Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This happened a year or so ago, but you might find it interesting, nonetheless.

In a lengthy lumber yard checkout line is a very large construction worker with a booming voice who is complaining loudly to a friend about a job he is on.

Loud enough to have everyone in line in front of him turn towards him to see what is going on.

The customer just in front of Mr. Big Mouth gets nervous, leaves the line and retreats into the bowels of the store.

That leaves me now directly in front of Mr. BM.....but Mr. BM didn't see me there until just now.

He turns to me and loudly begins to acuse me of cutting in front of him.

Everyone nearby is wide eyed and thinking that this fellow is a bit of a fruit cake. Good assumption.

I'm now in front of the cashier, so I quickly, and quietly, paid for my single item and briskly walked out of the store, trying to put some distance between him and me.

Mr BM leaves his cart and follows me out into the parking lot, still bellowing.

After 20 yards or so, I turned towards this guy and told him to leave me alone.

He said something to the effect, "How about I just kick your azz, instead", and he continues to advance menacingly towards me.

On my belt is a large brass belt buckle.....made up of the letters NRA.

With my left hand, I tilted the buckle upwards towards Mr. BM, and my right hand went into my right front pocket.

Then I said, "You need to stop right there and read the letters on this buckle. Carefully note where my right hand is".

Mr. BM stopped a dozen feet away from me, a quizzical look on his furrowed face, before flipping me off with a loud FU and returning to the store.

I still wear that buckle every day.

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
Very interesting incident. I have a NRA hat and I balk at wearing it just because of the possible negative attention I might get but a NRA belt buckle I would wear. Now, the belt buckle worked for you positively but could you be accused of threatening someone by flashing this buckle at Mr Loud Mouth. I don't know.

·
Super Moderator
5,067 Posts
My NRA experience......
I joined the NRA about 1990. Signed up for the "extended pay life membership". I was diligently paying $50 per quarter for several years. I moved to a new home in the same town, and my invoice got crossed up in the mail forward and returned to the NRA.

Upon realizing I wasn't getting my favorite bathroom reading material at the new address, I called. I was told I was dropped for non-payment! I explained the change of address to no avail, and was told I couldn't be re-instated without signing up a whole new membership.... INCLUDING STARTING ALL OVER ON THE LIFE MEMBERSHIP PAYMENTS!

Needless to say, with only 3 $50 payments left to "Life Member", I was pissed! I am still NOT an NRA member 19 years after I signed up initially.... I guess they got their money and that was all they wanted.

Rant over, thankyouverymuch

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
I was always one to play the grey man when it comes to concealed carry. No stickers on the truck, no hats or shirts etc. Nothing to identify me as an NRA, GOA etc member..but now that I'm in the 'business' so to speak. I've got magnetic signs on the truck with my name, phone number, NRA Instructor and Concealed Carry Classes in big bold letters. NRA Instructor decal in the window. Even wear my Instructors shirt and hat when I have a class that day. Man, talk about a target??..lets just say I operate in condition Orange not yellow when I'm out and about in all my regalia..but its marketing and advertising that needs to be done..guess I takes my chances. Cant tell you if its a deterrent or a target. I have gotten quite a bit of business off the signs though.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
The "This house protected by S&W" signs always made me think if I were a thug I would look at it as a free for the taking gun shop.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Good story. You handled that very well!:thumsup:drinks

The "This house protected by S&W" signs always made me think if I were a thug I would look at it as a free for the taking gun shop.

I many times consider hanging my used targets on the perimeter fence as my "security signs" :ak:laughing

·
Registered
25 Posts

Wearing or not wearing NRA logo gear is a personal choice, obviously. Personally, I don't advertise my NRA life membership via decals on my car or doors. My take is that doing so merely advertises the fact to potential BGs that there are weapons in this car/house and invites a break-in.

As for NRA caps or other gear, I wear an NRA cap once in a great while; I am NOT a cap aficionado so don't wear even my Red Sox cap but once in a Blue Moon. My NRA t-shirt is another story, however. THAT I wear regularly and proudly.

