Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting up in age and am re-writting my will, I wish to leave a young student of mine who is over 21, one of my pistols.

I am unsure of what problems may arise and could use some advice.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
I will send you a PM with my phone number and would be happy to chat with you. You can basically do anything you want to. It’s your stuff.

When I was single, my will said that my two former charter boat captains would take out all my living law partners on a fishing trip. The one who caught the largest fish by weight during the day would get my entire estate. Now, with the wife step kids it’s a lot different.

I showed the old will to probate judge friend of mine and he cracked up and thought it was perfectly legal. Sometimes my sense of humor is hard to control. My wife is 12 years younger and very likely will outlive me. I have a recording I made for her to play at my funeral that says “is everybody dead in here or is it just me?“

i’m sending you the number now.

Shark

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I have a recording I made for her to play at my funeral that says “is everybody dead in here or is it just me?“
Shark
Now that funny,

AD

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
I am to be cremated. Marshmallows are to be served.

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
So am I, AF. And my ashes scattered as widely as possible. I don't want any reminants of me left on this Earth whatosever. You can put cenotaphs in certain family like places if you like, but absolutely none of my remains. I will also provide for the redistribution of my personal property. Some specific items will go to specific family. The rest to be sold and the proceeds divided up to some others in the family.

Shark - can you put "disposition of the body/remains" instructions in your will or is that a separate document?

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
I can’t really help with hypothetical questions but if you want I’ll send you a phone number and I’d be glad to chat with you also. Generally speaking, I have told people not to get too bogged down in whether or not and Sue gets the lamp with the monkeys and uncle Joe gets there wall hanging of the dogs playing poker.

Simpler is often better, in Florida they call it the “personal representative“ in other states they have different names but that’s the person that takes charge of your assets and the distribution thereof. The key is that you pick somebody you absolutely trust and give them the directions as to how you want your body and remains handled. I am the last one standing in my immediate family, My dad was a big fisherman and he and I fished together for years. I put his ashes in a charter boat I owned and operated. When mom died, little brother was starting to get sick and he ultimately died. I took all their ashes at once about 250 yards north of Buoy number 4 offshore of Cape Canaveral. Dad had told me the mom was his first real love and he wanted their ashes to be taken to sea together.

i’ve got the same instructions to where I want to be dumped. I had given a lot of thought to having my ashes spread on the salad bar at the Golden corral as one last act of defiance but decided otherwise.( honey, did you hear those weird croutons laughing?)

I’ll send you my phone number.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Rick:

Do you know I’ve retired but I still know a fair amount of the stuff still keep up-to-date. If there’s anything I can ever do to take the heat off you, please don’t hesitate to reach out.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
My family turned on me like a pack of wolves after I inherited a house so the GOA may profit from my ending. It was very ugly and I was very young and surprised by it in not a good way.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
My immediate family was never a problem. I learned generosity from my dad’s example and had a problem learning mom’s frugality and conservatism that kept food on the table. I will unhesitatingly spend my last dime as quickly as I spent my first.

My mother’s side was a bunch of Yankees. Grandma lived with us for years for free. Grandma used to have a little red rubber change purse that you kind of pinched and it opened up. When she died, the Yankees showed up and went through her room. They were like a horde of locusts and I noticed they took all the quarters dimes and nickels out of her a little change purse. I know exactly what you’re talking about. You never really know anybody till you split an inheritance with them.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Why wait until you're dead?
Give it to him now and see the joy and gratitude on his face.

AFS

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
I’ve always said if you have a problem that can be solved with money, you don’t have a problem.

AFS, very good advice. I just gave my pristine model 10 to my middle stepdaughter. My mother bought it from Prager’s gun shop in Orlando for 60 bucks when it was new.

·
Registered
20,394 Posts
My immediate family was never a problem. I learned generosity from my dad’s example and had a problem learning mom’s frugality and conservatism that kept food on the table. I will unhesitatingly spend my last dime as quickly as I spent my first.

My mother’s side was a bunch of Yankees. Grandma lived with us for years for free. Grandma used to have a little red rubber change purse that you kind of pinched and it opened up. When she died, the Yankees showed up and went through her room. They were like a horde of locusts and I noticed they took all the quarters dimes and nickels out of her a little change purse. I know exactly what you’re talking about. You never really know anybody till you split an inheritance with them.
my family went through my mother's house like a pack of ravenous animals when she passed...i had to call a nephew on his way out of town and tell him to turn around and bring back something my brother told him he could take as it was promised to my 4 year old daughter and it disappeared immediately...i wanted to burn the house down to keep them away...interesting what happens to people when someone passes...when my father passed ten years earlier one of my brothers who had no interest in guns grabbed dads, knowing i was the one who shot with him...then sold them off...i told him i wanted a particular handgun and he went to the friend he practically gave it to tryingt o buy it back...only to find out the friend had already flipped it...nothing but disappointment...i was fortunate that my mother had set aside a navy ring of my fathers for me...it was something i fell in love with as a tike and she never forgot it...

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
I have never spoken to any of them in 35 years and are not going to. It would have been the NRA but after seeing that it's a piggie bank for their top 5 members I'm still on the fence about continueing to be a member.

·
Registered
54,581 Posts
I set up my estate planning as follows

1. What's in the documents as to who gets what

a. house, bikes, cars
b. the roth ira
c firearms; ammo, miscellaneous sundries

Each gets a % of the above, and the document affords the following warning to all of them. Contest the document as to who gets what, you automatically get zip, and the others split that share equally. If any of them take MY wishes to court to contest it, the judge sees the following in the document/s.

This avoids probate and court fees

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
I set up my estate planning as follows

1. What's in the documents as to who gets what

a. house, bikes, cars
b. the roth ira
c firearms; ammo, miscellaneous sundries

Each gets a % of the above, and the document affords the following warning to all of them. Contest the document as to who gets what, you automatically get zip, and the others split that share equally. If any of them take MY wishes to court to contest it, the judge sees the following in the document/s.

This avoids probate and court fees
Did you run it by local atty to make sure it complies with your state’s requirements? Sometimes it’s tricky.

Roger

1 - 20 of 22 Posts