Florida Concealed Carry banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
FWIW, MamaBear, I've flown with handguns many times and never had a problem. No one has even wanted me to prove the weapons were unloaded (???). Just sign the red tag and lock the box. I always say 'firearm' as opposed to gun or weapon. Joeyvco's experience was, in my mind, an outlier to the norm.
Good advise,especially in airports. Never use the "G" word.

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
No one has even wanted me to prove the weapons were unloaded (???). Just sign the red tag and lock the box.
Same here. They don't want to even see the firearm. I've done this many many times. The only "hassle" is that some airports require you to accompany the luggage to the TSA scanning area and wait until they've scanned it. Then they give you a thumbs up, and you're on your way.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Same here. They don't want to even see the firearm. I've done this many many times. The only "hassle" is that some airports require you to accompany the luggage to the TSA scanning area and wait until they've scanned it. Then they give you a thumbs up, and you're on your way.

I wouldn't do it in EWR or LGA/JFK...... You might find a "difference" in the response....

·
Super Moderator
6,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I'm taking three boxes of ammo since my sisters can't find it up there.

I was also checking to see if I could take my mini flashlight in my purse and saw this. I'm not sure how this got by the nazi TSA people.

Light Saber
  • Carry On Bags: Yes
  • Checked Bags: Yes
Sadly, the technology doesn't currently exist to create a real lightsaber. However, you can pack a toy lightsaber in your carry-on or checked bag. May the force be with you.

Reactions: Rick McC.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
You know, when taken in its entirely, the list of TSA allowed items is actually pretty interesting.
For example...

Antlers
Any self-respecting terrorist worth his salt could make plenty of improvised weapons out of a set of antlers.
What were they thinking!?

Crochet Hooks
Knitting Needles
Corkscrews (with no blade)
Magic 8 Ball
  • Carry On Bags: No
For Carry-on bags: We asked the Magic 8 Ball and it told us…Outlook not so good!
For Checked bags: We asked the Magic 8 Ball and it told us…It is certain!

(At least they have a sense of humor...)

Screwdrivers (shorter than 7 inches)
Tools 7 inches or shorter (measured from end to end when assembled) are allowed in carry-on baggage.

Note: No mention whether the screwdriver has to be flat or Phillips. :)

Tortilla Press
Really?! Who the hell takes a tortilla press on vacation?

Geiger Counters
Harry Potter wand
Note: If these wands actually worked, it would make this list totally unnecessary.

Hookahs
Well, Yeah. Duh!?

Live Fish
  • Checked Bags: No
Live fish in water and a clear transparent container are allowed after inspection by the TSA officer.

Night Vision Goggles
Play-doh
(That explains a lot right there!)

·
Super Moderator
10,608 Posts
I can take my Geiger counter?

Thank goodness! Now that changes the whole complexion of my next trip. Let's see here...…..

·
Super Moderator
6,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I survived my trip.

Checked three boxes of 100 rounds each of ammo on the way up. I was told to go to another counter and then told them I had ammo. He put the B'ham sticker on my luggage and told me to have a nice flight. No one cares. Then I went through TSA check in with my carry on and sailed right through. I had a tactical ink pen that only wrote on one end because the other one can be used to stab something, a small tactical flashlight in each bag which can also be used as defense if necessary, and a small wooden dowel that Brownie gave me years ago. I had my LCP and S&W Shield holsters in my checked baggage so I could carry my sister's guns while I was up there. It worked out just fine. We added a stop in Gatlinburg on the way up.

I also made the decision to leave my sister's guns at the home we were staying when we made an excursion through Maryland to get to Gettysburg. It just wasn't worth it to me. I took all the above mentioned stuff with me though. We were just over an hour away from Lancaster when the riots broke out that night. I have to say Gettysburg is an amazing city and I felt completely safe even when out at night.

I'm playing catch up now that I am back home.

Just thought I'd check in with an update.

·
Super Moderator
10,608 Posts
Glad you're home safe, MB. These are troubling times to be travelling through the badlands.

·
Super Moderator
27,170 Posts
Glad you had a safe but enjoyable trip. Have to agree about Gettysburg. (y)

·
Registered
8,053 Posts
Glad you had a safe but enjoyable trip. Have to agree about Gettysburg. (y)
Me too, MB.

Your post about your various accoutrements gave me a chuckle; thinking about your “stick of death” passing muster by the officials in the badlands.
S4 made mine.

·
Super Moderator
27,170 Posts
I've stood right next to that statue of BGEN Warren on Little Round Top! Thanks for the photos, MamaBear! (y) (y)

21 - 37 of 37 Posts