Since I take great and perverse pleasure in tormenting pant peeing, pantywaist AGNs, I just LOVE to see the looks of abject horror from the pony tail wearing 50+ year old guys who used to throw rocks at me when I was in ROTC and the army when they read my NRA emblazoned shirt. There is this, too: frequently I get a 'thumbs up' from fellow members of the "I've figured it out and I carry or own guns" crowd. In case it isn't patently obvious, I am NOT what anyone would call PC!

Merry Christmas. Have a day. Bang Gunley

·
Registered
974 Posts
My NRA t-shirt is another story, however. THAT I wear regularly and proudly.

There is this, too: frequently I get a 'thumbs up' from fellow members of the "I've figured it out and I carry or own guns" crowd. In case it isn't patently obvious, I am NOT what anyone would call PC!

Merry Christmas. Have a day. Bang Gunley
I was thinking I would get a Molan Labe t-shirt. Those who agree will know. Those who don't agree will have no clue.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I was thinking I would get a Molan Labe t-shirt. Those who agree will know. Those who don't agree will have no clue.
OK flccnp, I'll bite. What is Molan Labe???
Never heard of it, but would need to know what it means before i can be for or against it.

·
Registered
974 Posts
OK flccnp, I'll bite. What is Molan Labe???
Never heard of it, but would need to know what it means before i can be for or against it.
The story is that when the Spartans were facing the Persians at Thermopylae they were told to give up their weapons and surrender. Their reply was molan labe which translates to come and get 'em or over my dead body.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molon_labe

·
Registered
580 Posts
Ok, and yes, i do agree with that 100%.
Whoever said that they know everything, doesn't know : censored
I'm 46 and still learning, and i think that is a good thing.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I want to know what you guys/gals think about wearing a shirt other than NRA that would advertise that you are armed. I know that florida does not allow Open Carry but it seems that a lot of people on this forum (per survey I saw) would open carry depending on where they were going. Since we can not do so, would you be willing to advertise that you are carrying????

·
Registered
580 Posts
No, i would not advertise that i am carrying.
The #1 reason being is that the BG's would know who they would have to control first to do their illegal thing.
the 2nd thing is that it would make all the rest of the sheep VERY uneasy!!!!:cool:
And 3rd, i really want to see the look on the BG's face when i sneak up on him and he See's my G19 aimed at his head cocked, locked and ready to rock:rolf
I would just rather stay incognito.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't put stickers on my truck. I don't care what htey are for, it just ain't happening. Even the "My kid is a xxx xxx" doesn't go on my truck.

I do wear a t-shirt for a gun shop that went out of business though. It is one of the few that still fit over everything without printing...

·
Super Moderator
10,821 Posts
And 3rd, i really want to see the look on the BG's face when i sneak up on him and he See's my G19 aimed at his head cocked, locked and ready to rock.
Now how would a BG know whether a Glock was cocked and locked :rolleyes: ?

But I agree, the look would be priceless either way. :)

·
Registered
580 Posts
I would hope that he is smart enough to know if he didn't hear me rack the slide and it's pointing at his head that it is now time to soil his pants.:rolf
And maybe he is smart enough to know that with a Glock, there is no safety, all i gotta do is squeeze.:ak
OHHHH this is soooo much fun talking about this:laughing

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I ask because I am on the fence about open carry. I think since we are in florida and can not OC then advertising with a shirt that says "I love my Smith" or "team Glock" etc..... is the next best thing to say that you are armed and to do so legally. I have family that lives in GA where OC is legal and have read some OC forums. I am on the fence because I think both persons for and again OC have good points. Like CC says I dont want to bring attention to myself and I want to be able to sneak up on someone. OC people think that it can keep things from happening in the 1st place. For example, there is some BG casing a 7-11 waiting for the right time to go in and rob the place, he sees you get out of your car with a shirt on that would advertise you may be armed. He very well could wait until you left before he attacked. I think this is a GOOD possibility. The only way it would not work is if he was hell bent on killing the people in the store in which case you probably would be shot before you could react anyway. Just my .02

1 - 17 of 17 Posts