Florida Concealed Carry banner

In Real Life, the Bad Guy Gets to Go First

838 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  BeerHunter 
#1 ·
Another excellent article from trainer/retired LEO/writer Greg Ellifritz:

"Even folks who are normally aware of what’s going on get surprised sometimes. I bet I could hit most of you with a hammer the next time you are placing groceries on the conveyor belt at the store or standing in line at the bank. No one is immune from an ambush-style attack."

#3 ·
1st hurdle is staying cognizant, conscious, alive after a hammer blow to the head. :oops:
Have had some hard blows to the head, not up for practicing that or participation in activities that might cause head trauma like that again.

#4 ·
As someone who professionally stalked people on the streets for near 3 decades, anyone can be a victim at least part of the time.

Had a student in Fla that had mentioned he was always in yellow, people just couldn't surprise him. I saw him pull into the restaurant where the group was meeting that Friday night before training. I jumped up and got out into the parking lot. Kept vehicles between his route to the entrance from the lot and myself.

As he was walking into the outdoor seating area, I quietly tapped him on the shoulder with "you've just been had". It's not difficult to get to anyone at certain times/locations. After decades of stalking [ usually with a camera ] others activities it became very easy to do so.

Criminals get the same ability from doing what I was paid to do over an extended period of time.

#5 ·
Criminals get the same ability from doing what I was paid to do over an extended period of time.
And criminals have the added advantage of incorporating it as a part of their everyday work-world. For regular folks, violent encounters are a rarity. For criminals, they are tools of the trade.

#6 ·
As someone who professionally stalked people on the streets for near 3 decades, anyone can be a victim at least part of the time.

Had a student in Fla that had mentioned he was always in yellow, people just couldn't surprise him. I saw him pull into the restaurant where the group was meeting that Friday night before training. I jumped up and got out into the parking lot. Kept vehicles between his route to the entrance from the lot and myself.

As he was walking into the outdoor seating area, I quietly tapped him on the shoulder with "you've just been had". It's not difficult to get to anyone at certain times/locations. After decades of stalking [ usually with a camera ] others activities it became very easy to do so.

If I remember clearly, that was the Friday night meet-up at the Wing House in Daytona before one of your Volusia courses. I'd just pulled into the parking lot a few minutes prior after driving straight through from the DPRofMD and you went out to the parking lot to surprise another student you knew. 😁 Unless of course, you're referring to another event. Regardless, that was a very effective illustration of catching an unsuspecting person completely off-guard.

#7 · (Edited)
Good memory sir, that's the one. If one is targeted, the targeter can choose the course of action to intercept or get close unnoticed.

That's why I really enjoyed my job on the streets. It was a game every day. Can I catch them doing something stupid on film [ or no camera ] without their knowing I'm close. Hey sometimes I'd get caught, that was to be expected. Some of the BG's were always scanning, take notes. They weren't as easy as a normal BG, who didn't even know he was being investigated/watched [ which would be the case in any setting the targeted didn't expect someone targeting them ].

#8 ·
Things can happen """FAST""" and fast enough you just can not think.
I told you about the few guys walking toward me and one just came at me """FAST""" enough I could not get to my gun if I had my hand on it. I don't know why, But I just went down on my hands and knees in front of him and when he tripped over me , I just got up and got away as I was getting my gun out.
His two friends were laughing to hard to even think about coming after me.
I'm guessing it was the "SUCKER PUNCH GAME"
I am disabled and can not really run and if they did come after me, I would not hesitate to shoot them.
My knee and right shoulder never recovered fully from the event.
If I knew where these guys are, I still would shoot them because the pain in my right knee and Right shoulder still bothers me enough that I will never forgive them.
Do not think you can do much if someone runs up behind you and hits you with a hammer or anything
It is better to just keep your eyes peeled all the time and if anyone looks suspicious, Try to have a strategy to avoid them.
(((IF POSSABLE)))
Ronnie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.