010.jpg

·
Registered
55,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pic 1, hand etched glass
Pic 2 and 3, hand chiseled granite original walls inside the speak easy [ under ground level ]
Pic 4 Speak easy room from the 20's
Pic5 Original porcelan urinal in the speak easy room/.
20210428_191214.jpg
20210428_190511.jpg
20210428_190548.jpg
20210428_190249.jpg
20210428_190101.jpg

·
Super Moderator
29,473 Posts
Excellent AAR, brownie and how disappointing for the State of Indiana that "SWAT" doesn't get even close to adequate trading and proficiency!

Reactions: brownie

·
Registered
8,665 Posts
That’s a damn shame they couldn't have more ammo to train with. I understand the ammo situation now, but as I recall, those round counts were set last year before the china virus hit!

That’s interesting about your assessment of the SWAT guy’s proficiency levels. Based on that, it makes you wonder how proficient the rank and file LEOs are...

Thanks for the AAR and pics, Brownie!

·
Registered
55,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That’s a damn shame they couldn't have more ammo to train with. I understand the ammo situation now, but as I recall, those round counts were set last year before the china virus hit!

That’s interesting about your assessment of the SWAT guy’s proficiency levels. Based on that, it makes you wonder how proficient the rank and file LEOs are...

Thanks for the AAR and pics, Brownie!
Good memory of round count for the cancelled course last year. The dept would not give their swat guys more that 250 rds for the course.

I've got guys like you and many others [ we all know who we're talking about ] who would run circles around these guys. One older Sgt was always hesitant to shoot with speed, he didn't have that confidence level so stayed in his comfort zone. I forced him to step up to the plate and shoot B*lls to the wall. Low and behold, he was making X and 10 ring shots when pushed, the light bulb went off bright on this guy. After I pushed him and he saw the hits, he was smiling constantly at his new found level of speed and accuracy. He told me at the end of the day he'd never fired that many rounds without looking at the gun in 27 years on the dept.. Big smile, gave me a hug and said "I really appreciate you guys coming here for free, this was one of the best courses I've ever attended.

That statement from a seasoned older officers was worth being there. But that's just ONE of 14 guys who made the effort to express their appreciation for us being there.

·
Registered
55,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Excellent AAR, brownie and how disappointing for the State of Indiana that "SWAT" doesn't get even close to adequate trading and proficiency!
I told Keith on the flight home, "what a bunch of keystone cops". He agreed, also sad these guys can't get the range time and ammo expenditures to put them on their best game when they get a call out.

·
Registered
8,665 Posts
“That statement from a seasoned older officer was worth being there. But that's just ONE of 14 guys who made the effort to express their appreciation for us being there.“

That’s bordering on the surreal!
I can’t understand how they failed to realize the lifesaving skills they’d just been given.

My first class was a lifechanging event; and how anyone could not recognize that and thank the guy who made it possible is just inconceivable to me...

·
Super Moderator
29,473 Posts
“That statement from a seasoned older officer was worth being there. But that's just ONE of 14 guys who made the effort to express their appreciation for us being there.“

That’s bordering on the surreal!
I can’t understand how they failed to realize the lifesaving skills they’d just been given.

My first class was a lifechanging event; and how anyone could not recognize that and thank the guy who made it possible is just inconceivable to me...
As was mine. Had me convinced in 15 min after seeing what I was able to do with brownie's enlightenment. I didn't know then what I didn't know but now, I don't know my previous self any more! I thank brownie every chance I get! THANKS AGAIN, BROWNIE!!! 🤠

·
Registered
55,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Thanks guys, as I've mentioned before several times, paying it forward to others has been one of the highlights of my life. Never thought I'd be imparting skills given me by some of the old masters nor was that intent of seeking those mentors. But it's turned out pretty damned well that I was not only capable of using them for decades but then actually being able to impart them to others who, hopefully, will continue to pass them to others.

One day I suppose they will be lost once again to history, that I could move the time line forward a few more decades has been very rewarding.

Appreciate the thoughts,

1 - 20 of 26 Posts